Almost lost a wheel cover

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Almost lost a wheel cover

Post by Dallas Baillio »

While driving on an extended trip a couple of months ago I exited my BF and saw that the right rear wheel cover was only attached to the wheel by one of the two sets of stud extenders and jam nuts. I had the tires rotated before I left on the trip so the only assumption I could make was the mechanic failed to sufficiently tighten one set. I found that the parts needed for repair are only available from Dicor, the manufacturer of the wheel covers. So those reading this post may want to consider ordering a set in the event you lose one. From left to right in the photo I have included are the stud extender, jam nut and the lug nut cover. For my BF one set costs $10.05 plus shipping.

http://www.dicor.com/Product.aspx?ID=1
Attachments
IMG_2346.JPG
IMG_2346.JPG (94.62 KiB) Viewed 14879 times
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
sutton

Post by sutton »

Hi there -- Would you happen to recall the part number of those lugnuts that you have for your BornFree. I am missing one from my rear tire... and need to order one pronto. The link that you provided no longer works (they must have changed the website !!)....

Thanks in advance
Angela
Angela Sutton ..... and the labradors and border collies :-)
2003 24RB
whemme

Post by whemme »

Angela,

Go to the following topic titled Replacement parts for Dicor Versa-Liner Wheel Covers which is located in the forum area titled Technical Library.

You will find the P/N's there and a couple of online places to order those parts.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

Consider stopping by any auto parts store and buying a small tube of "blue" Locktite. Remove the nuts which hold the hubcap on and put a drop or two on the threads and put them back on. This will keep them from loosening as you travel.

Don't use the "red" Locktite as that is intended to me more permanent.
liginbf

Post by liginbf »

V160SD-STX stud extender $3.05ea

V160SD-JNT jam nut $3.05ea

V160FO-LNC lug nut cover $3.95ea

Dicor Corp 574-264-2699 I believe the torque spec is 60lbs (dry) on jam nut , please check Dicor website. If you use Locktite you may encounter the stud ext and jam nut come off together w/wheel liner. If all hardware is properly torqued you should have no problems.
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

On my E-450 chassis with the lug nuts installed and tightened, it only leaves about 4 or 5 threads on the end of the stud to install the stud extender. If you try to apply 60 "foot" pounds of torque, don't you risk stripping the threads on the end of the stud? That seems like very high torque to put on so few threads. 60 "inch" pounds seems to low so I am assuming you meant "foot pounds".

I understand you said to 60 pounds on the jam nut, but if you put more torque on the nut than you used installing the stud extender the extra torque may tighten the stud extender and possibly strip the threads on the end of the stud. Especially if the threads on the stud extender and jam nut are not perfectly clean & dry (a little corrosion on the threads is not unusual). [/b]
whemme

Post by whemme »

Yes, torque by definition is a force applied over a distance or moment arm, and therefore is normally stated as 60 foot-lbs or 60 inch-lbs and not a 60 lbs which is force only.

Since, the torque spec for tightening the 8 wheel lug nuts is 120 foot-lbs, 60 foot-lbs is way too much torque for either the stud extender or the decorative jam nuts. I have checked the Dicor website and noted their recommended torque of 60 foot-lbs for the front Versa-Liner Wheel Covers and 30 to 35 foot-lbs for the rear covers. However, you would never be able to apply that much torque tightening those Dicor parts with the tool provided in your tool bag supplied for that purpose. My opinion is that those torque values are wrong, wrong, wrong!

So, I would guess the tightening torque that should be used would be in inch-lbs not foot-lbs.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Post removed
Last edited by Dallas Baillio on Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Post by Virgil and Anne Dutton »

The specification which I believe applies is found in the following url and on page 6 of these installation instructions. It specifies 30 to 35 ft/lbs for both the stud extender and the jam nut. This seems to be a reasonable torque to me.

https://dicorproducts.com/images/shared ... lation.pdf

Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
whemme

Post by whemme »

Virgil,

I looked at that same Dicor pdf file you refer to. That tool shown on page 5 is the same one I have for tightening both the stud extenders and the jam nuts. My opinion is that it would be very difficult to get even 30 foot-lbs of torque out of that tool. The shaft of my tool would bend before reaching that much torque.

I do know this from experience. You do want to tighten the stud extenders with a greater torque than the jam nuts. Otherwise, when you go to remove a wheel cover by removing the two jam nuts, the stud extenders might unscrew first making removal of the wheel cover more difficult.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Virgil and Anne Dutton

You are right about that tool Bill. You would almost certianly need a cheater bar to get that degree of torque. I always use a socket wrench. Also, as you stated, the jam nut does not always come off before it turns both. Tightening the adapter tighter than the jam nut would probably help that but probably not guarantee it.

Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
PA0AAH

Almost lost wheelcover

Post by PA0AAH »

Hello, My Dicor V160F2 documentation says: For studextender and nut a torque of 40 ft-lbs. for all 4 covers. Mind the direction of the jamnut.
It has a rim ( ??? ) that has to "bite "in the extender.
It also looks tapered to me.
The foto, in the first thread, shows the rim.
Jos
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Because of this discussion, I removed and reinstalled the front wheel covers on my BFT today. Even though I have done this many times before, I did it this time to evaluate what we have. The stud extender has only 2 to 3 threads of engagement when installed. As a mechanical designer, that concerns me, however that is what they, Dicor, have to work with. Because of the minimal threads for engagement, one needs to be very careful to not apply too much torque, which could result in stripped threads. That is probably why Dicor provided such an anemic tool for installation. I used a torque wrench and tightened the stud extenders and the jam nuts to 30 ft-lbs torque. That really isn’t very much. I also applied a drop of Locktite 202 (blue) to the threads of the wheel studs and then installed the stud extenders. I then placed in position the wheel covers and then applied some locktite 202 to the face of the jam nuts, not the threads, and installed them. The thought is that, as mentioned by Bill Hemme, sometimes both the stud extender and the jam nut will turn together when attempting removal and that becomes a problem. Loctite on the extension threads should hold the extension from rotating during removal of the jam nut. Dicor claims the serrations on the face of the jam nuts provide a locking feature but I can’t see anything there that looks effective. I think loctite on that face along with the serrations may help the jam nuts from coming loose however proper torque is the best bet.

Just my thoughts,
Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
ewagman

Re: Almost lost a wheel cover

Post by ewagman »

Old topic, but I see one of my lug nut simulators has vanished. Born Free has them on their web site, as well as several other "consumables". $6 shipped is much less than I paid elsewhere the last time, and your purchase helps support BF.

http://shop.bornfreerv.com/
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
ewagman

Re: Almost lost a wheel cover

Post by ewagman »

ewagman wrote:Old topic, but I see one of my lug nut simulators has vanished. Born Free has them on their web site, as well as several other "consumables". $6 shipped is much less than I paid elsewhere the last time, and your purchase helps support BF.

http://shop.bornfreerv.com/
New lug nut cover and outside door stop/ catch came today, 3 days, securely packaged, Iowa to east coast. Thank you to Born Free's store.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”