What to use on the window in side door for privacy?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

What to use on the window in side door for privacy?

Post by stevek »

My BF has a fabric curtain that hangs over the window and the screen door with 3 snaps.
It is a real pain and rinky dink.... particularly when going in and out of door at nite.
Do the newer BFs have this same curtain?

The window measures 18 x 27 and is recessed about 1 1/4 inches.
I was thinking about one of those cordless 1 inch alum. blinds and trimming the corners to fit the radius corners of the window. Do you think this would work?

Any other ideas? Thanks.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Ray

Re: What to use on the window in side door for privacy?

Post by Ray »

I made a flat panel curtain out of some sunbrella material I had and put velcro tabs on it. Then put velcro tabs on the screen door. I can easily pull one upper corner loose to look out and see who's knocking on the door or whats going on out side.

The original curtain was snapped to the door. So in order to look out the window I would have to open the door, go out, separate the screen door from the main door, take the curtain off, then go back in and look out the window - that didnt make much sense to me especially if it was a late night thing and the person knocking on the door was of questionable character.

I looked at blinds and shades but just could not find a good resolve - the shades were too big at mounting over, didnt look good, and I would have to raise the shade all the way up to look out.

I looked at blinds, but thought - They are good for windows not doors.

I wanted something that would obviously cover the window, stay on the door if opened (not be caught by wind or people entering exiting RV) and be easily deployed and de-deployed (?) from inside the RV

Looked at one way view material for window surface application - but there is no such thing.

I also thought of magnets instead of velcro, but velcro won - the magnets are still stuck to the inside of my shop door, I have plans for those on the screen door - if it works I will let people know
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks Ray.
Good options and advise.
Wonder if anyone makes a window like the residential doors that Home Depot sells?
They have mini blinds mounted between the 2 panes of glass.
And I think it has a thumb-wheel of sorts, to open and close it.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Ray

Post by Ray »

I have one of those windows with the blinds between the panes on my back house door and love it - going on 10 years or so and still working good

However, not sure how the newer RV's are but my 2001 you would still have to open the complete door and then separate the screen door from the main door to get to the window - so at least on mine you could not open and close the blind from inside the RV (controls being trapped between screen and main door)

Maybe newer RV's have a different set up

What would be really neat if there was a electronic window where all you did was flip a switch to make it clear or opaque
Ray

Post by Ray »

oh - I might mention, I also have a cut to form insulation panel that I can put in between the screen door and main door - kinda press fits into the window cavity - If I remember the commercial name is reflex - its the silver bubble wrap stuff - I buy it by the 4 foot wide 25 foot long roll at Menards.

Actually I have those panels made for almost all the windows including the front windshield (that realy/realy helps keep heat out) - The two side (drivers/passenger) windows I have some corrugated ridged panels cut to fit that block most the heat but lets some light thru (cant see thru) - I think the commercial name for that is something like Correx (?) - I get that by the 4x8 sheet from a local print shop. Looks pretty good from the outside.

Except for the windshield and front side windows I only mainly use the insulation panels when the RV is in out side storage where heat and UV are your greatest enemy

If I ever learn how to make the pics from my camera smaller so I can post them I will do that
sw23185

Post by sw23185 »

[ deleted ]
Last edited by sw23185 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

My curtain has 3 snaps on the carpeted material above the door. We cut the curtain down from full length so it only covers the actual window. Made it easier to move out of the way for exiting or getting back in.

It was really simple for me because my wife did it :lol:

John
whemme

Post by whemme »

My 2002 BF 26' RSB coach came with a full length curtain to cover the inside of the entry door and it had a 1" strip of black Velcro stitched along the top which fastened to the interior white covering fabric above the door and the rest of the interior. Works very well and is quick to install and remove. So, this curtain uses velcro rather than the 3 snaps that others seem to b equipped with.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
dowellcj

Post by dowellcj »

I too cut the curtain down from full length to where it just covers the window. Then with the left over material, I made two 1" wide straps with Velcro on them, and attached them to the top of the curtain in between the snaps. The curtain is then stored snapped in place rolled up, with the straps securing it. When it is time to put it down, I unvelcro the straps. In the morning, it just gets rolled up again.
Caryl & Tom Dowell
Sequim, WA
2015 Splendor (27 RSB)
Prior coach 2008 24RB
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

I chose to use a small venetian blind which worked well for us. To maintain the factory look it did require a new wall piece with a spacer, a little larger than the factory and covered with the same wall material as the original.
Attachments
door blind.JPG
door blind.JPG (26.37 KiB) Viewed 11126 times
Mel & Connie
Ray

Post by Ray »

WoW ! ! -- That looks great Mel

I assume you got the material from BF to cover the valance? - or did you find it someplace else?

I realy like that --- alot
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

2005 26' RSB Casual Elegance
CANDE

Post by CANDE »

We had a stain glass insert from our 2008 24RB which was removed, but did not fix our 2014 window. I will try to attach a picture of it, if it should fail our email address is edwardfreye@att.net and I will email I directly to you.

Hope this maybe a solution for you.
Ed and Carol Freye
2016 Born Free 29' Splendor
Towing a 2014 Mini Cooper Coupe
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

Strange that this thread just started when my shade that was Velcro 'd to the door decided to detach itself when the adhesive gave out. But with poor sight lines from the passenger side window to the front door I was pondering the same issue raised in this thread. Some high end coaches have a bell/ video camera to inspect those who com knocking. But it was not until the security service at a Fl Rest Area hammered on my door at 1 am that I realized how inadequate my ability to see outside was rendered by the curtain behind the wire mesh. So far I am going with the curtain Velcro 'd to the wire mesh so that I can look behind it but I suspect the adhesive will not be adequate to hold the curtain even though the surface area is quite a bit larger than that on the curtain.

I like that Venetian blind but I do not have room to mount it above the door.
David and Susan Bratt

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

If the velcro won't stick to the fuzzy carpet any longer you can clean it out with a safety pin. Just open the pin and "comb" the fuzzy out of the velcro. Velcro doesn't really wear out - it just gets full of whatever....
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”