Cracks in GelCoat of my 2011

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

fair winds

Re: Cracks in GelCoat of my 2011

Post by fair winds »

I find it interesting to read in both BF forum and RVnet forum that BF has problems with cracks. I've lived full time in my 27 RSB since I bought it new in 2010 with very, very few problems and no cracks. The sun, whether out west or here in the east, can be problematic as well as the shade of trees which can cause green algae to grow. I found a great boat wax for fiberglas boats and RVs, Collinite in a couple forms and so far it works beautifully to prevent damage.
Perhaps the fellow who took a bit of a bash at BF on the RVnet bought one that had been abused in some manner. When did he find the cracks? Before he bought it or after? Are other BFs of that year having the same problems? Did the original owner drive it like a 4-wheel drive over rough territory? It must have a history of some sort even for the alleged short mileage and age.
Fairwinds
stevek

Post by stevek »

[quote= Did the original owner drive it like a 4-wheel drive over rough territory? It must have a history of some sort even for the alleged short mileage and age.
Fairwinds[/quote]

Nope. Only had 3500 miles when I bought it.
And I got to know the previous owner real well.
Was in pristine condition.
No abuse. No 4 wheeling. No Boony bouncing. Not even taken on a dirt road.
Driven very conservatively.
The side has never been hit.
No tree branches. No smacks. No birds. No nothing. Just the cracks.
And always kept waxed.

Thanks for recommendation on Collinite Wax. Will have to check it out.
I have been using a Carnauba Wax Plus.
Last edited by stevek on Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
fair winds

Post by fair winds »

Steve, I can see why you're very unhappy. I would be very unhappy too if I had bought used and no warranty and had that happen. However, don't despair yet and try not to turn gold into lead. :( Mine got sideswiped by a hit-and-run lawn service while I was paying to get gas at a BP station...came out to find a 13" rip in my new rig. The guy at the next pump told me what happened. I wanted to find the culprit and knock his teeth so far that he'd have to sit on his dinner plate to eat. I called BF and they suggested I not panic. Panic?! I was chewing nails! It could be fixed. I found Universal Body in Clermont, Florida and I was certain it would never, ever be the same again. Watched them fix it...great expertise, and here, years later even I can't find the exact place it was gashed. It cost less than my insurance deductible...not a cheapie, but these aren't cheap rigs. Check your insurance and see if they can cover some of the "fix" cost.
I believe BF is sound. I think they're having a rally in the spring, at least here in Florida and maybe in your area(Tucson?), so get a good boat or body shop to fix your panel, make a map of every little place on it and see if they'll do a bit extra, put a good coat of the Collinite on it, especially the roof, and go enjoy your BF. At least with the fix, you'll have a greater trade-in value. :) And meeting some of the BF folks who build these units at rallies I think you'll find very helpful and informative.

Fairwinds
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks fairwinds.
I am trying to keep a positive attitude on all this.
For life is too short.
Hey.... it only a "vehicle"...
You do the best to take care of things, but things happen.

This morning went out and looked at the side of my Born Free.
Counted about 14 small cracks. The width of the dark horizontal decal and a inch or so beyond.

It must be the HEAT build up behind the decal.
All of those 14 cracks have originated behind the decal, cracking the decal and the working its way up towards the roof and showing a crack in the gelcoat.
All of the cracks are vertical.
No spider cracks. Just individual vertical cracks.
Steve
CA/OR border
stevek

Post by stevek »

I think the cracks are originating under the decal due to sun absorption and heat build up.

Does anybody think I should peal decal off?
I think it peals off real easy.
Steve
CA/OR border
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

No helpful advice here but I've wondered for some time why manufacturers use such huge decals. IMHO, Born Frees looked better when they just had the narrow, discreet line graphics.
fair winds

Post by fair winds »

I'm in agreement, Mockturtle, about the subtle decorations. When I encounter one of the older ones on the road, there's no doubt it's a BF. The new painted ones, while charming, one must look carefully to find the logo and get past the resemblance of other brands. Branding is all important for instant recognition.
Guess everything has to change however. :)
Fairwinds
fair winds

Post by fair winds »

When bought new from BF, aren't the fiberglas bodies under a lifetime warranty of some sort? I thought the person who sold me mine said that at some point. May be in error though, but just thought I'd ask.
Fairwinds
2010 27' rsb
jeleuen

Post by jeleuen »

Do the cracks go all the way thru the fiberglass or are they only superficial at this point? My 2002 has been outside in FL sun for years and no cracks [knock on wood]. A bead of clear sealant will prevent leaks, if the cracks worsen. One does not expect this in a 3 year old pristine coach. Maybe the factory or someone who specializes in fiberglass repair can do spot repairs, less drastic than replacing the entire panel. Bill Hemme's repair was very reasonable. I've had boat repairs done that were very satisfactory. As far as the factory fixing the problem, maybe they would consider at cost or cost sharing to maintain customer relations. And, not talking down , but tact and diplomacy works better than demanding. Seems logical they would want to keep you happy.
The more the government provides, the more it is our Master.
charlesbell

Post by charlesbell »

Steve. Here is an idea that may help. Upon driving my 2013 BF home from Iowa I saw a small spot, over the top rear corner of the passenger door, about the size of the palm of a small hand, where the cab-over curves down to the body of the coach. I went to a specialty body shop (Cocoa, Florida) that works exclusively on Corvettes and fiberglass boats. The shop owner indicated it would be no problem to repair. The coach was less than three months old and Born Free/ Kim covered the total cost of about $700.
Charles / Cape Canaveral, Florida 2013 23FL
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks Charles and everyone else.
I live in a very rural area.
My closest large shopping areas are Medford, OR and Redding, CA.
Doubt if they have fiberglass repair, corvette repair, boat repair etc. But maybe.
Or, maybe down in the Bay Area in CA. Or Portland, OR.

Bummed out..... even thinking about selling my BF and moving on.
Steve
CA/OR border
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

We purchased a new 1999 Mountain Aire 5th wheel . I waxed it when it was less than 2 months old . I discovered a spider cracked area on the front cap about the size of my hand . We sold it 11 years later and it was still there same size no change no problem . I bought a 2012 left over last Feb and it has a similar area on the roof that I have no real concern about at this time . The factory can repair and match the gelcoat as can many fiberglass repair shops , however gelcoat can still stress crack , it is common , and usually just cosmetic .
2012 25' rb
Dean Gradwell

Post by Dean Gradwell »

Steve,
There is at least one boat repair shop in Medford that can fix your cracks. There may be one in Klamath Falls.
I live in Jacksonville.
Dean
2013 Triumph
stevek

Post by stevek »

I just hate to see the cracks and worry about the cracks spreading and more cracks.
Hopefully the cracks will stay the same.

Dean, I googled Fiberglass Repair, Medford Oregon. Mixed results.
That boat shop you are talking about, is it the one on Crater Lake Hwy, down from Costco?
If not, which one are you talking about?
I go to Medford about once a month.
Thanks..
Steve
CA/OR border
Dean Gradwell

Post by Dean Gradwell »

Steve,
Sorry for the late reply but I've been away.
Augies Boat Repair on Vilas Rd. So that would be before Costco coming from your direction.
Dean
2013 Triumph

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”