E450 Rear Brake Failure

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

karls

Re: E450 Rear Brake Failure

Post by karls »

My 1998 24 RB has drum brakes in the rear, so no sticking puck problems.

Wonder when Ford switched to discs?
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

karls wrote:My 1998 24 RB has drum brakes in the rear, so no sticking puck problems.

Such fond memories of drum brakes I have. The heat fade to no brakes left when worked hard from high speed or down long hills, water from rain or puddles reducing their effectiveness, sometimes totally. But the best part, if you ever replaced the linings yourself, was fighting those blanky blank springs. You would bust your gut stretching them almost to the mounting post, then having them fly off at high speed to who knows where. Not to forget the necessary rebuilding and bleeding the wheel cylinders. I've got a no longer used brake hone somewhere.

Changing disc pads is so uneventful, a few minutes and no real excitement. And the brakes work, short of very excessive abuse or neglect. Reminds me, I have never lubed my sliders either.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
ddpjep

Post by ddpjep »

karls wrote:My 1998 24 RB has drum brakes in the rear, so no sticking puck problems.

My 1998 23RK model was built on the new at that time E-Super Duty chassis, which was the same as the later E450 chassis. Soon after that Ford built E350 Super Duty and E450 Super Duty chassises. All of the Econoline Super Duty chassises had 8-foot wide rear axles with disc brakes.
Kevin Mason

Re: E450 Front Brakes Rotor Hub

Post by Kevin Mason »

Does anybody out there have any info on the replacement of 2006 E450 super duty front Rotor / Hubs. All of the internet shops that sell OEM parts call out Part # BRRF-21, but the Ford dealer says Part # BRRF-309. Thanks ahead for the info.

Kevin Mason
2006 RB
cmeadows

Post by cmeadows »

Kevin,

These numbers appear to refer to the same part: Alternate/OEM Part Number BRR30, BRR309, BRRF21, YC2J2C501EA, YC2Z1V102EA. RockAuto lists these two for $134.79:

MOTORCRAFT BRRF21
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1832650

MOTORCRAFT BRR309
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8397488

Chuck
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
Kevin Mason

Post by Kevin Mason »

Chuck, thanks for the info. I guess I have been staring at the part numbers to long, I was on Rockauto, and missed all that info.

Thanks again
Kevin Mason
cmeadows

Post by cmeadows »

Those are the heaviest rotors that I’ve removed, repacked and installed. I installed new seals after repacking the bearings. The only challenge is reinstalling the rotor without dragging the seal on the spindle threads.
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Curt just replaced both side rear rotor, seals, calipers, bearings and brake pads a few weeks ago. It cost us a couple of hundred dollars for parts. It's a big job, but they work great.

Good luck Bill.
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”