black water seepage

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jdarryl

black water seepage

Post by jdarryl »

When I empty my black water there is always a little seepage in the outlet pipe as I open the cover plate. Any ideas on what might be happening? I have noticed that the valve release lever doesn't go in as far in as the gray water valve, but I haven't been able to get it to go in as far as the gray water valve. Does the black water valve go in as far as the gray water valve when closed?
mi99amigo

Post by mi99amigo »

Before buying my BF last year, I tried to read everything there is to read on BFs. I read a lot. The black tank seepage is a common complaint. After taking delivery of my 2005, I found the same thing. It is not a lot, maybe a cup or so. I simpply got good at holding the hose right below the cap and opening the cap gently.
litehous

black water seepage

Post by litehous »

I had a problem with my black water tank leaking a couple of years ago. I had some paper in the valve track. Kim sent me a new valve, it was easy to replace, dirty, but easy. BF is the only one I've seen that is easy to take apart. Remove the valve clean the track with a small piece of wire or knife and replace it.
Brent

Post by Brent »

I have the same problem. It started 4 years ago as a small amount, now it is too much.

I think I read somewhere that at some point a seal needed to be replaced, but I haven't checked into it in detail.

Anyone who has had exerience correcting the problem have any advice?
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
jhillis625

Post by jhillis625 »

Litehous, is correct. When paper gets caught in the valve as it is closed then it dosen't close all the way therefore it will leak. This has happened to me twice in the last 7 years. Mine did not need a new valve, but did need disassembling for cleaning.
In order to to do this I make sure the right side of the coach is elevated when draining the tank. Next I make sure the left side (drain side) is elevated so as when I remove the valve it won't be so messy. I then remove the 4 bolts remove the valve clean out the paper and reinstall the valve. "Note" the valve should now close all the way.
.Jim
:lol: :) javascript:emoticon(':)')
Smile
mi99amigo

Post by mi99amigo »

I would like to try removing the volve. Is it as simple as removing the bolts? Any special tricks? I like the idea of having the valve side of the coach elevated.

Thanks!!
jhillis625

Post by jhillis625 »

Chris, yes just 4 each 1/4 inch bolts 1-3/4 inch long. I used a 7/16 inch socket with a rachet and a 7/16 inch open end box combination on the other end. Im going to change out the bolts and use stainless steel, I already have them.
By the way last time I did mine I was in New Hampshire that was about a month ago. Hope it goes well for you.
Jim
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Post by Virgil and Anne Dutton »

I have the same seepage problem but it happens only when I am driving the coach down the road. It does not happen when the coach is setting stationary. I suspect the valve is flexing between the two halves due to vibration and bouncing. When I get home I will try to provide a better support for the black tank discharge pipe and hope that solves the problem.

Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
bill crommett

leakage

Post by bill crommett »

I have been having the same problem, so yesterday I filled the empty tanks 2/3 full and drove to the count park to dump them. When I got home I put about 4 inches of planks under the right rear wheels and left the tanks to dribble thier last during the night. This moning I moved the unit off the planks in preparation for diss-assembly of the valve and cleaning the wad of paper from the groove. By that time the sun was shining on my parking spot so I decided that procrastination woul be the order of the day and that there would be ample time for this onerous job tomorow - or next week.

So, I am off to Lowes for some stainless steel 1/4 inch bolts.

(I also driiled a small hole above the plunger rods to allow me to squirt some tri-flow in to lubricate the slides. This hole can be plugged with a small short # 6 screw to eliminate leakage from the new hole )

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”