on demand hot water heater

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Paul covert

on demand hot water heater

Post by Paul covert »

we just purchased a 2014 Majestic model, 31 ft. we can not get the on demand hot water system to make hot water. we set the dial at the 9 oclock position and run the water at a low speed. the fan at the heater comes on and runs for a few seconds and then shuts down.

any suggestions?

thanks

Paul
harrisgowing

Re: on demand hot water heater

Post by harrisgowing »

We had some difficulties operating the on demand hot water heater in our 2015 Splendor. After fianlly reading the manual, we made sure there was no air in all of the lines and learned that the force of the water flow contols the heat of the water. The more force, the more heat. Try turning on the hot water tap full force, if you haven't done so, and then regulate the heat of the water by the heat dial. Our dial is set at 5 and this has worked for us. Because you have to have the water force so high, you do use more water, however. Hope this helps! If not, call Kim
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
Dude

Post by Dude »

I just bunked with a buddy on a guys weekend who had an on-demand HWH in his HTT. I thought it was a PIA. You had to let the water run a bit before it got hot which is how it is designed......but when you camp without water hook ups you are wasting fresh water and filling your gray tank prematurely waiting for the hot water to come.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
richnwendy

Post by richnwendy »

We got factory rep online to help us find re-set button ( which was not shown in manual), and learned that you can't "trickle" hot water. All on or not. Temperature dial on control panel can be adjusted. Have had no problems since original malfunction (operator error...I was rinsing dishes with a trickle of hot water).
Happy trails. Rich and Wendy
2014 23' Freedom (2nd BF)
Re-starting retirement
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Matt hits the nail on the head for boondockers. Any waste of water is a problem. New is not always better. I had a conversation with a BF owner at the homecoming in June and he expressed the same concern about wasted water.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

I think the old style hot water heater is still available as an option from Born Free (at campground with sloooooow wifi, so can't go on BF web site). Given what I have heard on this site, I would definitely NOT go with the on-demand water heater. The single most important thing we manage is water consumption. Having to do dishes with water at full flow will not hack it.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
charlesbell

Post by charlesbell »

When I ordered my 2013 coach I elected the old style water heater as I wanted the electric option (along with the gas). Having read the recent post I'm glad I chose the old style gas-electric water heater.
Charles / Cape Canaveral, Florida 2013 23FL
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

Because we liked the taste and purity of our domestic water, we have always tried to be ultra conservative with the water tank supply.. That is why we seldom turned on the water heater and used our tea kettle for hot water. The tea kettle in this case is a large Pyrex bowl / measuring cup.
The RV showers are a joke, so we rely on the occasional campground showers and in between time
we exist on a P T A bath.
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

I have experienced all the problems discussed above withe on-demand system. I would add that the hot water pipes from the heater to the faucets that run outside (in particular) the coach are not insulated. So when you interrupt the hot water flow for longer than 30 seconds (Spring, Winter or Fall) the water cools off and you have to begin again with more water wastage. Its the same as keeping the hot water running event though you do not need it give or take a pint or so. I have found contrary to some that when you set the faucet about half way so that the pump is pulsing the water, its definitely hotter than at full flow. You cannot trickle it but at the sink or in the bathroom, the half way setting raises the temperature.

At present the ambient is 38 and even with the regulator set to full hot at about 6 o'clock on the dial, its not producing hot water until the pipes are fully warmed up. However at a half setting on the faucet this takes much less time and water loss.
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

A small circulating pump, activated for less than 30 seconds, can supply hot water to the shower or all faucets without any waste.

Let's think about it.

As an additional benefit, it could be used to prevent freezing of the pipes. Some plumbing and electrical work is required. :D
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
funpilot

Post by funpilot »

I had a Truma Comfort on demand hot water heater in the trailer I just sold. It worked perfectly. None of the issues I have read about in other brands occurred with us. You can turn it down to a trickle and it still comes out hot. If, and when, I get another Born Free, getting another Truma will be the first thing I do.
gwb36

Post by gwb36 »

I agree with funpilot. There is a short learning curve, the on demand hot water heater is a lot different in operation, but the bottom line is my wife likes it just as much as me.
George W Becker
2015 Born Free Triumph w/slide
Birmingham Alabama
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

On a very cold day am I to believe that I will get instant hot water without any waste? I boondock a lot and have a list of things I do to conserve water. ANY water wasted is a problem.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

[quote="Dallas Baillio"]On a very cold day am I to believe that I will get instant hot water without any waste? I boondock a lot and have a list of things I do to conserve water. ANY water wasted is a problem.[/quote]

Yes but you have to allow for the length of the hot water pipe run to your outlet. To the extent these pipes are exposed to the exterior, the water in them will cool rapidly so every time you switch the water on you have to either use the 5 seconds of cold water or waste it. Better insulation will minimise this.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”