DC Battery issue

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

whemme

Post by whemme »

CORRECTION! In my last post, the battery cutoff switch is located below the left side of the driver's side seat - not the right side.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

whemme wrote:<snip>
First, from your recent postings, you never mention using your coach battery cutoff switch which leads me to believe that you may not be aware of it. As Mike and Jean mentioned in their recent post when putting your coach into storage you need to shut of this switch to remove all loads from your coach batteries. Now if you want your interior lights, water pump, etc to work during storage of course you will need to turn this switch back ON or plug into shore line power. In my 2002 26' RSB coach and in my earlier 1999 24' RB coach, this cutoff switch was located down below the right side of the driver's side front seat. It may be located elsewhere in other BF coaches.
<snip>
Also remember that you can overcharge your batteries while out camping and hooked up to shoreline power. Extended periods of time connected to shoreline power while camping is no different than while connected during times of storage. To avoid overcharging your batteries while camping and plugged into shore line power you can shut off the battery charging section of the Parallax 7345 Charger/Converter by just shutting OFF the 30-amp MAIN circuit breaker in your power panel during the day when your are gone from your coach. Refer to my Photo #2 in the link to my website showing the detailed installation procedure for the PD9160A system. The left most circuit breaker is the MAIN breaker and when shut off will stop and charging of the coach batteries from the shore line power connection. Of course when you are back in the coach and need to run AC powered items, you will need to turn this breaker back ON.
<snip>
Rather than try to manage the time the converter is turned on, I take a different approach than Bill. If I have shore power available, I will plug in and disconnect the batteries with the battery disconnect switch. After driving to the camp ground we usually arrive with the batteries fully charged. There's no need to plug into shore power and continue charging them. In fact, I only turn the battery switch back on when I unplug the shore power. The solar controller keeps them topped off while disconnected from the converter.

The 12 VDC supply from the 7345 converter appears to be pretty clean and well regulated - even without the filtering affect from the disconnected batteries. The TV picture is actually cleaner running on the 12VDC from the converter than the AC coming from the generator.

PS. Our battery cutoff switch is on the wardrobe wall in the entry way.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
whemme

Post by whemme »

Mike & Jean,

It just goes to show that there are generally several ways to manage an issue such as keeping coach batteries charged during longer session os dry camping. I appreciate your input
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

It appears I will have to develop a strategy that works for me and takes care of my batteries (a strategy that works for my schedule.)

I've never put my rig in storage. It's only ever beein in the same place once for longer than 3 weeks. And I'm leaving within 24 hours again.

The battery shut of is right inside the door next to the pantry (floor level) in the 26' RB FSD.

I am learning a ton. Mind if I copy this conversation to my book (maintenance).

I usually only plug in if I'm going to be doing some vaccuming or watching TV. My TV is an AC but that's another issue for another thread, it's CD with an AC converter but I can't find a way to bypass that and just use DC. It's brand new...so I have not had time to really look into it.

Thanks all so much.
Ralph Strauch

Post by Ralph Strauch »

whemme wrote:Below is my website link containing 20 pages of detailed instructions and photos on how to replace the existing Parallax 7345 Charger/Converter with a new Progressive Dynamics PD9160A Charger/Converter: http://home.earthlink.net/~whemme/
Bill,

You replaced a 45 amp converter with a 60 amp model. Is the BF wiring between the converter and the batteries heavy enough for that load?

Ralph
2000 24' RSB
whemme

Post by whemme »

Ralph Strauch,

The extra charging current outup from the PD9160A should not be a problem. The 7345 had #10 AWG size blue and white wires going from that converter's ouput to the DC fuse panel. My instructions are to use #8 AWG size red and black wires going from the PD9160A to the DC fuse panel. The house battery cables are plenty big and should well handle the maximum of 60 amps charging current. Look at your fuse panel. I don't remember the total amps of fuses installed there, but I bet it adds up to well over 60 amps.

The main reason I chose the PD9160A over some of the units with less output current was that the physical dimensions of that converter fits the best in the metal enclosure from which the old 7345 components were removed.
:mrgreen:
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Ralph Strauch

Post by Ralph Strauch »

whemme wrote:The main reason I chose the PD9160A over some of the units with less output current was that the physical dimensions of that converter fits the best in the metal enclosure from which the old 7345 components were removed.
Bill,

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning toward the WFCO right now, because the installation looks a bit easier and I haven't found any info clearly pointing to one over the other. I'm also wondering, given that my BF has a 4kw generator, if there's any reason to get a unit larger than 45 amps. Would the 55 amp unit run cooler, for example, or be better from any other standpoing?

Ralph

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”