Alaska 2015

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

CuJo's Pride

Re: Alaska 2015

Post by CuJo's Pride »

[quote="oliverpsmile"][quote="shilohdad"]
This could all be mind over matter, but who knows?
[/quote]

I spent 10 years on ships. After leaving any port I was getting sea sick for about 2-3 hours. It is REALLY a state of mind. If you do not resist mentally the sickness is getting worse. One of my crew suffered for about 18 days. Finally the doctor got him up with an injection [distilled water, I learned later, causing pain and at the same time deflecting the mind from the sea sickness]. So, having good time with some libations would be the perfect solution for a minor problem :D .[/quote]

I don't believe sea sickness it is a "state of mind". I was on a ferry and got so sick I turned numerous shades of green. I have been on cruises, we live on a lake and we just got back from 8 days of sailing in Greece on a 43.5 monohull sailboat. There was only 6 of us and no one got sick from sailing. I think it has to do with the seas. I used to be a pharmacy tech and a lot of people swear by the Transdermal Patch. Might be something worth looking into too. Nothing ruins a trip more than being sea sick !!
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
cmeadows

Post by cmeadows »

Link to Alaska Marine Highway System:
http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

Vessel Amenities:
http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/vessel_amenities.shtml

We’ve traveled the inside passage a couple times but not yet with our Born Free. We don’t have enough time to participate in the Born Free Alaska 2015 Caravan, but we have been planning a trip. On both prior ferry trips, we departed from Prince Rupert after touring Banff & Jasper National Parks in the Canadian Rockies. The ferry ride from Prince Rupert to Juneau/Haines was smooth. Sea sickness was not at all a problem on either trip. The ferry trip from Prince Rupert to Haines is only a couple days. I have no experience on the southern ferry stretch between Prince Rupert and Bellingham.

Sunset on the Alaska Ferry deck. This is my preferred place to sleep.

We didn’t have a cabin on either previous ferry trip. There are plenty of beach style full-length lounge recliners that work well with sleeping bags. Deck sleeping areas can be found both inside and outside. Some of the outside area is covered and open to the stern—that’s my preferred sleeping area. One couple that bunked on the deck near us had a cabin but didn’t use it. When they reserved their cabin, they didn’t know that you could stay out on the deck. While I realize that it’s not a good option for everyone, we are planning again to sleep on the deck. The photos are from our 1995 trip.

A tree full of eagles

There is something to see outside both day and night. In addition to the wildlife and scenery, I’ve enjoyed watching the crew navigate the Wrangell Narrows at night.

You can get into your vehicle on the bottom deck when the ferry stops at ports along the trip. This gives you a chance to care for your pets, replenish your snack bag, and to swap out clothes and sleeping gear. The prepared food available on the ferry is cafeteria style and adequate for the trip. Public restrooms and showers are available for those without cabins.

The propane in the coach must be turned off before boarding. If you start the ferry trip with ice frozen in gallon milk jugs, you can likely keep the fridge cold during the trip. Along with the ice, I plan to start the ferry trip with fully charged coach batteries and use an inverter to power the fridge for some of the trip. Before we leave, I’ll do a draw-down test on the coach batteries to see how long the inverter can power the fridge. I’ll then use a timer to spread out the fridge inverter power to cover the ferry trip.

Ketchikan

Petroglyphs at Wrangell

Sign near Juneau

We enjoyed walking into the port towns at every stop. On our last trip we took a layover in Juneau to hike in Mendenhall Glacier NP. We also covered every mile of road in the Juneau area (about 100 miles).

Our RV twenty years ago took us to 49 states, Alaska twice and most of Canada.

A very simple sign marked the end of a road in landlocked Juneau.
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

The sign-up for the Caravan is going good. It is 1/3 full as of now. If you are going to sign up you should do it now before it is full. Space is limited.
Ray

Post by Ray »

What was the deadline date to sign up? Thanx, Ray
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE
Don't delay in signing up for the Caravan to Alaska.
Space is limited and when it is full no more will be taken.
It will be a Great and interesting Caravan where we will see the Best of Alaska and the Yukon.
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

When the Caravan gets to Dawson City they will get a special surprise. Sign up to see what it is when the Caravan gets to Dawson City.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”