Fluorescent light near cabover bunk not working

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Bonnie McDowell

Fluorescent light near cabover bunk not working

Post by Bonnie McDowell »

This was working on my trip in April until the last time I turned it on. I figured it was just the bulb, but replaced both bulbs and no go. All the other lights are working fine. Suggestions?
Bonnie McDowell
2002 Born Free 24' RB on Ford E450/V10
My first RV - purchased September 2012
Mike Jean Bandfield

Re: Fluorescent light near cabover bunk not working

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Bonnie McDowell wrote:This was working on my trip in April until the last time I turned it on. I figured it was just the bulb, but replaced both bulbs and no go. All the other lights are working fine. Suggestions?
Bonnie, if your RB is like our RSB you'll find there are two switches for that light - both have to be on for it to work. One is a little white rocker switch built into the end cap of the light fixture and the other is on the wall near the coach door. If either switch is in the off position the other switch can't turn the light on. I hope it is that simple.

The fluorescent fixtures are also notorious for having wires inside coming loose. They are pretty easy to take apart and repair. I'd check these two possibilities before suspecting fuses or coach wiring.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
lassen

Post by lassen »

Bonnie........ On our 24 RB that second switch is located on the forward side of the pantry near the furnace thermostat.

Jack......
Jack & Jan
2005 24RB
Bonnie McDowell

Ok, this list and the Born Free company are the greatest. Not only did I get 3 replies here, but within 2 hours of me posting my message, Kim called and left a message on my voice mail with the same info! How many companies monitor a list like this, and then take the time to look up a phone number and personally call someone about a 13 year old coach? I'm guessing there is just one…

So glad to have the mystery of that switch on the side of the pantry solved! At first I thought it controlled the thermostat (which would have been good, since the little plastic tab on the bottom of the thermostat broke off the last time I tried to slide it to the on position), but that didn't seem to be the case. Then I decided that maybe it powered the TV (had never bothered to test that out, since I've only used the TV on one trip). Now I know.

Thanks to all!
Bonnie McDowell
Bonnie McDowell

Sam Ryan wrote:It comes in handy if you use the jackknife sofa in the 24'RB configuration for sleeping. :D
:D
My sofa is never in the BF - that is where I have 4 crates for the dogs! The people that I bought it from also had dogs and had crates there. When I bought it, they asked whether I wanted them to put the sofa back in. I said, no, I would just be taking it back out! I did think about buying a cot size mattress for on top of the crates, which would provide room for a third person to sleep, but so far haven't needed it.
Bonnie McDowell

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”