Need advice on purchase of '05 Born Free 26ft

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

lovemy007

Need advice on purchase of '05 Born Free 26ft

Post by lovemy007 »

I currently own a 5th wheel but am looking to downsize with a class b or c. I've done a bit of research and Born Free ' s seem to be high quality. I have found a used 26ft Casual Elegance with low mileage, v10 engine. I would appreciate any feedback: long term reliability, ease of getting it serviced, parts availability, issues you've had, things to look for on this used one, etc. Also, the ad and the salesman both claim this is a v10 diesel...I was told by someone else that a v10 is only a gasser; true? Thank you in advance. Jill.
robert newby

Re: Need advice on purchase of '05 Born Free 26ft

Post by robert newby »

It could be a Diesel. If not it would be a gas V10. I have a 2004 that has a Diesel engine. Parts for the chassie comes from Ford and should be available at any Ford Dealer. As to the coach part , Born Free Factory is GREAT and will help you with any part you may need. They are known to be owner friendly!!! You can't go wrong with a Born Free coach.
whemme

Post by whemme »

If it is a diesel, then it is a V8 diesel. The V10 is only a gas engine.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
army

Post by army »

Put your mind at ease about service and parts for your Born Free. A little over two years ago I was lucky enough to purchase a 1999 Born Free 23RK in mint condition. I needed to replace a cabinet door latch and a bathroom light fixture so contacted Born Free via email. In just a few days I had parts in hand! Fortunately I've not needed automotive service but am confident any Ford dealer can provide whatever service I need for my E450 Ford with the V-10. I've owned every type of RV on the planet and have never seen one to equal the quality of a Born Free. In September we finished a 4000+ mile trip through the northwest and Pacific coast without one glitch and averaged 10mpg to boot (no toad).
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Hi Jill,

We just purchased a 2004, 26' in January 2014. It was our 1st RV and literally the 1st one we looked at. We knew nothing about RV's. We are so glad we got it. There was something about it that was like home. This forum is heaven sent. The knowledge on this forum is amazing. I have never met any of these people but I feel like I know them already. It's like a family. We had to have a vent replaced and like stated it was sent immediately. Kim at BF is terrific. Read this forum, it speaks volumes about BF!! Good luck.

Jo
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I have a 2001 BF. I've been considering buying a newer RV. I know if I buy anything other than a Born Free I will regret it :(
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

05 is the first year for the 5 speed transmission. In the Consumers Union reliability reports, they showed a transmission weak point for that Econoline model year only. My local Ford service manger said the same thing. Ford got it debugged by the 06 model year. Certainly not all of them fail, just more than other years. Check it carefully. Otherwise, you will likely be pleased.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
FLTRISK

Post by FLTRISK »

We have owned 3 Casual Elegance models, all with the V-10's No issues with any. The factory is the best we have ever dwelt with, truly a great family company. With the V-10's we run around 8.5 to 10.5 mpg. We do not tow anything because the BF is the perfect size to just drive everywhere. Having down sized from a Prevost it is a pleasure to have an everyday driver. Also the BF is so well constructed and insulated that hot summers or cold winter travels are no trouble. Happy travels
lovemy007

Post by lovemy007 »

@Sam. Found out it is a diesel E450 with 27k mi. They are asking $57k for it. It's an '05. It sounds like a good deal but if there are transmission issues (as warned in another post), I'm not so sure. I've also been cautioned about the noise of a diesel class c (as compared to a class b mercedes...).

If anyone in the DFW metroplex or within 100 or so miles has this model (26ft Casual Elegance, rear side bed, sofa, double chairs with mini dinette), I would buy you lunch to let me take a peak at the interior...cheaper than flying to FL just to find out I don't like it. Lol.

My email is jill_pool@yahoo.com.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Sam, If I were you I would get rid of that dog.

lovemy007, If you have been looking much you will probably already know that you cant go by NADA - If you do you may have a difficult time finding a used Born Free.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I've said this before. A fair price is what a willing buyer agrees to pay a willing seller. No matter what NADA indicates, no matter what an expert says, no matter what Sam Ryan believes, no matter what I think, the buyer makes the call regarding the value of a purchase when he or she agrees to buy at the offered price.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Sam,

If you are continuing to have problems with your BF why do you keep it? Since used units sell so well I would think that you could easily get NADA retail for it.

Dallas
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Ray

Post by Ray »

For those that are new to RV'ing I would like to point out that multiple and continued roof leaks in a 2002 RV which have stained the ceiling and extensively damaged the wood work is NOT a defect - it is attributed to poor care and maintenance by the owner.

Concerning the windows, We all know some older windows lose their seal and fog. Manufacturing process have improved over the years but that still does not mean that a window will not lose the seal once in a while. I have pretty expensive windows in my house and a couple have lost the seal and fogged, they are not 12 years old, and they have not been bouncing down the highway for 80,000 miles. I cant find anyone that can defog the windows, or knows how to. What I have been told by the experts is that you need to replace them, or repair them. If mechanically inclined the repair does not look that difficult (time consuming). I will find out this spring as that's on my to do list for maintenance on my RV.
Ann P

Post by Ann P »

Jill- My first Born Free was a 2005 RSB 26' Casual Elegance, V-10 which I bought used when it was only a year old (owner had health problems). I flew from CO to AZ to drive and inspect it at a dealer's, so I can relate to your search. The BF factory was very helpful with any questions or parts that I needed after purchase , even tho I had no warranty with them . I later traded it in for a new 2008 24RB because I wanted a dinette (bigger table for the computer,etc) and thought the smaller unit would be easier to drive. The shorter wheelbase makes a big difference doing a U-turn and such , it's easier to park in small shopping centers,etc. , and I never wanted or needed to tow a car. I actually full-timed in both units for almost 7 years, and never had a major problem with the BF or the Ford sections. The price quoted for that 2005 diesel in FL seemed high to me , and I can only guess it's for the diesel and low mileage. Makes me wonder if it's been "exercised" enough; if the generator has been used and all critical parts maintained. How old are the tires? I wouldn't be inclined to go to Florida for this unit without knowing a whole lot more about it, and surely there will be more motorhomes to choose from in the Spring. BTW, I chose Born Free after several years of research and going to RV shows, Life on Wheels classes, and comparison-shopping . They are top of the line motorhomes, and you are on the right track. Good luck and be patient.
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

Absolutely LOVE mine and it still looks brand new, has new tires, garage kept, low miles.....now I want a new one with a slide out :mrgreen:
2005 26' RSB Casual Elegance

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”