ALASKA-My Thoughts

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Rich Flaugh

ALASKA-My Thoughts

Post by Rich Flaugh »

Following are some random thoughts on visiting Alaska. Your Born Free unit is the ideal way to see this great state. You can drive it anywhere without worrying about pulling a towed vehicle all those miles. You are self-contained and can stop anywhere you want (you will find many motor homes overnighting at random roadside pull-outs). Road conditions are similar to the lower 48 but construction zones may be longer and rougher. Mosquito's are sometimes a problem but no worse than what we encounter in our home states under certain conditions. I wouldn't worry to much about reservations because you many times don't know how far you are traveling that day and just as important what the weather will be on a certain date. (if you are taking a glacier boat excursion wait until the day before or morning of to confirm your trip).

The wildlife viewing is great but don't expect to see something around every turn. The animals have millions of square miles to roam and expecting them to be right beside the road is unrealistic. Invest in high quality binoculars, they will be your best friend in Alaska. Make sure you have good rain gear, it rains a lot in Alaska!

Don't be surprised if Mt. McKinley is cloud covered on your visit to the Park. If possible, use weather forecasts to time your park excursions. One of the best views of the mountain is as you enter the town of Talkeetna south of Denali National Park.

If time permits spend some time in the Canadian Rockies. The Banff/Jasper area is very scenic. One of the most impressive sights is Moraine Lake (near Lake Louise) and it's often overlooked.

To me SE Alaska is the most scenic part of the state and the best way to see it is via the Alaska Ferry System.. You can take your motor home to the various ferry stops and stay for a few days each. Sitka and Ketchikan are my favorites. Enjoying the ferry from Haines to Prince Rupert or Bellingham, WA is a great way to return to the Lower 48.

If you really want a "bucket list" experience and want to see big bears up close consider a trip to Katmai National Park. If you want to stay overnight you may have to make reservations two years in advance. Day trips out of Homer are available.

Enough rambling, just thought I'd pass along some of my thoughts. Have a good trip!

Rich
bigdipper

Re: ALASKA-My Thoughts

Post by bigdipper »

Sam
You need a passport, the real one. Go to the Post Office.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

And from personal experience, no matter what they tell you, allow at least 8 weeks for your passport to arrive after you submit the paperwork. Three months is safer.
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

You need a passport to return to the U.S. :D
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Last year I travelled extensively in both the Yukon and Northwest Territories. In the Yukon almost all major roads are paved but in the Northwest Territories expect to encounter gravel roads with washboard and pot holed surfaces. And throughout Alaska and northern Canada paved highways suffer major damage every winter so expect to encounter road repairs in the summer.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

Rich Flaugh wrote:Following are some random thoughts on visiting Alaska...
If time permits spend some time in the Canadian Rockies.
Rich
Rich, a nice list of info! I second your comment about including the Canadian Rockies.

Been up to Alaska twice. Still my favorite trip. A few thoughts I would add:

Guides: the Milepost and Church's campground guide is about all you need. There are visitor centers in most towns, even the small ones and its easy to get local info from them.

Bring a camera with a good zoom lens to get close ups of the wildlife.

Frost heaves: these can be a hard bump or launch you briefly. Look for the red flags or else skid marks where someone before you found one! :) (so you can slow down!)

Slow down for trucks coming towards you as they can throw a rock.

I have done and enjoy caravan trips, but prefer to do Alaska on my own. I enjoy the wilderness feel of being on my own, setting a slower pace, and I believe it increases the odds of seeing wildlife. With some exceptions in the towns (Anchorage, Fairbanks, Banff) its very easy to get around and find parking. Camping is easy to find throughout.
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

This years Born Free Caravan to Alaska will mean that you will cross the USA/ Canada border 6 times it total from your home to Alaska and back.
Those going on the Caravan will have a Great time and a Great surprise in Dawson Creek. You won't want to miss this!
Along with a surprise at Dawson City. Note there is a difference between Dawson Creek and Dawson City, they are two different cities.
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

The Factory tells me that there is still space available on the 2015 Alaska Caravan. Contact Brandon Dodgen to register for †he Caravan. it will be the " Trip of the Life Time " .

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”