Letter from new Born Free President & CEO Jeff Butler

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

grross

Re: Letter from new Born Free President & CEO Jeff Butler

Post by grross »

Ray...well said!
2008 27' RBRE V-10
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

The new president is reputed to have come from Dynamax from whom I tried very hard to buy a coach in 2013. Their head of sales could not have been less interested and ignored me. I considered myself lucky in finding Born Free partly because of the spirit of the place and the engaging way Ed went about getting the deal. But also because they are the only builder of a small(er) coach on the F550 (or equivalent) chassis. Other than Dynamax that is who are out to lunch.

However I have detected changes already. Subtle and possibly a result of other influences but noticeable. One of the down sides of the Private Equity revolution is that these funds have an often insatiable need for dividends or the equivalent to fund their lifestyles or the next deal. The mantra of growth that is embedded in our capitalism required that there must be a trade down in favor of a financial return over service because by definition, enough is never enough. A company like the Morgan car business in the UK could never survive this ethos.
John S.

Post by John S. »

Sam Ryan wrote:
John S. wrote:I have owned 2 Born Frees I purchased new since 2007. I was just looking at getting another new one and looking at the website and found out that BF had been sold. I have a Foretravel as well and it was sold to an investor group and the passion left. I guess, I will either buy a new one soon before they change too much or wait and see what they do and decide then. I have been looking at a class B as an option as well. I love my Born Free and have to say over the years they have both worked very well with very little issues. I think I spent a total of 300 dollars on repairs over the whole 7 years of ownership. That does not count regular maintenance but that is not a repair.

I have always thought that BF is one of the best built coaches out there and I hope they keep that.
John,
When you wrote that when Foretravel "was sold to an investor group and the passion left," I'm wondering what that means exactly? I'd sure like to get your perspective on how that changed your outlook, and how the sale of Foretravel may have changed your Foretravel experience, before and after, if it did.
Thanks!

The old FT was family owned. They would bend over backwards to make the customer happy. They made coaches people wanted to buy. They made over 300 a year in there heyday of the late 90s early 2000. Then the bank called their loan on their floorplan of used units since they did not have lots of slides. An investor group picked up the pieces. They were FT owners too.

Then they started rebuilding and along the way forgot that they needed to build what their existing customers wanted. Their sales went down to double digits. Their remodel shop is going strong as the older coached have great life left in them. The new stuff is different too. More for a weekend at the track then to go up for a month.

Management became management and had to leave owners groups early to play softball or to do a college reunion or some other thing. There seemed to be little desire to see and spend time with the owners.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Wonder what Ray said.
2013 23' FL on Ford E350 with all the goodies.
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

MarkB,

I can't remember what he said, but Ray and Sam Ryan would get into spitting matches with each other on this list. Both eventually got banned from the list sometime in 2015, which I see is before your time. You can still see some of Ray's posts, but Sam's have all disappeared. I think he must have deleted all of his posts as his last act. It is almost as if the Ministry of Truth has been involved!
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

That is interesting. I thought maybe it would shed some light on the present situation. I see on another forum the Chinook brand is coming back.
2013 23' FL on Ford E350 with all the goodies.
stevek

Post by stevek »

Yes Chinook is back.
But maybe in name only? I do not know.
I see the older Chinooks almost everytime I am out driving around here in the NorthWest.
They have a strong cult following and a RV club for Chinooks only and Chinoock Rallies.

http://www.chinookrv.com
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

shilohdad wrote:MarkB,

I can't remember what he said, but Ray and Sam Ryan would get into spitting matches with each other on this list. Both eventually got banned from the list sometime in 2015, which I see is before your time. You can still see some of Ray's posts, but Sam's have all disappeared. I think he must have deleted all of his posts as his last act. It is almost as if the Ministry of Truth has been involved!
I met Ray two years ago at the factory rally shortly after he got booted off the forum. I believe two members were booted off permanently and two were suspended for a month.

Last winter I was at a Winn-Dixie grocery store in Belle Glade, Florida and a fellow pulls up on a motor scooter. It was Ray. It's a small world.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

If I recall Ray was a paying member of the Leapin Lions, Sam was not. It was to bad that Ray got banned from the site. He alway had good information and ideas. We spent some time with him at the rally's and he is a dedicated BF owner. It was sad when he could no longer contribute. We are a passionate group when it comes to our BF. Since so many years have passed it would be a nice to allow him back on. Everyone deserves another chance. From what I've heard about Ray, he's a good guy with good intentions.

Just my 2 cents.
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
stevek

Post by stevek »

I agree with all you say. Please let Ray back on our Forum.
I miss Ray.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I was the other guy that was suspended. I let Sam Ryan get under my skin. If your membership predates those exchanges let's just say that Sam would be a guy you would instantly dislike upon meeting him in person. Ray, on the other hand is a likeable guy who is fun to be around.

Ray and I have maintained an email connection since our banning. Although we don't exchange emails regularly we do keep in touch. I've encouraged him to rejoin Leap'in Lions but he is reluctant to do so. He feels he was unfairly singled out.

Yes Ray and I so disliked Sam Ryan's posts that we were unable to control our posts that challenged him. Yes we sometimes went too far. However the cause of irritation was one person, Sam Ryan. If those who are in charge of the Leapin Lions group and this web page had banned Sam Ryan early on Ray would still be a participant.

Since I do have other interests I rode out the banning and was eventually reinstated. You still have me to play the devil's advocate and show my independence.

If another "Sam Ryan" shows up expect me to challenge him. I imagine most of y'aii are like me and cannot suffer fools.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Sam Ryan was a bully, plain and simple. Can't remember how many emails I sent to Bill Hemmer complaining about Sam. He was the same on the old Leap'n Lions bulletin board. He is truly missed in the best of ways.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

To correct my error. I should have written postdates not predates.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

I think Ray should be allowed back on this site as well if he wants to rejoin. He's an asset to the forum. Time to let the past be and welcome him back !
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

bcope01 wrote:Sam Ryan was a bully, plain and simple. Can't remember how many emails I sent to Bill Hemmer complaining about Sam. He was the same on the old Leap'n Lions bulletin board. He is truly missed in the best of ways.
I remember Sam getting bounced from one of the old usemet groups 20+ years ago. He's got a fragile ego, can't take criticism and will defend a wrong position to absurdity. I love this forum and really got PO'd over the squabbling to the point of punctuating the issues, pushing buttons and forcing a decision. I expected to get bounced (and didn't care at the time) and I'm sorry if I offended anyone besides Sam.

I agree, Ray didn't deserve to be bounced and certainly not forever.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”