Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bfadmin
Site Admin

Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall

Post by bfadmin »

The Born Free factory has received a recall notice on the Kidde fire extinguishers used in their motor homes. Born Free received this notice twice from this company. When they first received it they were asked to check their inventory and that was it. Born Free found no units in their inventory at that time (late fall). Because each fire extinguisher is not serial numbered, all that can be done is to look within the group of recalled models and the date range of the recall.

The model number is 10BC.

The range of recalled models runs from July 23, 2013 to October 15, 2014 as stated on page one of the attached materials.

The Kidde part number was 466295 which does not appear on the list on page one (but 10BC does), yet they say Born Free purchased these units.

So to be safe, Born Free wants to get the word out to the Leaping Lions. God forbid if anyone needed their extinguisher and it was empty from this problem.

Born Free did not build and deliver a lot of units in that period, but the few folks that could have gotten one we want to have aware.

If anyone has a faulty one the directions on who to call or how to exchange it are clearly posted on page three. Please click on and download the attached pdf file below titled Kidde recall 2177.pdf for all recall details.

Thanks as always for your help, and we hope you are surviving yet another harsh Iowa winter.

Best Regards,
Dennis Day
Born Free Motorcoach

NOTE:This message was posted by Website Administrator bfadmin-2 at the request of the above.
Attachments
Kidde recall 2177.pdf
(1.33 MiB) Downloaded 482 times
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Website Forum Administrators
(bfadmin-1) Dave Moffat - Primary Administrator
(bfadmin-3) Sandy Perley - Assistant Administrator
(bfadmin-2) Bill Hemme - Backup Administrator
(bfadmin) Email: bfadmin@bornfreervclub.org
Dallas Baillio

Re: Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Sam Ryan wrote:What is the expected safe lifespan of our fire extinguishers, before replacing them, Dennis?

Also, is there any core value or trade-in policy from the Kidde Company to upgrade to a newer extinguisher?
Sam,

We BF owners always try to be helpful, right? Never bragging or adopting a know-it-all attitude. With this in mind here is a helpful link to answer your question.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7483127_life- ... isher.html

Ray

Re: Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall

Post by Ray »

On boats we are suppose to inspect monthly.

USCG has some pretty strict requirements. Believe it is a monthly visual inspection, yearly inspect/tag, all extinguishers must have a dated inspection tag, and I believe mandatory replacement is every 12 years for non serviceable units. (even if gauge shows good)

If you have the larger commercial type they can be taken in to a authorized service center and be discharged, inspected, hydrostaticly tested and recharged for a fee cheaper than new acquisition.

Most will also recommend that dry chemical extinguishers be turned upside down and tapped with a dead blow hammer every once in a while to insure that the powder in the extinguisher has not compacted from vessel movement and pounding while on the water. Compaction can effect the performance of the extinguisher if use is required.

Not sure if that would be a issue with the extinguisher in a RV bouncing down the road or not.

Fire extinguishers are like insurance policy's, and you must maintain and take care of them. I know some dont believe in insurance using the justification "when is the last time your house burnt down?" - But I like my house, boat, RV. garage, shop, etc - So I have fire extinguishers and insurance covering all of them - and I do the maintenance required.

Plan for the worst - Pray for the best.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”