New Winegard antenna

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

tomzleapin

New Winegard antenna

Post by tomzleapin »

I was in the process of responding to stevek's message about the new Winegard antenna when the system went down. Here's my thoughts:

The only benefit that would be gained by installing the automated Winegard RayzarAir would be the ease of locating the TV stations. If you presently have a Winegard Sensar (Batwing) antenna this is generally considered the best RV antenna, especially if it has the Wingman attachment.

My 2005 had the Delta rabbit ear antenna and I swapped it out for the Winegard Sensar III with the Wingman attachment. It is important to note that most RV antennas have an amplifier built into the antenna head. The Delta antenna has no amplifier. The wallplate in the coach contains the amplifier so when upgrading you also have to replace the wallplate with one that has no amplifier. I opted to install the Winegard Sensor Pro wallplate. This has a digital display that shows signal strength which will aid in aiming your antenna.

One issue with the Sensar antenna is that it may not stow when lowering it down between the air conditioner and refrigerator vent. I installed my Sensar so that it stows to the side rather than to the rear.

I later opted to replace the Winegard with the King Control Jack antenna. It's a simple process of pulling two pins, remove the Winegard, and replace with the Jack. The Jack performs well but not quite as well as the Winegard Batwing. A big advantage of the Batwing is that it performs much better for the VHF channels (2 thru 13). Most TV broadcasts are on the UHF channels (14 thru 51). When TV stations shut down the analog broadcast, some of them opted to move their digital broadcasts back to the VHF channels.

The Jack and Winegard RazarAir antennas are tuned for the UHF channels and perform poorly for the VHF channels. The Winegard Sensar IV and the Sensar III with the Wingman option perform well for both VHF and UHF. The Sensar III without the Wingman performs well for VHF but not as well for UHF.

Here's a link to a thread on RV.net about an extensive test that SCVJeff performed of the Batwing and Jack antennas:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fusea ... 171026.cfm

Photos of items mentioned:

Sensar IV

Sensar III

Wingman attachment

RazarAir

RazarAir Auto

Jack

Jack replacement head

Sensar Pro
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
whemme

Re: New Winegard antenna

Post by whemme »

I 2nd the good information that Tom posted above. I have the Winegard Sensor III antenna with the Wingman attachment and it performs very well receiving both VHF and UHF TV frequency channels.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks Tom and Bill. Great info and pics. Sums it all up.
I found another faller in my TV coax. This time the splice up on the roof.
So... in my 2011 BF... BOTH SPLICES have failed. :shock:
I am in the process of looking to replace the coax in its entirety, but looks like it would be hard to do.
So I am thinking of installing a splice in the roof top vent opening for the refer.
What do you think of this location for a splice? It would be out of weather.

I had been thinking of purchasing the Wingman Attachment, but never did.
Maybe I should. Maybe I will.

We had been on a long trip and the TV seemed to work OK, but I was still not happy with it.
I think the Sensar was still getting the required 12 VDC at the time.
But I had previously purchased a Mohu Leaf Antenna for an emergency spare, and it seemed to work better.
I even got on the roof and wired it to the Sensar Mast and ran the coax thru the window.
The Mohu Antenna worked really good and better than the Sensar.
So based on that experience, I ordered a Winegard Razor Air when we got back home, and am in the process of installing it.

If I am not happy with that, I will order the Wingman attachment and try that. Thanks again..
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Trix

Post by Trix »

Thank you for posting that Tom. I appreciate hearing your experience with it.

This is a very timely thread for me. The motor on my Winegard Sensar with wingman has been acting flakier and flakier lately, and managed to fail completely yesterday.

I came to the forum to look for recommendations and now I'm off to read that thread on rv.net.
Trix
tent camper
pop-up camper
learning RV'g in my 2007 24' RB
2011 Subaru Forester toad
Steve

Post by Steve »

SteveK, you should use dielectric grease in your connections and cover them with a couple of old spark plug boots to keep the moisture out. Check out the info here: http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... f=14&t=966 the last couple of pages from the PDF show the splice covered with the spark plug boot.
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-dielectric-grease.htm

Steve
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

One thing about the Winegard antenna is that the arrow on the knob does not indicate the direction to point the antenna. The front of the antenna is actually 90° from the arrow. The front is opposite the side that the lift arms attach to. I stick a piece of tape to the knob to indicate the front.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks for the heads up/ info on the Dielectric Grease and "boots".
I will purchase some.

And yes it is a little crazy that the pointer on the Winegard Antenna is 90 degrees out of whack.
But I have learned to point the antenna just the opposite that the little pointer shows.

The splice on my roof probably would not have failed if they had not used just regular heat shrink tubing.
They should have used something waterproof.
Like Adhesive Lined Heat Shrink which is waterproof.
When I sliced the old heat shrink off, I could see signs of rust.
When unscrewing the connector, the "center wire" of the coax literately FELL/ BROKE OFF due to rust.
Keep in mind my BF is a 2011. Not that old. :mrgreen:.

Bottom line... when ever you are experiencing TV reception problems, check the coax topside, and make sure you are getting 12VDC. That will tell you about the continuity of the coax.
Steve
CA/OR border
Ray

Post by Ray »

All this has me convinced - I am going to switch to the Winegard Sensar III with the Wingman - I need to get more info on the controller for it, is the one referenced above that indicates signal strength the latest - and best?
Trix

Post by Trix »

The latest and best is the Sensar IV, it is simply the Sensar III with the Wingman already attached. It's a crank up antenna. The motorized version that I have has been discontinued.

I think I'll be getting the Sensar IV, and add the SensarPro Strength Meter, to aid in aiming.

Has anyone used the wedge kit to help eliminate the slope of the roof? I guess these things should really be vertical to perform at their best? Is that true?
Trix
tent camper
pop-up camper
stevek

Post by stevek »

Interesting.... do they make a "wedge kit" for the roof?
If so, where?
I do not like the way my antenna looks, being at an angle and all, and not being plumb.
My guess would be, not being plumb would not affect reception.
Just looks odd. :D But thats just me.

Well.... this is what I decided to do. Still working on it.
Will be gone on a 3 week trip in April, so will let you know how TV reception turns out.

Just had to open it up and see what was inside.... :lol:

Last edited by stevek on Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:18 am, edited 6 times in total.
Steve
CA/OR border
Trix

Post by Trix »

I guess it's not really a kit. Just a part. I found them cheapest on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Winegard-RW-200 ... 1475306223

It doesn't look very deep, Wonder if you could stack them?
Trix
tent camper
pop-up camper
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

With the wedge installed on the roof the knob inside would not be flush with the ceiling. You most likely would need a wedge inside also. I installed my antenna without the wedge and it's working okay.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
Brent

Post by Brent »

I have been interested in swapping out the Delta antenna on my 23RK. Ken at BF told me they only install the Jack as the Winegard doesn't have room to lay flat.

How have you solved this and where did you get it installed?
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
Trix

Post by Trix »

I haven't been up on the roof but it looks flat from the side. They took off the old one and put on a new one. Lot of folks here have Winegard batwing antennas.

I had it swapped out at D&R Family RV in Glendale, AZ. They come very well recommended. They also took off the old control box for the motorized antenna and put the Sensar Pro signal strength meter there.
Trix
tent camper
pop-up camper
stevek

Post by stevek »

The 2015 May issue of Motorhome Magazine has 4 pages of the installation of the NEW Winegard Rayzar Sharp "automatic aiming". Includes the removal of the old batwing.

This is what the antenna looks like and price.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/tv-a ... ntenna.htm
Steve
CA/OR border

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”