Homecoming, another perspective...

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

norijake

Homecoming, another perspective...

Post by norijake »

After a couple of short shake-down cruises between FL and AL, we used Mr. Dodgen’s 80th birthday celebration in Humboldt, IA as our first, extended trip aboard our Born Free. The recent death of our son-in-law made planning a little difficult since we were spending a lot of time with our daughter, but two weeks before the factory get-together we saw that we would be able to make at least the homecoming portion of the festivities. And we’re happy that we did because we learned for a fact that which we had grown to suspect before buying our 26RB. Meeting all the people who make the unique Born Free motorcoach concept (safety, reliability, trustworthiness, an attitude that reflects the “do it like you’re doing it for your mother or fatherâ€
Attachments
First Extended Trip 1.jpg
First Extended Trip 1.jpg (34.96 KiB) Viewed 12191 times
First Extended Trip 2.jpg
First Extended Trip 2.jpg (34.95 KiB) Viewed 12191 times
First Extended Trip 3.jpg
First Extended Trip 3.jpg (26.2 KiB) Viewed 12191 times
2004 26' RB
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

Did Schackle climb up that ladder alone? If so, please enter that puppy in the Animal Planet Pet Stars competition. Schackle definitely would be a big winner!!

We didn't make it to the Homecoming, but we've had the pleasure of visiting the Born Free factory in Humboldt twice. There aren't enough words to express the respect we have for everyone there. They are not only professional in every work related task, they are extremely polite and helpful to everyone. We are second owners of our Born Free, but that made no difference to the factory staff. They have included us in the Born Free family just as if we are the original owners.

Right now, we are selling our Born Free and moving up to a Country Coach, for fulltiming purposes. Must admit that we're worried whether we'll get the same part-of-the-family treatment from Country Coach folks. And if this fulltiming thing doesn't work out for us, we definitely will purchase another Born Free.
Barbara & Ken
Linda Giuliani

Post by Linda Giuliani »

We attended the homecoming and were also impressed with the way we were treated during the entire week.

I live in Texas now, and everyone always tells me how friendly the people are down here. But I grew up in Iowa, and I'm here to tell you the hospitality is unsurpassed in the small towns of Iowa.

My husband is originally from southern California, and when he spent some time in Iowa Falls, Ia visiting my family, he said if it wasn't for "winter" he would move there in a flash just because of the people and warmth in the community. Truth be told, that was another reason we bought a Born Free. Knowing that Dodgen had a long term presence in the small town of Humboldt gave us confidence that they would have a quality local work force.

Maybe with global warming I could get Greg to move me north again? Hmmmm. :lol:
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Linda Giuliani wrote:Maybe with global warming I could get Greg to move me north again? Hmmmm. :lol:
Stay put, I've heard that the whole global warming thing is a sham (pepetuated by real estate agents in the Northern tier of the US.). :D

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
norijake

Post by norijake »

Hey Barbara & Ken,

Actually we put Shackle up there to keep him from attacking the vacuum cleaner when we use the loud monster. However, he has been nicknamed Spinaker Ears by some friends of ours and, given a proper launch, I suspect he could fly around a la Dumbo and the "magic feather" and reach the bunk on his own.

We have some very close friends who moved aboard a Country Coach back in 2001 to see if they would like it; they haven't moved back to a house yet. I understand the CC, like the BF, is also a very well-made machine and our friends have reported excellent service from the CC factory. With the exception of the size I would expect your move to full-timing on a CC could be considered a lateral move in quality and an upward move in time devoted to enjoying the lifestyle.

Good luck with your sell and your new purchase.
2004 26' RB
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Hi Barbara & Ken -- if you haven't got a Country Coach yet why don't you look at mine which I have for sale -- it is priced at a rock bottom price -- call me at 805-441-1933 -- Bob Newby
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

Hi Robert,

Didn't realize you had a CC for sale.

We actually have a purchase agreement with a private party for a 2004 36ft Intrigue located in Grand Junction, CO. And the sellers decided to take our Born Free in trade. They're building a vacation home in Mexico, but it won't be completed till January 2007. So, they're planning to stay in the Born Free at the construction site, then use it for RV travel in Mexico. It's a better size quality motorhome for travel on Mexican roads and in the villages than the CC.

We should be able to close the deals on both by the end of next week. Then we plan to sell our NM home next spring, so that we can hit the road fulltime.

Have you listed your CC on any of the FSBO websites?

Barbara
Barbara & Ken
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

norijake wrote:Hey Barbara & Ken,

Actually we put Shackle up there to keep him from attacking the vacuum cleaner when we use the loud monster. However, he has been nicknamed Spinaker Ears by some friends of ours and, given a proper launch, I suspect he could fly around a la Dumbo and the "magic feather" and reach the bunk on his own.

We have some very close friends who moved aboard a Country Coach back in 2001 to see if they would like it; they haven't moved back to a house yet. I understand the CC, like the BF, is also a very well-made machine and our friends have reported excellent service from the CC factory. With the exception of the size I would expect your move to full-timing on a CC could be considered a lateral move in quality and an upward move in time devoted to enjoying the lifestyle.

Good luck with your sell and your new purchase.

I'm laughing just picturing Schackle attacking the vacuum. Surprisingly, our cat sits and watches as the vacuum head is pushed around, but runs if we get too close.

It's good to hear that CC owners also receive good customer service. But CC will have a hard act to follow after our great experiences with Born Free. It's become the standard that we use to compare with everyone else.

Barbara
Barbara & Ken
gwb36

Post by gwb36 »

We are also Born Free and CC owners. We have a 1999 CC Intrigue. Originally we were going to keep both RVs but have determined the Born Free meets our needs as we are not taking 4 month at a time trips like we used to. We listed the CC on RV Trader Online (also at rock bottom prices) and I tried selling locally. We now have an ad coming out in the August issue of FMCA magazine. You will be happy with the level of service CC provides. Good Luck! DonnaB
George W Becker
2015 Born Free Triumph w/slide
Birmingham Alabama
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Hi Barbara , Ken & George -- I have not tried puting my Country Coach on any web site - only have it listed in a local " Photo Ad " weekly sales type of publication -- some responce but no firm , realistic offers yet - Gearge it sounds like we may have the same coach -- Bob Newby
Nancy P. Simpson

Post by Nancy P. Simpson »

Barb and Ken,

We are signed up for a 58-day Adventure Caravan to travel throughout Mexico Winter of 2007. Some people tell us we'll be sorry if we don't have a tow car as RV travel is too difficult for local expediations. Others say it's no problem for a small motorcoach. We would like to eliminate the extra wear and tear and expense of a TOAD but don't want to inhibit our exploration. Any chance you can send the people taking you Born Free as a trade my email for direct conversation? rwatchnanc@aol.com
Thanks. Nancy Simpson

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”