Alaska Caravan Question

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

dowellcj

Alaska Caravan Question

Post by dowellcj »

Could anyone give guidance regarding border crossings on the Alaska Caravan, and what we can expect from the U.S. folks in regards to restrictions on food?
We travel several times a year to Whistler, BC and back for skiing, and have had various experiences. The Canadian folks just ask about money and weapons - of which we don't have much of the first, and none of the second. On the U.S side, sometimes they ask no questions about bringing food home (into the U.S). Each border crossing varies, and it is not consistent from time to time. This last time, we were at one of the smaller crossings, with no wait, and the border control officer confiscated a dozen eggs. It didn't matter that they were marked from a U.S. egg distributor, or that half of them were hard boiled. He said the concern was with the "Avian flu". Another time we've had mandarin oranges confiscated as they "lose their citizenship" when they cross the border, the officer said. We know that meat is often restricted, but, they've never asked about that.
As we are doing several border crossings, we will need to know how to manage our refrigerator. I'd hate to lose lots of food, and then buy replacements, but shopping for meals as we go may also not be as easy or cost efficient as having a stocked fridge. I know Born Free in the past has towed the Chuck Wagon and meats, so I'm thinking that maybe the Alaska/Canada border is not so strict.
Any insight would be helpful.
Thanks
Caryl & Tom Dowell
Sequim, WA
2015 Splendor (27 RSB)
Prior coach 2008 24RB
Dallas Baillio

Re: Alaska Caravan Question

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I think you have answered your own question. Crossing from Canada into the US is inconsistent. It appears from my experiences that fresh fruits and vegetables along with live plants are likely to be confiscated depending upon what may be a current threat to US farmers. I have read the published rules and seen no specific mention of food items, fresh or prepared.

I've never had frozen or prepared food confiscated. Cooked or frozen meats either. Uncooked meat might be another story.

I travel with my dog and on my last trip crossing either way, including British Columbia into Alaska and Alaska into Yukon Territory, I was never ask for proof of rabies vaccination . I even volunteered to present proof at a Canadian border crossing believing the agent had forgotten to ask for it. He declined and sent me on my way.

I think the agent who took your eggs had been asked by his wife to buy eggs on his way home from work. Can you imagine his reaction when his wife, preparing breakfast, dropped a hard boiled egg into the frying pan?
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Diplomacy dictates we make every effort to be helpful with our answer when a question is posted. A serious, thoughtful answer demonstrates our own intelligence and empathy. I do find humor in some posts (hard boiled eggs) but my overriding concern is to be helpful.
Sam Ryan wrote::idea: Why not just wait until you arrive in Canada before stocking your fruits, perishables and vegetables?

Seems pretty simple to me... :lol:
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Looking forward to meeting you on the Caravan. The only fruit I take in is Bananas. I find it easy to buy food after I cross the Border. You will cross the US / Canada Border 6 times on the trip. I have never had problems except one time crossing from Canada into the US where they took some meat that we had taken from the US into Canada and were taking it back into the USA. There are good stores along the way.
dowellcj

Post by dowellcj »

Bob and Dallas, thanks for your comments. I was interested in feedback from folks who have experience in that region, and whether you found more consistency up there. We will try to manage our food when we anticipate crossing borders. Thanks for letting us know about the availability of stores.
We always travel with our kitty's rabies certificate, too, and have never been asked to show it, even when she greets the border officer at the window.
RE: the suggestion from the other commenter. We will be in our coach for several weeks prior to the starter of the rally, so waiting to buy food does NOT make sense. It is also impossible to buy only one serving at a time of many foods like milk, eggs and dairy (which also may be restricted). Taking food into Canada is usually NOT the problem, buying it there still presents the problem of crossing back to the US. We are looking forward to this caravan to enjoy the sights of Canada and Alaska, not the insides of every grocery store.

Caryl
Caryl & Tom Dowell
Sequim, WA
2015 Splendor (27 RSB)
Prior coach 2008 24RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”