Does anybody know how to "dumb down" the Fan-Tastic Fan ?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

Does anybody know how to "dumb down" the Fan-Tastic Fan ?

Post by stevek »

I don't care about the remote control.
All I want is Manual up and down and close and open the Lid on the Roof.
A Manual Switch... switch one way.... blows air in.
Switch the other way.... blows air out.
Anybody know how to do this? Maybe a kit?
Can't be that complicated? :lol:
Thanks
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
shilohdad

Re: Does anybody know how to "dumb down" the Fan-Tastic Fan

Post by shilohdad »

Steve, I found this in a FAQ on the Fantastic web site. You want to go the other way (downgrade, not upgrade), but perhaps they can help you with that, too.

Q MY FRIEND HAS A FAN WITH MORE OPTIONS. HOW CAN I GET ONE?

A It is not necessary to purchase an entire new vent. The convenience of a Fan-Tastic Vent is that no fan has to
be completely removed. Changing the interior screen assembly can customize any model fan. Call technical support to determine the options available to you at 1-800-521-0298.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
whemme

Post by whemme »

stevek wrote:I don't care about the remote control.
All I want is Manual up and down and close and open the Lid on the Roof.
A Manual Switch... switch one way.... blows air in.
Switch the other way.... blows air out.
Anybody know how to do this? Maybe a kit?
Can't be that complicated? :lol:
Thanks
Steve,

Your Fan-Tastic Fan should look somewhat like the graphic below which is like the one in my 2002 BF 26' RSB coach.

For manual up or down selection use switch 2.
For selecting fan from blowing in or blowing out use switch 3.
Attachments
rsz_screen_shot_2015-05-10_at_10808_pm.png
rsz_screen_shot_2015-05-10_at_10808_pm.png (217.9 KiB) Viewed 15090 times
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Mary

Post by Mary »

The one on my 2000 24RB works much as you describe.

The only difference might be that my fan has an aftermarket roof top Vent cover installed over the Fantastic Fan. I turn the black knob in one direction and it opens the fan cover and the fan begins to run. I have mine set to operate on low and to draw air out of the coach. When I want the fan to stop, I turn the black knob in the opposite direction and the fan cover comes down and the fan goes off.

Is this sort of what you have in mind?

~Mary
rhyde

Post by rhyde »

Steve,
Mine is basically what you describe, a rocker switch to control direction of flow, a speed control knob, and the knob to raise and lower the cover. Nothing more.

I do kind of miss the thermostatic control on that we had on the FF we had in our old Class B. That unit had no furnace so we used a small electric heater that had no thermostat - just a hi-lo-off switch. I found with the heater on low, I could regulate the temp in the van by setting the thermostat on the FF to come on when it got too warm.
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Jean doesn't like the complexity of the fan and I can only imagine a remote control would only add misery on top of mayhem. Is this the reason for your inquiry? Would simplified set of options help? If you don't use the fan to both suck and blow you can limit the procedures to a smaller number of choices then operating it becomes reasonable.

As an example: Only use the fan to draw cool air in from a side window(s)/door and blow it out the top.
Your settings would be:
  • Thermostat set to ~70 deg (the white square between red and blue on mine)
    Power switch on 1 (Low)
    Manual crank engaged (auto mode)
    Fan direction switch to exhaust
Now that it is set up you only need to hit the dome switch and open a window. The unit will automatically come on when it is hot inside and turn off when it cools down to the thermostat setting. It is easy to make minor adjustments to the temperature and to adjust fan speed.

To shut down and close the dome simply hit the dome switch.

One advantage to using it in this way is that you don't defeat the rain sensor which will close the dome if it starts raining - a feature I like a lot. It's nice to come back to the RV after shopping or hiking and have it pleasant inside.

More Fan-Tastic observations:
* Turn the power switch to 0 (off) when storing.
* Ours has a mechanical dome lock - I never use it.
* I don't have a remote and wouldn't use it if I did.
* The company lives up to their name (Fantastic). Very helpful on the phone and they have always sent me parts at no charge!
* The plastic clamping mechanical perimeter roof seal is crap but the thick pour on sealer or tape sealers work nicely to fix it.
- Mike
whemme

Post by whemme »

My 1st coach, a 1999 Born Free 24' RB, had a Fan-Tastic fan with a thermostat. So does my current 2002 Born Free 26' RSB.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

My 2012 has a remote control with a built in thermostat that fits in a holder on the wall . It has an auto setting , manual setting , and off . Steve is probably dealing with the remotes ability to sometimes appear to have a mind of its own .
2012 25' rb
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

One thing I have never done is to leave the vent in the open position and count on the rain sensor to close it.. I just don't trust this feature. When I am in the coach and it begins to rain I've not seen the vent close on its own. I suppose I could wait until the rainfall becomes heavy but by then it would be a moot point because there would be lots of rain inside. Has anyone come to trust this feature through experience?
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Dallas,

We have used the rain sensor. Luckily, it has worked well enough. If a really heavy downpour came up unexpectedly, the lid would probably not close fast enough (it seems to take almost 10 seconds). Even then, by about halfway through the close cycle it would prevent most rain from getting in.

We mainly use the auto mode while away from the coach. We travel with 3 small dogs, so ventilation is crucial. While in the coach we use manual mode most of the time.

Our previous RV came without the auto-close feature. We were in a campground visiting someone in their RV. A sudden downpour DID occur and we could not get back to our RV. Luckily the fan was directly over a solid surface, so wiping up was easy.

Finally, Sam's comment about changing from auto to manual. Yes, you have to make sure the fan doesn't continue to try to close the lid. In addition to turning the battery off, you can turn the fan speed control to 0. That also cuts off current to the motor.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I felt like Dallas....was a little goosey about leaving it to close itself in the rain with the rain sensor. So I installed one of these and leave the Fantastic Fan open all the time now:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... cent/70083

Works great, never had a leak!

Bill
Attachments
2015-05-12_072036.jpg
2015-05-12_072036.jpg (34.97 KiB) Viewed 14596 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Dallas Baillio wrote:One thing I have never done is to leave the vent in the open position and count on the rain sensor to close it.. I just don't trust this feature. When I am in the coach and it begins to rain I've not seen the vent close on its own. I suppose I could wait until the rainfall becomes heavy but by then it would be a moot point because there would be lots of rain inside. Has anyone come to trust this feature through experience?
Our fan is mounted on the sloping part of the roof and the opening faces back. This limits the exposure to the sky. Even with the limited exposure my first indication that it is raining is usually the sound of the lid closing. It seems to be very sensitive IMO. We have used it a lot and have become quite trusting that it will work when needed. Even in down pours it starts soon enough that the small amount that gets in is of little concern.
-Mike
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks everybody. Great input!
I called Fantastic.
And yes they make a kit.
That will dumb down my Fan to manual up and down. Forward and Reverse. 3 Speeds.
No remote. No motor. No rain sensor.
Just my "speed"... :lol:
Looks like about 28 bucks plus 16 shipping. Not from them. but on ebay.

Bill H, I would like to get a copy of that sheet you posted. Can you please provide me link or etc?

So I am thinking about it and what to do.
Or fight with what I have. Too much gizmos for me. :lol:
Steve
CA/OR border
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

stevek wrote:Bill H, I would like to get a copy of that sheet you posted.
Steve, I sent you an email with Bill Hemme's FF operation sheet attached. You should be able to print out the image.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks Bill. I printed it out. Looks great!

Regarding the vent cover over the fantastic fan, you posted.
How is it fastened to the roof? Screws? Adhesive?

On my Fantastic Fan, sometimes the motor just turns on all by itself.
When I was talking to the guy over tele, he said any "right" radio frequency, would cause this.

Plus I couldn't get my fan to work at all.
So I figured fuses. Checked, and both fuses OK.
Checked my remote. Not working. Replaced the batts.
Pushed a few buttons. Got my fan to work on manual mode.
So.... bottom line, my remote will effect operation of manual mode of my fan.
That I do not like.

I wonder about rather than buying a kit, if I could just do the down grade myself?
Maybe this winter I will try.
Also I have consider installing a squirrel cage fan in place of the fantastic.
I found a 12vdc one on ebay. I think it will move a lot more air, but just a guess.
Steve
CA/OR border

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”