FRIG HELP PLEASE

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Nancy

FRIG HELP PLEASE

Post by Nancy »

of course we are getting ready to leave on Saturday and I can't get the frig to come on. It clicks quickly and a light flashes on the panel but won't do anything. I checked the breaker and fuse but nothing is happening.

SUGGESTIONS???
2005 26' RSB Casual Elegance
harrisgowing

Re: FRIG HELP PLEASEp

Post by harrisgowing »

Nancy, I am sure not an expert about anything but am our troubleshooter by default, and previous posts and other information point to a possible wasp nest in the lighting thing for the refrigerator. Get out your manual and find out where ignition box is and clean it out. Easy for me to say! Hopefully more learned members will chime in here but it is awful to be preparing to leave and have something critical not work. Also, if you are trying to start up by propane, try starting with shore power if you can. Finally make sure if you are starting up with propane that the propane tank is on. Been, there, done that. Good luck!

Judy Harris
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
whemme

Re: FRIG HELP PLEASE

Post by whemme »

Nancy,

You don't say but are you trying to start the refrigerator using your propane source or by electric AC shore power?

If you are trying to start the frig on propane, then have someone outside with the refrigerator rear access door open. With someone listening outside, try to start the frig and if the person hears the ignitor trying several times to ignite the gas and then finally quit trying, then as Judy said, open up the burner box on the rear of the frig and see if it is obstructed with foreign material and clean it out if so. Sometimes rust from the chimney above will fall down onto the slots in the burner tube causing the gas not to ignite properly. Generally, the frig will attempt to ignite the gas using a high voltage spark several times before it gives up and shuts down.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

Totally electric.....propane is not on. It is in the garage so no critters. Can we say week from hell before we leave? You name it and it has gone wrong and this is like the last straw. As I hit the on/off button on the panel I can see the green letters flash on the panel but nothing happens. I can hear something click behind the frig but again nothing happens.
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

I tried propane and nothing either. You can hear a click in the outside thing but nothing is happening. No lights on the frig panel NOTHING
whemme

Post by whemme »

Nancy,

Probably time to take your BF to a good RV repair shop or Camping World.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Bill,

I know the fridge has a 12 volt power connection. It powers the inside light. Does it power anything else? The on/off circuit? I don't have access to my operating manual at the moment or I would look it up. If Nancy provides the model number for her fridge an Internet search may turn up something.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

Nancy wrote:Totally electric.....propane is not on. It is in the garage so no critters. Can we say week from hell before we leave? You name it and it has gone wrong and this is like the last straw. As I hit the on/off button on the panel I can see the green letters flash on the panel but nothing happens. I can hear something click behind the frig but again nothing happens.
Nancy, if you are on electrical power and you hear clicks, most likely the fridge is on propane MODE. By pressing the MODE button the display changes the MODE AC_AU_PR (electric, auto, propane). Move to AU MODE and if you are not connected to electrical power make sure the PROPANE Valve at the tank is open. Just in case check if you have voltage at the outlet in the compartment behind the fridge (get a desk lamp and plug it in the receptacle).

When you fix your fridge problem, please share the solution, so some other people can learn from you experience
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

Your frig needs a good 12 volt dc power supply verify that your batteries are charged and putting out 12 volts .
2012 25' rb
whemme

Post by whemme »

The refrigerator utilizes power from 3 different sources.

1) It uses +12 vdc power from your coach batteries or from your charger/converter if plugged into shore line power. The +12 vdc power is used to run the control circuits in the back of the unit and also the control panel in the front of the unit. There is a fuse in the DC fuse panel of your electrical power center that supplies this +12 vdc power to the refrigerator. Make sure that this fuse is not blown.

2) It uses 120 vac power from the shore line power if connected and if you choose the AC mode of the refrigerator. There is a circuit breaker in the AC circuit breaker side of you electric power center just for the refrigerator. Make sure this circuit breaker is not tripped.

3) It also uses propane from your propane tank if you choose the LP mode of the refrigerator. Make sure your propane tank has gas in it and that the tank's shut off valve is open.

If all of the above is OK and it still will not work, then I would make a guess that the circuit board in the back of the refrigerator may have failed.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Leap'n Lions Club Members have replaced the refrigerator circuit boards themselves in the past with products from Dinosaur Electronics (http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/). If you are confident that the circuit board is the problem, you could try replacing it yourself and save some money.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
96rsbowner

Post by 96rsbowner »

nancy, i had a similar problem last month, i went to start my frig for a weekend trip and it wouldnt start. i did see an error code which i found out was high voltage ??. Anyway , i ended up looking outside at the connections and the control board and disconnected and cleaned all connections . This solved my problem, try this if you feel comfortable with it.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Sam Ryan wrote:
whemme wrote:Nancy,
With no lights on the faceplate selector switch on the refrigerator, and clicks from behind? That doesn't sound very good to me. Something's Up with that unit. I'd also recommend getting the unit to a repair shop to be checked out too.
Nancy, Did this advice help you get your refrigerator going?

Knowing that "Something's Up with that unit" could be a revelation in its self to someone. I suppose its possible that someone reading the thread had no clue that there was a problem being experienced with the refrigerator.

I do believe that the "no clue" is relevant to this guidance and post.
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

I'm so sorry I didn't respond. I pulled fuses, replaced fuses, pulled the box off the back of the fridge and then called Kim in tears. he was confident it was the circuit board and overnighted one to me. I had it in my hands by 8:30 am Friday with instructions from Kim how to change it out. I ran out to the rv to all ready to change it out and the damn fridge was beeping trying to find power or propane!!! I called Kim to thank him and tell him it was working and he said with everything I did basically rebooted the board.....sorta control,alt,delete on the computer. Did tell you how much I love Kim s :D He told me to keep the circuit board in case it quits while we are camping. We are in Kentucky and all is going good so far.

On another note this is Tyson's first time out and he is doing awesome. We are at a KOA doing labfest of all our dogs that we have rescued from NOLA Lab rescue. He has met people from Texas, LA, Pittsurgh, Michigan and Canada and a total of 25 dogs and he is so excited to meet all the people and dogs.. I think he remembered some of the dogs and his foster moms before we adopted him.
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Nancy;

Glad the frig is working.

On another subject, fill me in on Tyson. It's been a while and I lost track. Didn't you get a Shepherd? PM me or email me if you still have my email.

John

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”