Gas vs Diesel

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Gas vs Diesel

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Because some always sing the praises of Diesel engines over gas I think it is time to look at pros and cons of both.

To this end I will post on this thread information I find online.

Here is my first post. Others will follow. I encourage those of you reading these articles to search the Internet and add additional posts.

No unsupported opinions please.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autostru ... r-BBfZt7k/

(See correction below)
Last edited by Dallas Baillio on Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Dallas Baillio

Re: Gas vs Diesel

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Anorher:

This time RV specific.

http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/rv-diesel-or-gas
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Dallas,

Somehow the URL in the first post got broken apart and does not work. I cobbled it together and got to the right site. Here is a link that should work:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autostru ... ar-BBfZt7k
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

So far my search for comparisons of diesel vs gas motorhomes is only turning up class A comparisons.

Have not found anything comparing class C units. It may be that pickup truck comparisons turn out to be closest to our BF's?
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Thanks Joe!
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

2012 25' rb
Ray

Post by Ray »

I did some looking around, and what I found is that the majority of the comparisons on the net are for large Motor Coach's and not Class C's. I did find one that had a good detail and break down of costs associated with like units with different power options, however it was very old data. The article had a side note that said there were updated spreadsheets available so I will try to see if I can get/find them.

The problem I have with the info available (that I saw) on the net is that it lists all kinds of pro's and con's that I am not interested in. ie; I dont have a 45 foot plus RV, I dont want to tow a tank, I am not going to put 500,000 miles on it, and I am not going to keep it for 20 - 30 years.

Allot of the comparisons out there also appear to be weighted towards the creators preference.

I am not sure if there will be any comparisons which will take all personal, technical, and financial positions into account.

But I will read all posted in hopes of a good realistic unbiased analysis.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Oh - FYI, Here is the article I was referring to - should have included that in my prior post - Sorry

http://www.rversonline.org/ArtGasDiesel.html
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

2012 25' rb
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Reading these websites I come to the conclusion there are no strong advantages of diesel over gas in a BF motorhome. The two most significant offsets that equalize are the higher initial purchase cost of a diesel and the increased reliability of gasoline engines.

To correctly evaluate the purchase cost differential one must begin at purchase and calculate over the same length of time the value of the differential. Investings the cost savings further increases the cost differential. The money you save at purchase can be put to work earning interest.

Diesels were, at one time, more reliable than gas powered vehicles. Not anymore. At the same point in the life cycle of each engine routine maintenance most likely will be more for a diesel than a gasoline engine.

The long lasting quality of a Diesel engine can be considered a significant advantage. But we are speaking only of the engine not the transmission, brakes, shocks, tires, AC, etc. not to mention the major motorhome components-refrigerator, generator, propane tank, water heater, roof AC, etc.

It really is "whatever floats your boat." If a diesel powered BF is what you want go for it. But for me the gasoline powered one is my preference.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Dallas,

You noted in a early post that most info is class-A related. That is probably because that is where the diesel out performs. A gasser in a 40' MC is good for about 90K and beyond that it's running on luck. At 5-6 mpg for the 40' gasser vs 10-12 mpg (diesel pusher) it's a no brainer. And, this is reflected in the available market selections in the large vs small.

In the class-C category it becomes much more of a preference issue. The largest factor in my decision to go diesel was longevity. I typically keep my vehicles 20+ years. I wanted the reliability of a diesel for 200K miles and the resale value historically associated with the diesel.

Some small diesels compare better. (My cousin's Winnebago Class-B get's 20 mpg.) However, the Navstar Powerstroke 6.0 has been something of a disappointment. I have had reasonable performance but not what I had hoped for. I still expect a higher degree of reliability and to keep this BF for another 10 years although we haven't traveled as much as I anticipated (55K) and we're using it less as we age.

Taking a myopic view, a Born Free diesel on a late model Ford chassis doesn't compare as well as others. YMMV.

Mike
Mike Jean Bandfield

Keep your 7.3 Sam and consider your good fortune. Thousands of recent model Ford diesel owners do not share your experience, will resent your fantasy and dispute your claims.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

100k , 200k , 300k , 1,000k it doesn't really matter ! As stated in earlier threads 99% of all motorhomes will have the coach wear out before they ever achieve those high mileage figures . A gas motorhome can therefore still have a sound drive train and chassis when it is no longer usable as a coach .
2012 25' rb
Mike Jean Bandfield

This appears to be a statement of fact that coaches wear out and become too old/obsolete and/or become un-serviceable long before either type of engine reaches end of life.
randallrae wrote:100k , 200k , 300k , 1,000k it doesn't really matter!
My interpretation: No one will ever see 100K miles :!: :?: Diesel or gas - makes no difference so why waste your money on diesel?
As stated in earlier threads 99% of all motorhomes will have the coach wear out before they ever achieve those high mileage figures .
My interpretation: Earlier threads are proof that 99% of MH's are junked before 100K? The diesel option's longevity will only benefit 1%?
Benefit of doubt: Perhaps you mean 99% change ownership? Even if the 1st statement were true, there are game changing choices buyers and owners make, modes of use and maintenance that change the equations for the 1%.
A gas motorhome can therefore still have a sound drive train and chassis when it is no longer usable as a coach .
I can't accept this statement for the 99% without qualification - maybe for a high number of low end entry level class-C RVs. I would assert that maintenance on a quality coach can keep it serviceable and comfortable to live and travel in at reasonable cost indefinitely. The same is true of drive trains - gas or diesel but the diesel dependability is proven - on average. A class-C motorhome buyer with a good driving history, who falls into the category of 'trekker' (think long miles), one who values quality, wants dependability @ >80K miles could legitimately justify a diesel purchase. The cost:benefit ratio goes up for the used diesel coach buyer.

What percentage of motorhomes are diesels? I don't know and can't find stats that break it down by category. Of class-As I find numbers of diesels quoted at ~40%. The View on the Sprinter chassis (only available in diesel) is said to have ~25% of the class-B market - that will skew the numbers somewhat. I'm guessing much of the majority of the class-C market is price driven and the diesel numbers are quite low. Diesel ownership among our Born Free club is very low based on my observation.

So randallrae, I reject your 99% number and the idea that all coaches are junk @ 100K miles. Furthermore, I believe that most new BF owners who opt for diesels understand the trade-offs and have legitimate reasons at the time of purchase to spend the extra $5-6K. Among my reasons for loving my diesel was the feeling I got half way across Nebraska when I realized I was easily going to surpass 800 miles on a tank of fuel :D Wahoo :!: Stupid - maybe - but diesel owners know what I'm talking about.

If you see me arguing what seems like both sides of this topic - please note - that is exactly what I am doing because the question is too vague. The answer to 'Gas vs Diesel' will always be: 'It depends' :)
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”