Why should I buy a Born Free

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

koenig

Why should I buy a Born Free

Post by koenig »

I am a new member and am considering buying a used Born Free. We currently own an older class a and are drawn to the Born Free for ease of handling. We are also looking at the Winnebago View. Would appreciate comments on the Born Free including pros and cons. What can I expect for mileage and would a diesel make sense for improved economy. Does anyone miss having a slide. Do all driver and passenger seats rotate to form part of cab. Is the bed over the cab suitable for two adults. Thanks for your help.

Ray
jobrien

Re: Why should I buy a Born Free

Post by jobrien »

Ray;

I had 2 class C's and 2 class A's before I bought my Born Free. The biggest pro's I guess are the quality and the customer service. Top notch there!

The only con I can think of is the cost. But I guess if you want the pro's you have to be willing to pay.

Mileage you can expect 8-10 mpg, realistically. I've had those instances where I have gotten 11 going downhill and the wind behind me.

I don't see the economy in buying a diesel. Diesel fuel used to be cheaper than regular gas, but not anymore. I don't know how many miles you would have to put on it to make up the difference in the cost of initially buying the diesel model and then the additional cost per gallon. I also don't know what the maintenance costs are for a diesel. I know there are less oil changes but when you are due for maintenance it's a larger bill.

The overhead bunk can sleep 2, depends on the people. I sleep on the overhead and my wife has the rear bed. The dogs have the couch :wink:

I miss having a slide once we are set up and if we will be there for a few days. The extra space would be nice. However, I don't miss the added weight of the slide, the extra maintenance and cleaning, or being outside in the rain disconnecting the electric when my helpful wife decides to bring the slide in. Do you have any idea of how much rain collects on the slide topper, and where it goes when the slide comes in? I have some idea :cry:

I think in one of the newer models the front passenger seat swivels all the way around. I don't think any others do.

Good luck in your shopping.

John
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

We are on our second BF and it still looks and handles like the day we bought it.....BUT if you have any problems you get the added bonus of calling Kim Olsen in Iowa to come to your rescue :mrgreen: we'll maybe it helps to be a hysterical female on the other end of the phone :lol:
2005 26' RSB Casual Elegance
stevek

Post by stevek »

On my BF, just the passenger seat rotates, not the drivers seat.
In my opinion the OH bed is just for one person, but you could squeeze 2.
What length are you looking at? What years? Price range?
You might also look at Lazy Daze Class C. Cheaper than Born Free, but not the workmanship/ safety: but a nice looking Class C. LD is also factory direct. Made in CA.
Good luck.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
John S.

Post by John S. »

I have owned 5 RVs total. Two Born Frees and three Foretravels. I have to say that the BF is one of the best built smaller units out there. I have had zero issues with either of the two I have had. My two front seats do not reverse but I have two of them as seating on the drivers side across from the couch. I think in a package for two the 24 foot Rear bath is a great unit. That being said, I might be selling mine to get a bit bigger unit so the grands can come along with us easier. This one will have a rear bed but it will be a BF.

Things I like:

Simple construction that is strong and no glue
Screws instead of staples
three roll bars
comfy and long wearing furniture
Ability to carry everything you need for a trip and actually use and live in the unit on a trip.
Drives very well for a camper
Good tank sizes for the ability to stay a while without a dump station.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
Dude

Post by Dude »

I can't speak to buying a new RV but I can speak to the longevity of the units. I have a 25yo BF and it is still in fairly good condition. Bedding, cabinets, drawers are all in good working order. The only appliances that have crapped out on me are the HWH but that happens over time (I consider it wear and tear), and the Heater which I was dissappointed when it went but not a big deal (I now use an electric heater 100% of the time when winter camping). The Front Window leaking was an issue for me but they did away with it in later years. The Ford 460 has 55k miles and the only thing that I have a problem with is the cab AC. I charged it but it won't hold the charge. I do mostly Fall Winter and Spring camping so no biggie for me and I chalk it up to normal wear and tear.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Our cabover fits the 2 of us easily but we are not tall people. My hubby is 5'8 and I'm 5'3. We usually sleep with our heads towards the kitchen. I would imagine if you were 6' or more it would be tougher. Sometimes it pays to be a little shorter :lol:
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”