? What Did You Do To Your Born Free Today?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

rhyde

Re: ? What Did You Do To Your Born Free Today?

Post by rhyde »

Thanks Sam,
Mine has the handle operated latch as you describe. I think this is a latch alignment issue. I have to lift up on the door slightly to get the latch catch to line up properly with the strike plate cutout. I seem to recall the Norcold hinges in my 92 Coachman were adjustable but these don't appear to be. I may have to try shimming them to correct the alignment.
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

Just picked it up yesterday (2002 24RB) so spent the entire day just looking it over and getting familiar with it. First outing is in 5 days to a local campground for 3 days just to get used to it. After 40 years of Vintage Airstreams I finally grew up. We'll maybe not, but that's another story. The coach is in imaculate condition thanks to the original owners, but I'll be looking to do some updates in the future.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Tahoe wrote:Just picked it up yesterday (2002 24RB) so spent the entire day just looking it over and getting familiar with it. First outing is in 5 days to a local campground for 3 days just to get used to it. After 40 years of Vintage Airstreams I finally grew up. We'll maybe not, but that's another story. The coach is in imaculate condition thanks to the original owners, but I'll be looking to do some updates in the future.
We're still moving into ours... should be finished today!

Russ, my Airforum number is 2053. I gave up Airstreams about ten years ago, but I still go to the Moraine View, IL forums rally as often as I can. My last AS was a 34' tri-axle... but I've had six or seven of them over twenty years including an '85 325 moho. I got tired of working on them. I wanted an RV I could just take places. ;)
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

We left on Wednesday and got home Friday for our 1st summer trip. I'm so proud of myself. I drove her both to and back home (around 125 miles) I know it's not like driving to Yellowstone but it's a start.. I had never driven her before. I think Curt enjoyed me driving because he pulled a cold beer out of the frig (now thinking back was he trusting me or was it liquid courage) I must give hime strokes for being so brave. :lol: I also did most of the set up. I'm going to the rally a day or 2 before Curt so I needed to know how to hook things up. Curt's comment was "I'll keep my phone on".. I think I did pretty good although if I need a little help I may be asking one of you for assistance ...

Jo
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
Bonnie McDowell

Post by Bonnie McDowell »

I now have upgraded the bathroom with Smart Tile!

I also have spent the last 2 weeks detailing the outside - BarKeepers Friend to remove stains, Meguiar's One Step Compound to remove chalking, followed by Zep Wet Look Floor Finish for the roof, cabover and back. The sides looked good without the floor finish. Very pleased with how it looks now.

Leaving Wednesday for 4 nights at Douthat State Park in Virginia with a friend and our 6 dogs! No cell signal, but 4500 acres with a 50 acre lake and 43 miles of trails.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (106.47 KiB) Viewed 15258 times
Bonnie McDowell
2002 Born Free 24' RB on Ford E450/V10
My first RV - purchased September 2012
Mary

Post by Mary »

Bonnie,

Your bathroom update looks fabulous! Have fun on your outing.

Mary
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Bonnie

Your bathroom looks great. I can't wait to use some smart tile to enhance our coach. Looking at yours makes me want to get it done immediately !!

Jo
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
rhyde

Post by rhyde »

Yesterday, I retired from General Dynamics after 34 years in shipbuilding as a mechanical engineer. For my 1st post retirement project, I decided to tackle the dull faded gel coat on the Born Free. We went to Home Depot and bought a gallon of Zep heavy traffic floor polish, a stiff bristle brush that will fit on a paint roller handle, some microfiber rags, and a Mr Clean Magic Eraser. I scrubber her down with the brush and just water. I had planned to use some type of cleaner, but the water and brush seemed to do the trick. Once clean, I applied 2 coats of Zeps. What a difference. I plan to do 2 more coats tomorrow. Senior management advises me that my 2nd project is to mow the lawn.
After 2 coats.jpg
After 2 coats.jpg (146.83 KiB) Viewed 15121 times
After 2 coats1.jpg
After 2 coats1.jpg (132.71 KiB) Viewed 15121 times
David and Susan Bratt

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

Congratulations on your retirement. Love every minute. And the coach looks great.
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
96rsbowner

Post by 96rsbowner »

Well it took several days of spare time but i replaced the original water heater with an electric and propane atwood model. New one starts up instantly on gas. Much better than the hit or miss with the old one. The hardest part of the change out is crawling under the bed area and working in the compartment while laying on the floor making the gas, electric and water connections.
David and Susan Bratt

Replaced the chassis battery and fixed the hook up on the house batteries. And drove it to storage after a wonderful homecoming rally.
Rover 2002 24ft RB

Bonnie McDowell

Post by Bonnie McDowell »

Have you converted Rover's generator compartment back to housing a generator?
Bonnie McDowell
2002 Born Free 24' RB on Ford E450/V10
My first RV - purchased September 2012
David and Susan Bratt

Bonnie, We still have the inverter/charger and are not planning to put in a generator.
Rover 2002 24ft RB

rhyde

Post by rhyde »

We took it for a short 'spur of the moment' 2 night trip through the western mountains and lakes region of the state (Maine). We left home about 2 PM Monday, spent the night at Mount Blue State Park in Weld (about 3 hours from home). On Wednesday, we travelled a 15 mile dirt road over to Coos Canyon in Byron. From there we traveled up Route 17 (designated a National Scenic By-Way) across the 'Height of Land' overlooking Mooselookmeguntic Lake, and on up to Rangely Lake. We then took Route 16 west into New Hampshire, then back into Maine on Route 26 down through Grafton Notch State Park to Bethel. From Bethel we travelled down to Naples and spent the night at Sebago Lake State Park, travelling back home Wednesday morning.
Height of Land 1.jpg
Height of Land 1.jpg (165.54 KiB) Viewed 14850 times
Height of Land 2.jpg
Height of Land 2.jpg (95.53 KiB) Viewed 14850 times
Height of Land 3.jpg
Height of Land 3.jpg (108.93 KiB) Viewed 14850 times
Mary

Post by Mary »

Awesome photos and the BF looks great. Sounds like you guys had a wonderful get-away.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”