Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

WardPAW

Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer

Post by WardPAW »

I purchased a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer for our coach. If anyone has pictures of the installation on your coach, I would appreciate a couple pictures posted to this thread. I am curious to see how the frame bracket is mounted. We have a 26 RSB on an E-450 chassis.

Thank you.
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel
RV Name: Lion PAW
Mary

Re: Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer

Post by Mary »

If you are still in need of requested photos .... I am the current owner of Mel & Connie Wilbur's 2002 26RB coach. Mel installed this hardware on his coach. I plan to pick it up from storage and bring it home tonight. If all goes as planned, I will attempt to take some photos for you once I have it here. Not exactly certain if I will know what to look for but assume it will be hardware located in the vicinity of the front axle between the two front tires. :?

Mary
stevek

Post by stevek »

It looks like a GIANT shock absorber.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzl3dk8Jvo8
Congrats on getting Mel's coach. :D Bet its really nice.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Mary

Post by Mary »

WardPAW wrote:I purchased a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer for our coach. If anyone has pictures of the installation on your coach, I would appreciate a couple pictures posted to this thread. I am curious to see how the frame bracket is mounted. We have a 26 RSB on an E-450 chassis.

Thank you.
Well, my son wasn't able to take me out to pick up the coach last night so unable right now to take promised photos. Here is a link to a youtube video that shows in great detail how to install the Safe T Plus steering stabilizer . Excellent photos and step by step directions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn6sXdd8Cdg

Mary
WardPAW

Post by WardPAW »

Mary,

Thanks for the attempt to take the photos. I have been communicating with Safe-T-Plus about the installation. The stabilizer will be installed later this week. I'll post some photos once it is on the coach.

I have viewed the online installation videos, but all of the videos are for Class A motorhomes. Safe-T-Plus does not have any photos of E-450 installations, so they want my photos as well.
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel
Mary

Post by Mary »

Hi Ben,

Your sharing the installation photos will be a fantastic resource for owners of coaches built on the Ford E450 chassis.

Thank you for bringing this up as I've now learned a bit more of what this device looks like and what it is designed to do. Now I'm curious to look under my coach and see if I can spot the hardware.

Good luck with the installation. I'll look forward to seeing your installation photos and reading your comments.

Mary
sw23185

Post by sw23185 »

[ deleted ]
Last edited by sw23185 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
WardPAW

Post by WardPAW »

The stabilizer was installed today. The coach definitely drives better. The steering wheel stays centered and you do not have the drifting from side to side. No fatigue driving the coach.

I had the stabilizer installed at an alignment shop. We're now ready for our summer trip to the Northeast in July.

Some photos are attached for your review. The sad thing about the photos is that they remain me that I should touch up the undercarriage with some black Rust-O-leum paint.

I have more photos. If anyone would like to see more photos, please send me a private message with your email address and I'll forward additional photos to you.
Attachments
IMG_6318.JPG
IMG_6318.JPG (100.45 KiB) Viewed 14934 times
IMG_6317.JPG
IMG_6317.JPG (119.22 KiB) Viewed 14934 times
Safe-T-Plus Stabilizer 31-140 with E-340K13 mounting bracket kit
Safe-T-Plus Stabilizer 31-140 with E-340K13 mounting bracket kit
IMG_6313.JPG (89.42 KiB) Viewed 14934 times
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel
Mary

Post by Mary »

Thank you, Ben, for sharing these extremely detailed photos. They will be such a helpful resource for the forum.

To read your opinion of the 'before and after' handling will be so helpful to other BF owners who are considering this add-on for their coach. I certainly feel safer knowing this hardware is installed on my coach. Not having the experience of driving this coach before the hardware was installed, I've no comparison but I do find the steering and road manners of the BF to be superb.

Mary
2002 26RB
ChuckM

Post by ChuckM »

Mary wrote: I've no comparison but I do find the steering and road manners of the BF to be superb. Mary
2002 26RB
The ford steering is not ideal. I have about 2 inches of movement while steering at all times.
The only saving grace is that the vehicle doesn't change direction on it own.. much.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Chuck,

If you have 2" of free play in your steering wheel, you should have your tie rod joints and steering gear box checked for looseness. Installing the Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer will not fix that free play.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
mgilles0

Post by mgilles0 »

Wow, thanks so much for the pictures. They really helped me get my new Safe-T-Plus and Hellwig sway bar installed. Not even the instructions from Safe-T-Plus show about mounting on an E450. It really helped to see the pictures to help visualize what my own installation. Much appreciated!
WardPAW

Post by WardPAW »

An update:

I had to replace the original sway bolts with longer bolts. The 3/8" thick stabilizer bracket is mounted under the sway bar bracket, so the original bolts hardly got a bite on the threads in the frame, The bolts are metric. Bolts are available at both Ace & True Value Hardware.
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”