RG6 cable for land connection

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Tahoe

RG6 cable for land connection

Post by Tahoe »

At some point I'll replace my old antenna with an HD one and replace the cable as described in other posts, but I also want to replace the old cable with new RG6 from the land connection. Has anyone done this on a 24RB? Curious as to how hard or easy it is to do and where the cable routes. Not really a big deal for this year as everywhere we will camp this year will not have any hookups. At times we will indulge and go to an RV park, so when that does happen it would be nice to enjoy HD.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
tomzleapin

Re: RG6 cable for land connection

Post by tomzleapin »

For info on some options, read this thread: http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... f=4&t=4739

You shouldn't need to replace your cable. If the connectors are corroded, they can be replaced.

Amongst the RV community the Winegard Sensar IV is considered the best RV antenna. The Sensar has much better VHF reception compared to the other models. A recent addition to the Winegard lineup is the Rayzar Air. Comments on the forums have been quite positive.

Keep in mind that if you go with the Sensar IV or Sensar III with the Wingman attachment that it will not stow properly when mounted in the normal way. I mounted mine so that it stows sideways.

Most new antennas are active, meaning that they have an amplifier built into the head unit and need 12 volt fed up the coax. The old Delta rabbit ears are passive with no amplifier. The amplifier is built into the wall plate near the TV. This will need to be replaced.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

Thanks! I did read that thread already and fould it to be excellent. My only thought was it is easy to replace the older RG59 with RG6 it might be worth it the picture quality is better. I realize we are not talking about a long length of cable so there may be no difference at all. In our house which was wired from new with RG59 I had to run RG6 cable under the house when we switched to HD. We tried to use the original cable but we were not happy with the pictures in any room. Switching to RG6 made a real improvement. Apples and oranges though, because in the BF were looking at a short run and only 1 TV. Next week I may try an experiment and hook up our house cable to the BF, and then try a separate cable directly to the TV just to see if there is any difference. Hey, if I have the time why not see what happens, if anything.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

We had a 98 and used the factory cable for our satellite ! The satellite won't work with RG59 so the factory must have used RG6. I had to remove the cable from the amplifier and hook it directly to the satellite . Special high frequency blue couplers are required .
Last edited by randallrae on Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 25' rb
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

The plot thickens. I can't get a signal to go through the cable connection from outside. Seems strange, and yes I did switch over from antenna to cable. Any thoughts? If I hook up directly to tv all is good. I pulled the switch plate and everything looks like it's never been touched. I have no clue why this is happening. I guess I'll try to follow the cable, if that's possible.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
Steve

Post by Steve »

Russ, on our 2005 24RB it is easy to pull in a new cable, just follow the rollbar. The cable terminates on the outside jack runs under the sink up a 3 inch boxed in opening to the ceiling (inside a cabinet) across the ceiling via the rollbar to the storage cabinets on the passenger side and to the TV plate.

Steve
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

Steve,

Thanks, sounds easy. Will check into it later this week.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”