pulling jeeps

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

hindeb

Re: pulling jeeps

Post by hindeb »

I've towed a 2001 Jeep TJ Sport for 5 years behind a 2004 26RB Diesel. We live in the Colorado high country so are constantly going over mountain passes and fairly steep grades. The only thing I have to watch on this 6.0 diesel is the water and oil temperatures and adjust my speed accordingly. I've driven across South Dakota, Wyoming, and New Mexico in the spring time and have not had major problems with cross winds or the big trucks passing. I usually drive between 60 and 65 on the interstates so am being passed quite often. When I am not towing, I get between 11.5 and 13 MPG depending on the terrain and the elevation. The jeep usually subtracts about 1 to 1.5 MPG from my average. This diesel is much happier at the lower altitude (below 3000') than is is at 7000'. Ford discontinued this engine after 4 years. I would recommend a ScanGauge II or similar to watch oil, water, and transmission temperatures.
I use a Blue Ox tow bar and built my own base plate for the Jeep. I have a Unified Tow Brake installed and have been completely happy with their setup. The Jeep side of the system is an electric solenoid, a vacuum pump, and a cable to the brake pedal. There is nothing to connect or disconnect as far as the jeep is concerned. The brake controller is in the BF and there is a 12V charge line that keeps the Jeep battery charged as you drive. I did install a rear view camera because I cant see the Jeep when it is attached except for a shadow if the sun is at the right angle. Now I at least know if its still coming with us.
I have not installed tire pressure monitors yet, but may do so in the future.
Last fall my neighbor and I attend a Packer game in Green Bay and toured the Michigan UP without towing and it wasn't bad. The BF is one great tail gate party bus(!) and the dogs don't have to go into a kennel for the day. My neighbor tows a 1998 TJ 4 cylinder with is 2004 26RSB. His jeep weighs less and he has no trouble with his V10 gasser. Good luck!
Bruce & Teresa Hinde
Steamboat Springs, CO
2004 26RB Diesel
2001 Jeep Wrangler
John S.

Post by John S. »

I pulled my wrangler one trip and decided not to do that again. I found no need to pull it as we rather take the BF to get around. It is easy to drive and park compared to bigger coaches. It handled pulling ok but I felt it. Now I have pulled this same jeep 370k miles behind my Foretravels with no problem. It was not cross winds but the pull and surge on the hills that I did not like.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

John S. wrote:I pulled my wrangler one trip and decided not to do that again. I found no need to pull it as we rather take the BF to get around. It is easy to drive and park compared to bigger coaches. It handled pulling ok but I felt it. Now I have pulled this same jeep 370k miles behind my Foretravels with no problem. It was not cross winds but the pull and surge on the hills that I did not like.
I'd guess that your 24' BF's curb weight in the neighborhood of 10,000 lbs and your Foretravel weighed upwards of 30,000 lbs... that's a pretty significant difference. A two-ton car can push a 5 ton motorhome around a lot easier than a 15 ton motorhome.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”