Window Tinting

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Brent

Window Tinting

Post by Brent »

New coaches may have tinted windows - mine does not. How many of you have tinted windows? Do you like it - or see any draw backs? Any advice is always appreciated.

Thank you

Brent
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
Dallas Baillio

Re: Window Tinting

Post by Dallas Baillio »

The windows on my 2001 have a factory (manufacturer) tint. They do provide a degree of privacy during the day. I don't see much heat comtrol though. I added two layers of tint to the entry door primarily for privacy. It isn't double paned like the others. I've never considered tinting the cab windows, but now that you have raised the issue, doing so may be a good idea to reduce sunlight and heat. Perhaps others will comment on their experiences.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I would check on the legality of tinting the cab windows. Some states do not allow a dark tint on vehicles for police safety reasons.
stevek

Post by stevek »

Same here in CA, it is not legal.
But I do not think they really enforce the law.
Many years back I got a fix it ticket for dark tinted windows on a PU.
I do not like windows that are so dark, you can not see the driver in the daylight.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

The degree of tint is the issue. Really dark tints are often illegal, but as stevek says there is not much enforcement. On a funny note a quick story. My daughter is a physician and some years ago told me of a male patient who asked her for a "prescription" for tinting the windows of his auto. His intention was to have a written document to present to the police if stopped. He justified his request by telling her he had a urinary problem and sometimes needed to "go" while in his car!
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Brent

Post by Brent »

I'm thinking to do the cab the same level of tint as my car. I like Dallas' idea of making the rear door dark for privacy. However I've seen some use a decal on this window that looks like frosted glass and it looked nice. I'm unsure about the side coach windows.

Brent
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Just our side door has tinting and I like that. You can hardly see in. Keeps the creepers from looking in :lol:
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
stevek

Post by stevek »

Regarding tinting, you might try tinting that clings rather than is permanent, and it is removable.
I see some on Amazon.
One brand is Black Magic, Insta Cling.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

we tinted our tinted and love it. It is SUPER dark
2005 26' RSB Casual Elegance
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

We really like the tinted windows in our 2015. You cannot see in the windows during the day with no interior lights on. The day shades also cut down on the sun glare and some heat but do not obstruct the view to the outside like the day shades in our 2004 did.
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”