cleaning drapes

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jobrien

cleaning drapes

Post by jobrien »

HAs anyone cleaned their curtains? The ones that are used to close off the driving area from the living area, and at the foot of the bed on the RSB models. Are they washable or should they be dry cleaned?

Thanks
troutman1971

Re: cleaning drapes

Post by troutman1971 »

I just finished having all the curtains dry cleaned. It wasn't cheap but they look great and are wrinkle free.
Mark

2003 26 RSB
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

We think we asked Kim about this once (but, remember, we now have senior moments and may be misremembering), and the answer was dry clean. The fabric certainly does not look like one that would take kindly to regular laundering.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I washed mine with good results. Fool that I am I did not even think to check if dry cleaning was advised. It may be that some model years are of different fabric. I also washed the cabover privacy drapes and the cabover window drapes. All came out fine without ironing.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

We have a 2004 and I just washed them on the gentle cycle and then hung them to dry. Turned out fantastic. They look new again. I think it was the first time they had been washed, anyway they smelled like it.

Good luck

Jo
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
wandering bark

Post by wandering bark »

I put my front drapes with the lining into a washing machine on gentle cycle with a bit of Tide. Stuffed them in a dryer on gentle and they came out absolutely beautifully clean, no wrinkles, no color loss at all, and like new. Had reservations of course, but with an allergy to drycleaning fluids and fumes, had no choice except just buy new ones. Since they turned out so great, think I'll do the upper side windows. BF surely went for quality and durability.
Side note: I found in Wally Mart, back in the curtain area, several panels of buff colored long straight curtains, exact color and texture of the Flexsteel chairs, and at some point as the day/night shades eventually go, I plan on making some sort of side window treatment...the panels are lined for privacy.
Wandering Bark
2010 Born Free 27' rsb
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

I ended up making new drapes out of the lined ones at Walmart and they turned out very nice. The color was perfect. We took down all the aluminum railing the drapes went on and I spaced out velcro on the drapes and I love them. Now the drapes are just hung onto the fabric walls. When not in use I just lay the drapes flat and it has worked our for us. I also made a new window curtain for the door that matched..

Jo
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
dowellcj

Post by dowellcj »

The interior designer that spoke to us at the homecoming rally, said that because all the fabrics are treated by law with fire retardant, they should be dry cleaned, especially if you need to clean portions. Water will cause staining in halos. I would think washing the whole drape would be fine, but will probably interfere with the fire resistance. She suggested commercially available dry cleaning spray for the fabrics.
Caryl
Caryl & Tom Dowell
Sequim, WA
2015 Splendor (27 RSB)
Prior coach 2008 24RB
wandering bark

Post by wandering bark »

Dry cleaning and fire retardants are a great idea if one can stand the chemicals, and I am allergic to dry cleaning fumes and dust. The best advice I received came from our local fire captain: "Get yourself and your dogs out immediately and call 9-1-1. Those chemicals slow the fire, but won't necessarily stop it."
Thus, in my particular case, the machine-washed drapes are fine. And I have never felt unsafe in my Born Free. :D

Wandering Bark 2010 Born Free 27'

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”