When I see a Gas V10 BF w/ Banks Power, whats it mean?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

When I see a Gas V10 BF w/ Banks Power, whats it mean?

Post by stevek »

I looked on the Banks Power Web site.
All I could see was exhaust headers and mufflers for the Ford V10.
Anything else?
Does anybody have Banks Power? If so, what are the plus/ minuses?
How much does the conversion cost? Approx?

What about if its a Diesel BF? Same thing? Or different?
Thanks.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Steve W

Re: When I see a Gas V10 BF w/ Banks Power, whats it mean?

Post by Steve W »

stevek

When we were trailer towing, I had the Banks Power System installed on our Chev pu. The result was significantly more power, a cooler running engine, but very little increase in fuel mileage. Sometime back, I checked into having the same unit installed on our 2007 24RB and learned two things. One, the cost is a little over $3,000. plus tax. Two, in California, the installer must also install an air valve to meet our emission standards, though in so doing the air valve pretty much negates any of the power increase that the system offers. In other words, it is a wash out and you are out a bit of money. If we lived in a state other than Nanny California, considering the power increase that we received when it was installed on our pickup, I would consider it, reasoning that the cost would be cheaper if we lived elsewhere.
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

think Tim the Tooltime Taylor.....more power :D
2005 26' RSB Casual Elegance
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Steve,
Your engine is good for just so many horsepower hours. More horsepower, less hours. Also there are issues with some Born Free models about exhaust pipe routing vis-a-vis under floor equipment. And, depending on your state there can be big time emission reg. problems. The Banks folks do not have a whole lot to say on above issues.
JMO,
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks everybody. I just thought it was more involved.
Just modification to exhaust I guess.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 9.32.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 9.32.13 AM.png (170.19 KiB) Viewed 6899 times
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Many van chassis engines over the years have been de-tuned to run cooler due to the lack of airflow around these engines. Hopping them up may (1) void your warranty or (2) negate the factory configuration and allow you to easily burn up your engine.

The Banks system also allows you some flexibility to change tuning to custom fit your driving needs on the fly (i.e., towing, performance, economy, etc.)

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Steve, when we installed the Banks PowerPack system back in 2002 the cost was just under $2,100.00 when ordering directly from Banks. This included their OttoMind calibration chip to add to the Ford computer module. At that time their brochure stated up to a possible plus 53 horsepower along with a possible 69 LB-FT boost in torque and up to 7% fuel economy. For me the fuel economy was more like 1-2% increase but that was not my goal. I was looking for more torque and the system did deliver. This was most notable in the decrease of downshifting on grades and hills

By using an air restriction gauge installed just after the air filter I did determine that the V-10 engine wanted more air. This I was able to supply by changing the air filter housing to the one supplied by banks for their Class A Power pack system.

Fortunately, for installation, I have a friend who just happens to be a top notch Ford light duty truck mechanic that did 98% of the work in my garage over a two week period of nights and weekends. This is not a DIY project. In fact, I recall talking to Banks and was told they allow 12 hours to install the system on a Class C motorhome and that's with trained mechanics and lifts.

I'm sure there has been many changes to the Banks systems since 2002 but the bottom line is I was very happy with the results and would do it again.
Mel & Connie

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”