Oil Change Interval

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Mel Wilbur

Oil

Post by Mel Wilbur »

What to use and when to change it is a very personal choice type of thing. My personal choice is synthetic motor oil, transmission fluid and rear axle lube. I have been using Amsoil products in all 3 areas and after 5 years and 59k miles on our V10 have had no problems. I am using 5w30 and agree with Steve that ford previously recommended 5w30 but switched to 5w20 to gain the extra .01mpg, however I understand that was based on petroleum based oil and not on synthetics. I change filters every 5k and oil at 15k. I am sure there are those who disagree with this but as I said we all have our preferences and that is the way it should be. I use the same 5w30 in the generator and with just under 500 hours it starts and runs just great. As a side note we have a 12kw standby generator at home (generac) and the manual calls for synthetic 5w30 oil.
Mel & Connie
Brent

Post by Brent »

I just use the Motorcraft oil 5w-20, synthetic blend, the Motorcraft oil filter and I change about every 2500 miles.

Would I be helping the engine life in any measurable fashion if I switched to the 5w-30 synthetic blend? I have about 50M on a 99' V-10?
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
Steve

Post by Steve »

Mel,
I was perusing the Amsoil website, I like the idea of a dual filter system, have you used it or know anyone that uses it, how do you like it. I was looking at the BMK12.
What grade of Amsoil do you use in your BF?
Steve
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Steve,
I have not installed a by-pass filter but am considering it. The cleaner we can keep the oil the better and I am using the 5w30 weight in the coach.
Mel & Connie
BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Mel:

Have you considered the AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 which is what they recommended to us? Also, what AMSOIL are you using in your transmission and rear end, as we have encountered some level of confusion on both.
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
Steve

Post by Steve »

Mel,
I guess I was looking at their other ratings, ASL which is what you have and ATM or AMO, I just needed to read your post a little more carefully. Do you think the 10-40 would be better in that it should be able to handle heavier loads such as a 24' or larger BF?

Steve
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Steve,

As for using 10w40, thats something for you to decide. I certainly am not an authority on motor oils and as I stated earlier, we all have to do what we are comfortable with after researching the situation.
Mel & Connie
rjcorazza

Post by rjcorazza »

I am a big fan of bypass filtration. I have bypass filters on most everything except my 95 Born Free, which will hopefully have one soon.
A realistic expectation is that your oil will be about 10 times cleaner than with the full flow filter alone.
I have almost 50k miles without an oil change on my DW's 190k van. 3k filter changes and adding 0.75qts (per filter change) keeps the additive package up, as well as the TBN (total base number).
From a monetary standpoint the break-even point for the filters in my applications are about 4 years. After that, it's money in the bank.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”