Would you keep your satellite for TV?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Brent

Would you keep your satellite for TV?

Post by Brent »

While camping with some friends last month I noticed that even though we were in an isolated area with poor TV reception, they were not using their satellite.

They just felt it was too much of a hassle to set up, find a satellite, etc. I was going to get one, now I'm not sure.

What is the experience of users?

I typically use my unit as a vehicle, do not tow. So would like a very hassle free set up, is this realistic?
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
Steve

Post by Steve »

Brent,
You can check out my sat dish install under coach modifications. I had the same concerns as you, a friend had a sat dish setup for DirectTV, but he hated to move after he was setup, so he didn't want to travel much.
Anyway I decided to install the MotoSat unit and all I have to do is power up the controller and push one button and walk away and the motosat dish locks onto the Dish satellites and I'm ready to go, takes about 1 minute.
There are several other types of sat dishs out there such as the Dome type, but I thought the Motosat would give me a better signal in the area I live (Pacific Northwest). If you don't want to do the install yourself, there are plenty of RV outfits that will do it for you.
Steve
bill crommett

TV

Post by bill crommett »

Brent: We have an inactive Kingdome on our coach and we cancelled our direct TV account. It was too much trouble to program in the satellite when we were parked in the open and we too often picked a nice shady spot in a park with cable. At home we have lost interest in the juvenile comics and we have lost patience with the repetetive commercials so we are back to the antenna again. I am considering getting a Winegard bat wing for the coach because the delta is less than satisfactory. (One of Born Free's greater mistakes)

Does anyone want to buy a Kingdome ?
Judy Harris

Post by Judy Harris »

Bill, are you still trying to sell that Kingdome? It depends on what you want when you travel. We have a Kingdome - we don't want to mess with a portable dish. The Kingdome works well, if you aren't under trees, which is about half of the time. Many campgrounds have cable and if not, have a local station or two that you can get with the batwing antenna. We already have Directv at home since cable is not available where we live, so the extra receiver only costs us $4.95/month. If you don't have a satellite at home, it will cost you about $35/month for the BF. I am a news and sports junkie, but for $35 a month, I could do without while traveling! If there is an event we really want to watch, we head for a campground with cable. That worked well until our recent trip to Alaska where in Watson Lake, YT, the "cable" had 5 channels, two of which were Speed and QVC!
bill crommett

TV

Post by bill crommett »

Judy: The Kingdome was on the unit when we bought it and the biggest problem is that it is an "ON The Go " system and I am not smart enough to program it. Even when I have programmed it properly, I get so disgusted with the programs and the advertizements that I soon turn it off and pick up a magazine or book.
So when we got home and our contract with Directv was up I just cancellled and rigged up the "off the air" system which we don't watch much either.

And I am a Directv stockholder, to boot. This is by virtue of my buying a few shares of GM stock some 25 years ago when GM owned Hughes, EDS, Delphi, and some others that were spun off.

Bill
P&C Hlavaz

Sat. Dish

Post by P&C Hlavaz »

Brent,
We have a KVH in-motion unit from Camping World. We had it installed right after we purchased our 2004 RSB. It works great! On the rare occasions when we are traveling late, or if there is a significant news event, my wife will watch it while we are on the road. Otherwise it easily locks in at campgrounds by just turning the unit on (unless we are parked under a tree that doesn't give us a clear view of the Southern sky. We highly recommend the KVH.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”