refrigerator cutting out when in the gas mode

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

hrgermany

Post by hrgermany »

I just came back from a camping trip and had problems with my refrigerator cutting out when in the gas mode.I start it back up and it runs again for a while or same times for hours.I am a mechanic by trade,but at this point dont know were to start.I have 1995 BF with aDometic refrigerator.Any help will be great.
Hans Rueckert
Jim Hofmann

Post by Jim Hofmann »

This reply may see like a joke, but I am serious. In the past, when I have had similiar problems I remove the gas jet, soak it (the jet) in a shot glass of vodka for about ten minutes +/-. I then replace the jet and fire up the frig. If it works (which it alway has) I then drink the shot glass of vodka in celebration.
I think what I am accomplishing here is removal of the build up in the oriface of the jet from the odorent added to the gas.

Jim
Jim Hofmann

Post by Jim Hofmann »

A PS. to mypost ablve: After soaking the jet (oriface) I blow it out with a shot of high pressure air from my compressor.
Jim
Ralph Strauch

Post by Ralph Strauch »

What altitude were you camping at? Gas fridges have a problem at higher altitudes, where the air is thinner. I've also found more of a problem in keeping it lit when it's colder. So the worst time is late night or early morning at high altitude. There doesn't seem to be much you can do about it.

I've found that when my Norcold won't relight from the automatic igniter I can sometimes easily relight it with a butane stove lighter (while the igniter is clicking, so it has a supply of gas).

There was quite a bit of discussion of this problem several months ago, so you might search the archives.

Ralph
hrgermany

Post by hrgermany »

I come to think of it,it happend when I was in the mountains at @7000 feet.When I came home I cleaned the burnertube fluetube and burnerjet.
Everything is working again so far.
Hans Rueckert

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”