How many of you wish your Born Free had an Electric Step

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

How many of you wish your Born Free had an Electric Step

Post by stevek »

I do.
Wish mine had an electric step.
Just one step would be fine. Would be nice to push a button.
The older I get....Messing with and carrying a portable step is a pain to me.
Just my 2 cents.
Last edited by stevek on Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
96rsbowner

Re: How many of you wish your Born Free had a built in Step?

Post by 96rsbowner »

i do too, i have to carry along my own homemade one that is just the right height.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Mine has a built in step. I think every Born Free has a built in step. They are not retractable but they are built in! :D
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

We carry a fold up step with us. Keep it in a custom denim bag made for it (so the metal step doesn't scratch things up) and stash it behind the chair next to the door. Its easy to grab, set up, and put away.

Even so, we seldom use it, only when there is an extra stretch from the Born Free step to the ground.

I like the built in step. For me, its one of the good features of the Born Free...always there, available, and not subject to mechanical failure as the motor driven ones are.
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
stevek

Post by stevek »

Something like this. But I think maybe it would hang down too low when folded up.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-08-27 at 6.40.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-08-27 at 6.40.43 AM.png (96.97 KiB) Viewed 19145 times
Steve
CA/OR border
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Steve, be careful what you wish for! The 550 diesel chassis has a kwikee step similar to your picutre. Ours failed in the extended position after 6 months. Now we carry bungee cords and know how to disengage the step to retract it manually. According to Camping World, they are a repair leader in the service department. And yes, the 450 chassis would be too low for the electric step. Our first step failure was caused by a stripped bolt probably caused by an encounter with a snow bank?

Judy
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
Mary

Post by Mary »

If you mean an electric step, I intend to have one installed on my BF. I have a bad back and travel alone so I feel the need of one.

I owned a 26.5' twin bed Firan Telstar some years ago that was built on a Ford 350 chassis. It had a 'one step' electric step on it and I loved it. It could be locked in the 'out position' when parked for a length of time. The built in exit step inside the coach was lower than the BF and yet I enjoyed the additional electric step and never had an operational problem with it. This is not to suggest that problems could not occur but what on an RV doesn't ever develop a problem? Anything mechanical can potentially cause problems.

I called BF and ask if it was possible and OK to have one installed on the BF and they said yes. Of course, they couldn't really understand my need of one. Like anything else we choose to add to the coach for enjoyment, it's a personal decision.

Mary
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

We'd love a built in step. My husband made a wooden step that takes up floor space inside our BF.
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I have driven off and left 3 portable steps at campgrounds. They were all the cheap plastic ones. I bought a more expensive metal one recently believing if I pay more I will be more inclined to remember to stow it away before driving off. Not all that logical, but the reasoning seems to be working so far :D
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Uh... mine has an electric step. :mrgreen:
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
FrankGRUN

Re: How many of you wish your Born Free had an Electric Step

Post by FrankGRUN »

Interesting! My 1982 Born Free 24RB has a vacuum operated step. Step is retracted with the engine on and extended with engine off. Still functioning perfectly. Original component manufacturer long gone, but very simple mechanism. The vacuum motor still available in industrial applications.
Frank and Paula
1982 BF 24' RB
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks for sharing that with us.
Yes, very interesting. New to me.
Maybe something like this?
B&L Industries brochure.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 10.17.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 10.17.27 AM.png (684.4 KiB) Viewed 18720 times
Steve
CA/OR border
FrankGRUN

Post by FrankGRUN »

Yep, the same!
Frank and Paula
1982 BF 24' RB
jjhepkin

Post by jjhepkin »

The chevy kodiak chasis sits higher off the ground than the ford and did come with the electric step.
So far no problems and I do lube the pivot points a couple of times yearly. The safety feature has an override so if the switch is left on and the step in the down position, it automatically retracts when the ignition key is turned on.
As my wife and i aren't as sure footed as we once were, we really appreciate having it.
John & Janet Hepkin

2009 28' RSB Kodiak Chassis 8.1L
Previously owned 2004 Chinook Destiny
truenorth

Post by truenorth »

I have a '89 BF that has a retractable step but looks like it stopped working some time ago (as evidenced by the wires holding it up now). Any recommendations on a good place to go to get this repaired/replaced in the San Fernando Valley/LA area?

At the moment we can step on it as it's slightly extended but it's more of a trip and fall hazard to use it that way than to just hop down or use a portable step.

But the floor space is precious in this 24' model and would be ideal not to lug around another item regardless of how small a step is! :shock:

Thanks!

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”