How many of you wish your Born Free had an Electric Step

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

tevz32

Re: How many of you wish your Born Free had an Electric Step

Post by tevz32 »

I have one on my '91 26RB. It works great but it rattles going down the road. I have to tie it up with a bungee or it drives my wife crazy. I see no way to tighten the mechanism-it has to slide. :?
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

truenorth wrote:I have a '89 BF that has a retractable step but looks like it stopped working some time ago (as evidenced by the wires holding it up now). Any recommendations on a good place to go to get this repaired/replaced in the San Fernando Valley/LA area?

At the moment we can step on it as it's slightly extended but it's more of a trip and fall hazard to use it that way than to just hop down or use a portable step.

But the floor space is precious in this 24' model and would be ideal not to lug around another item regardless of how small a step is! :shock:

Thanks!
Any good RV dealer should be able to service that step for you. They were a stock, off-the-shelf item. If parts aren't available for your particular step, you can have a new one installed. The electric steps can be found for around $350.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
Michal9651

Post by Michal9651 »

I have a 1983 24' President with this step. Still working but interested in learning any resource of parts. FranGrun, you mentioned similar parts available in industry. I would love to discuss this with you. My Born Free is the dual fuel model like your's. Feel free to pm me.
Michael
FrankGRUN

Post by FrankGRUN »

Michal9651, I have continued to restore, upgrade and modify my 1982 Dual Fuel Born Free 24Ft Rear Bath unit. I have found virtual no interest on this forum for the older Born Free units, so I have stopped posting any details here. I'll PM you separately to initiate some possible exchanges of information.
Frank and Paula
1982 BF 24' RB
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

There is still older coaches out there being restored that can still use your input. Brandon Dodgen has an 86 he is considering to restore , a late 70's on a chevy chassis he is not sure what he will do with , and one of their bus type coaches on a Ford chassis that was used to haul cabinets over to assembly .
2012 25' rb
stevek

Post by stevek »

I agree. Please hang around, we can use your input.
Tell us about your 1982 Dual Fuel Born Free?
What the heck is dual fuel? Thanks. Sounds interesting.

After a little research, I think the BF runs on LPG or Gas.
And, Looks like it came from the BF factory that way?
I wonder how common this is and how many were produced?
Thanks for any input.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”