Do you have a pet name for your Born Free?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

rhyde

Re: Do you have a pet name for your Born Free?

Post by rhyde »

Our old American Cruiser (similar to a Roadtrek) had a combined black water and grey water tank and despite adding a tank washing system and a venturi vent, she frequently emitted a less than desirable odor. As a result, we called her "Old Stinky".

So far, we haven't had that problem with the Born Free and tend to refer to her as our (. . SORRY . .) "Rig". To my defense, here in rural Maine, the term "Rig" is actually used with pride for all kinds of vehicles; from tractors and skidders (pronounced tractahs and skiddahs) to luxury Class A's. Generally if its got tracks or wheels, it's a rig, and heated discussions as to who's rig is better are not at all uncommon.

Thought maybe this afternoon, I'd fire up our Rig and take Mothah for an overnight trip down to Boothbay Habah and get some Lobstah.
wandering bark

Post by wandering bark »

I call my Born Free "The Wandering Bark" from Shakespeare's sonnet 116...that love is the star to every wandering bark...a sailing reference to a sailing ship known as a bark, using the stars for navigation. Having four well-traveled and well-loved dogs fits in there too although they seldom bark. :D
I also call it my "rig" and offer no apology for it, as it was my money that bought it, my hands that care for it, and my self that travels in it. If someone digs very deep in their pocket and puts out the moolah for my rig, then they can "suggest" what I might call it. Until then, it remains The Wandering Bark, my joy and my rig. :)
Wishing everyone a great North Star and happy traveling!
The Wandering Bark 27'rsb Born Free
cmeadows

Post by cmeadows »

Our Born Free is Miss Piggy. The name was bestowed by Laura's sister and came with a mascot. Kermit is our towed.
Miss Piggy is high maintenance and occasionally rides on the dash. Kermit works for a living and drives the towed.
Attachments
Miss Piggy & Kermit.jpg
Miss Piggy & Kermit.jpg (76.59 KiB) Viewed 11083 times
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

We call our Born Free BeMo the first 2 letters in our 2 Springer Spaniels name, Betsy and Moxie. We also have a 4' Lion we have called Cecil in memory of the lion in Africa. Our forum name is CuJo's Pride which is our first 2 letters in each of our names, Curt and Jo and the Pride is a group of lions so I guess we took the Born Free route all the way..

This is an interesting topic.. Thanks

Jo
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
David and Susan Bratt

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

Ours is "Rover" after our old long gone dog. The name fits for so many reasons. When we bought the second one we named her "Golly" as in "Good golly, what have we done!" But we now only have Rover.
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

We were considering Alex :D
2012 25' rb
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I am thoroughly enjoying these. The thread obviously struck a chord with many. Please continue.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
richnwendy

.Re: Do you have a pet name for your Born Free?

Post by richnwendy »

Wee Beastie (the second). Not sure how the name evolved, but even the crew at storage facility call her that.
Happy trails.
2014 23' Freedom (2nd BF)
Re-starting retirement
jjhepkin

Post by jjhepkin »

I have called ours by many names depending on my state of mind at the time.

The name I called it the night we broke down miles from civilization and waited until 2:00a.m. for a tow (that name won't be repeated!!) (Had you made an offer at that point it would have been yours!!)

Usually its "The Buggy" (i noticed someone else is using this too.....they do have our permission, no royalties will be assessed..)

I have also called it "The Money Pit" (especially after putting new tires on it this year); and our grandkids call it "The House on Wheels."

We do love the life style it gives us though.

great thread

john
John & Janet Hepkin

2009 28' RSB Kodiak Chassis 8.1L
Previously owned 2004 Chinook Destiny
whemme

Post by whemme »

I can understand The Money Pit name at times. I just had mine in for new Firestone Transforce HT tires quoted installed for $1250.00. However, I also asked that the alignment be checked and at 89,000 miles the fact that my 2000 Ford E450 chassis came with ball joints without grease zerks caught up with me. A complete front end rebuild & alignment cost an additional $2,000 for a total bill of $3,250. Ouch! This was not a Born Free problem but the fact that Ford built some of their chassis with ball joints that could be greased and some with ball joints that can't be greased periodically.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Bonnie McDowell

Post by Bonnie McDowell »

Harvey, the RV (get it?). Named after the tall white rabbit from the Jimmy Stewart movie (although he was only 6 feet, 3 and 1/2 inch). Harvey was a pooka, benign but mischievious.

Of course, the male name is totally appropriate - men are much higher maintenance. :lol:
Bonnie McDowell
2002 Born Free 24' RB on Ford E450/V10
My first RV - purchased September 2012
wandering bark

Post by wandering bark »

I loved the Harvey allusion! While the response to the movie question as to why Harvey the rabbit was so tall was, "because no one ever takes anything small into a bar," it sort of applies to the cost of this lifestyle...not a lot small about the cost...but the freedom is huge. Some new tires, a tank of go-go juice, and you've got mountains, forests, beaches, landscapes...extraordinary. Just musing, long weekend and it's going to rain again. :( Love reading all the names for y'all's Born Frees. Great thread.
Wandering Bark 2010 Born Free 27'
norijake

Post by norijake »

In another life, I was a military and an airline pilot. My wife was a flight attendant. We both started flying around the same time and met on one of our initial trips. We were based in the north (she - ORD, me - JFK), but neither of us liked the cold weather so we moved to FL and commuted to work. Living in FL, we became enamored with sailing and lived aboard various sailboats for many, many years. Eventually we reached the age where caring for a sailboat became too onerous so we left the sailing life behind and opted for "land-yachting" planning to see at ground level some of the USA we've seen from the air. We named our Born Free SAL for the traveling we've done by sea and air and the traveling we plan to do by land as soon as our little old man, a sixteen year old, five pound Yorkie who now hates to travel, passes on. (edited - actually we call our Born Free by the more feminine name "Sally" rather than Sal although I suppose either could be construed as feminine, simply in the eye of the beholder :) ...)

Our license plate reads SAL J (J for our last name). Not long ago I received a notice from FL that I had driven through a toll gate and hadn't paid and I was being billed for the fee. They sent a poor resolution picture from the toll booth camera but the FL tag did look like mine (a salute to veterans vanity plate) so I drove over to the storage facility to see if my tag had been stolen. It was still on the RV so I looked closer at the poor picture that I had received because I couldn't imagine there would be two SAL J plates issued by the FL DMV. Turned out the plate in the picture was S4L J, just very difficult to make out. The FL DMV agreed that is what the tag said after I pointed it out to them, but the two tags sure did look a lot alike.

Hope to be back on the road soon. By the way, our new toad will be a 1997 Heritage Springer with a Motorvation sidecar I recently installed. It was either going to three wheels or quitting biking. The Springer was getting too heavy for my old back to hold it up and now I'm learning a great new adventure as a sidecarist. Had I known how much fun a sidecar can be, I would have added one long ago.
2004 26' RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”