Clearances at back of Born Free

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

funpilot

Clearances at back of Born Free

Post by funpilot »

Can I get the clearances for the various models between the drag wheels (at the back end of the Born Free) and the ground? I remember that my 1999 24RB Bornfree dragged loudly going into my driveway and am wondering if that changed on newer models and if I can get a larger unit. A secondary question is, how much "lift" can those wheels take without damaging them?

Please simply list Year, model and clearance. Would be a good list for others as well... Thanks !!
whemme

Re: Clearances at back of Born Free

Post by whemme »

My 1st Born Free was the same year and model as yours. My current 2002 BF 26' RSB coach has an even longer extension behind the rear wheels which means it will drag those wheels even in smaller dips in driveway intersections. My concern would not be damage to those drag wheels but putting excessive forces of the frame extensions that are always added by the motorhome manufacturers to extend the frame rearward farther beyond what Ford delivered the cut-away chassis with.

If you too put too much upward force on those drag wheels, I would be concerned about the possibility of breaking a frame extension - now that would be a probably be a real disaster.

But to answer your question about clearances, I don't have the answer and will depend on a lot of variables. How much weight are you carrying in the rear of the coach? How much pressure are you carrying in your rear air bags? Is your rear suspension modified in anyway such as with SuperSprings?

If clearance is a real problem for you, you might consider going to a good truck shop and have them add an additional leaf spring on each side of your rear suspension to raise the rear of your coach.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
funpilot

Post by funpilot »

I think I will have to raise it a foot. Is that possible?
whemme

Post by whemme »

No, I don't think so. If you have to raise the rear of your coach a foot, you are trying to go thru too much of a dip.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

The Liquid Springs option has a full extension mode to raise the rear to it's maximum height.
2012 25' rb
funpilot

Post by funpilot »

Wow, just got a response from Born Free and they said my driveway is a real problem. So, does anyone have an cheap way to build a temporary/removable/lightweight "bridge over my dip?
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

funpilot wrote:Wow, just got a response from Born Free and they said my driveway is a real problem. So, does anyone have an cheap way to build a temporary/removable/lightweight "bridge over my dip?
Attachments
Pictures.jpg
Pictures.jpg (71.89 KiB) Viewed 13946 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

I have liquid springs on my 2015 27' Splendor. It has the capability to raise the suspension 6 inches. Doesn't seem like a lot but it makes a big difference. I do not hit the drag wheels when entering steep inclines, gas stations or driveways. I am sure that there are some that might cause a problem but a little bit of caution will eliminate most of those. In addition, this ability to raise or lower the suspension 6' has resulted in very few times that I have actually had to get leveling blocks out to level the coach. Usually that has ocurred when there was a side to side leveling issue. This feature is a nice addition to the great handling and ride improvement from the liquid springs.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
funpilot

Post by funpilot »

bcope01 wrote:
funpilot wrote:Wow, just got a response from Born Free and they said my driveway is a real problem. So, does anyone have an cheap way to build a temporary/removable/lightweight "bridge over my dip?[/quote Enjoyed ]

Am travelling, so will post a pic when I get back.
funpilot

Post by funpilot »

jlef123 wrote:I have liquid springs on my 2015 27' Splendor. It has the capability to raise the suspension 6 inches. Doesn't seem like a lot but it makes a big difference. I do not hit the drag wheels when entering steep inclines, gas stations or driveways. I am sure that there are some that might cause a problem but a little bit of caution will eliminate most of those. In addition, this ability to raise or lower the suspension 6' has resulted in very few times that I have actually had to get leveling blocks out to level the coach. Usually that has ocurred when there was a side to side leveling issue. This feature is a nice addition to the great handling and ride improvement from the liquid springs.
That is impressive. What do you think it costs to add it to a BF already made?
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

At the 2014 factory rally I was told that the option was $8,000. It's likely it would cost more to retrofit the system.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
stevek

Post by stevek »

An idea, for easing the curb drag?
But constructed more heavy duty.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-10-02 at 3.32.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-02 at 3.32.02 PM.png (136.09 KiB) Viewed 13842 times
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
funpilot

Post by funpilot »

Stevek, I think your solution could work. Will go to Home depot after I get a Born Free ... still on the hunt.
karls

Post by karls »

Our 1998 24RB has suffered damage to the grey and black tanks and plumbing thereto when driving off payment over rolling terrain, terrrain that didn't look very rough. Even if the rear drag wheels might have helped, they simply dig into the ground and do nothing. The drag from the rubbing tanks shifts them rearward, breaking and dislodging plumbing.

There is a silver lining to the long overhang in that when repairing the damage or doing work back there, driving the front wheels over a down slope with the rear wheels on the high crown the rear end is elevated nicely.

Karl Striedieck
Rob

Post by Rob »

Steve

I had the problem of a low driveway entrance also. Solved it by putting a 2X4 across the low spot.

Rob and Joan
2003 24RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”