1998 born free generator

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

rick1949

1998 born free generator

Post by rick1949 »

I forgot to turn on the propane when I went to charge my batteries at the storage area where there's no electric and the generator ran out of gas. So, I'm wondering if there's anything special to do, other than turning the gas on again, to start it. I have heard that you shouldn't let the generator run out of gas. What should I do?

Thanks Frederick Sutherland title vin1FDWE30SXWHA11348
whemme

Re: 1998 born free generator

Post by whemme »

Frederick,

You don't say if your 1998 Born Free is diesel powered but the implication is that it is since you think your generator is run off of your propane tank. If so, just turn on the propane tank valve and your generator should then restart OK.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

A check of the VIN shows it has a 6.8L V10 SOHC 20V engine which is gasoline. If that is the case, I doubt that the generator runs on propane. If either gas or propane there would be no problem with just turning the fuel supply on and starting it up.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
whemme

Post by whemme »

So probably the generator runs off of gas coming from the main chassis fuel tank. Remember that if the gas in the tank is lower than approximately 20 - 25%, the generator will not run. The pickup tube for fuel to power the generator only sticks down into the tank from the top to that 20 - 25% of full level. This was done so that the generator could not deplete all of the fuel in the main full tank and therefore preventing the V10 chassis engine from starting and being able to drive away with the RV.

If the fuel level in the gas tank was low, the generator would start an maybe run 30 seconds just on the fuel remaining in the fuel line from the generator to the fuel tank and then the generator will quit.

My guess is that your generator is an gas Onan 4KW unit.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”