Help, buying out of state?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

shadowcat410

Help, buying out of state?

Post by shadowcat410 »

All - can I please ask for your opinions?

I am in TX and missed an opportunity on a perfect BF for me... :( so I don't want that to happen again. (as there are a limited number of BF's w/ overhead bunk in my price range) So I am thinking about flying out from TX to AZ to check this one out. I will contact the seller to ask them for more details and pictures, but what do you all think? Any suggestions? Much appreciated!!!

http://www.rvt.com/Born-Free-24RB-1999- ... 1-UX159674

Or should I have a 3rd party inspector look at it first and report back to me? (before flying out to see it?)
Roger H

Re: Help, buying out of state?

Post by Roger H »

Those are really questions only you can answer... That looks like a really nice, well-cared-for coach. The cover is a nice touch.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
Fantom

Post by Fantom »

Alek
2002 Born Free 26' RSB
shadowcat410

Post by shadowcat410 »

Roger H wrote:Those are really questions only you can answer... That looks like a really nice, well-cared-for coach. The cover is a nice touch.

Or should I have a 3rd party inspector look at it first and report back to me? (before flying out to see it?)
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

shadowcat410 wrote:
Roger H wrote:Those are really questions only you can answer... That looks like a really nice, well-cared-for coach. The cover is a nice touch.

Are you competent to inspect it yourself? Do you know what to look for, and what the costs of repairs for various issues are? Whether or not you should go yourself depends on how much knowledge you have, how much free time you have, how much you believe the owner, how much you want to fly to TX to look at a motorhome and how much your budget will support either way. Sometimes the third-party inspector works the way you want (if you're of like minds and looking at and for the same things) and sometimes it's less than satisfactory.

I've gone further to look at trailers... sometimes you buy them, sometimes you don't. I guess it's all in the cost of doing business sometimes. It's disappointing when you get there and they're not "as represented." I'd guess from the photos though, that this one is in probably better condition than what you'd ordinarily find a '99 coach in and the 60k miles is definitely low-mileage.
shadowcat410

Post by shadowcat410 »

Roger H wrote:
shadowcat410 wrote:
Are you competent to inspect it yourself? Do you know what to look for, and what the costs of repairs for various issues are? Whether or not you should go yourself depends on how much knowledge you have, how much free time you have, how much you believe the owner, how much you want to fly to TX to look at a motorhome and how much your budget will support either way. Sometimes the third-party inspector works the way you want (if you're of like minds and looking at and for the same things) and sometimes it's less than satisfactory.

I've gone further to look at trailers... sometimes you buy them, sometimes you don't. I guess it's all in the cost of doing business sometimes. It's disappointing when you get there and they're not "as represented." I'd guess from the photos though, that this one is in probably better condition than what you'd ordinarily find a '99 coach in and the 60k miles is definitely low-mileage.
Thanks again Roger! Yes, I guess you're right. Better to spend the money first on my own initial reaction and gut feel, make sure it is as represented online, then go from there. I have noticed a lot of RV repair shops are closed on the weekends, but I have found a few open on Saturday, so I just need to make sure to find one with an extra mechanic available for a couple of hours to inspect. I believe I know what all to look for and I have a checklist, but the part that I have no clue about is the engine. And any mechanic can inspect an engine right?
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Yes, pretty much any competent mechanic who is familiar with the 6.8L V-10 should be able to take a look at it for you. That V10 is pretty bullet-proof. I've had it in an '01 Born Free 23RK and a '00 Excursion. As I recall, the only serious issue with it is with it spitting out spark plugs, and I think that has been resolved. Changing the plugs won't be easy or inexpensive though, and to avoid issues with it, I would have it done at a Ford dealership; not that other mechanics aren't competent to do it, but if it spits a plug after having them changed at Ford, you can hold them accountable for subsequent repairs a little easier.

Figure in the costs immediately of having all of the fluids changed and replaced, the tires replaced (should do that every five years regardless of treadwear,) the shocks replaced, the brake rotors and calipers replaced, the tie rod ends replaced, and the hoses and belts done. The chassis is, after all, sixteen years old. Any of those things that the owner has receipts for that have been done in the past five years are "plus-es" for the coach. If they're not done, they're not minuses necessarily, they're just necessary maintenance items you'll want to keep up on. If for example, after the inspection, the brake rotors aren't warped, and the calipers are good, well then that's even better, and an expense you won't have to undertake immediately!

I went to Oklahoma last March to buy a '95 Coachmen class B camper van with 26k miles on it and 26 hrs on the Onan 2800 genset (that wouldn't run.) The van had a chassis electrical system issue; it wouldn't charge the chassis battery. It is an E250 chassis with the 351 engine. I had engine charging system repairs done and all of the fluids changed and new tires put on before I left Oklahoma. Since then, I've installed a new water heater (the original had frozen and was cracked when I bought it,) had the genset repaired, put a rear anti-sway bar on, had the serpentine belt replaced, the plugs replaced, and had new brake rotors put on as the originals had warped from sitting. All in all about another $4k worth of service and parts, but I now have a nearly-new condition, low-mileage van that I paid less for in total than sales tax alone on a new B-van! Sometimes it all works out.

Good luck!
Flip

Post by Flip »

I have been out there to look that rig over.
Call me if you are still considering.....Brian 507-272-0251

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”