born free cover 24'

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

rick1949

born free cover 24'

Post by rick1949 »

I live in Colorado where the winds are horrendous. Any recommendations on an rv cover brand. Is 4 layer better than 3? Which ones have the best tie downs?
Tahoe

Re: born free cover 24'

Post by Tahoe »

Very interested in a recommended cover as well and best place to purchase.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
whemme

Post by whemme »

Be advised that unless the cover fits very tightly and is tied down very securely, the flopping around of the cover in high winds will eventually cause damage to the gel coat finish on the exterior of your Born Free. Much better to get inside storage if at all available.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
jjhepkin

Post by jjhepkin »

We live in Aurora, Co and have used the Adco Designer Series (3 layer) cover.
It does get windy and the covers do blow around and as Bill said, best to get one that fits pretty snug. Also cover any thing that sticks up and may rub the cover if not the rubbing around may cause a tear or rip in the cover.

From my looking around the last few years, the north side of denver seems to have more rv storage sites. Around our part of town it is almost impossible to find a covered space.

The Adco i had lasted for 3 years. Frankly I bought it more to protect the painted finish from cracking. If your Born Free is not painted I would just clean and wax it prior to storing and leave it that way. The fiberglass finish is pretty tolerant.

One other problem with the covers is they have a tendency around here of collecting dirt and this can do some rubbing against the finish too, with the high winds we get.

Almost forgot...when i shopped around for mine, I found camping world had the best prices on the internet and they shipped it out within 2-3 days from ordering.

good luck
john
John & Janet Hepkin

2009 28' RSB Kodiak Chassis 8.1L
Previously owned 2004 Chinook Destiny
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

This company makes quality custom fit RV covers, you measure to their instructions and they make it.

There was a Born Free owner on the East Coast that had one custom made that was very happy with it (Username Norm).

You don't say your coach year and model, but they may have already have made one and have your measurements in their files.

You could give them a call: http://www.calmarkcovers.com

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

After doing much searching there are several indoor storage places, but all are at least 1 hour from home. The best deal was $115/month with climate control and full security. As far as a cover goes, we'll my neighbor used one on his 5th wheel for 3 Winters in a row and the cover ripped in the second year and totally destroyed all the decals, and while not damaging the gel coat it needs a really good buffing now.

I'm going with indoor storage from late Oct to early May.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
jjhepkin

Post by jjhepkin »

Hi Russ

Great news on finding an indoor climate controlled storage space. I am very envious, since its easier to find "hen's teeth" than a covered, climate controlled space around where I live.

The only one i have found anywhere on the south side of denver charges 250.00 a month, and that's highway robbery; but, obviously they get away with it because no one else has any.

That's a much better solution than any cloth cover you could buy, even if its an hour's drive.

john
John & Janet Hepkin

2009 28' RSB Kodiak Chassis 8.1L
Previously owned 2004 Chinook Destiny
rick1949

Post by rick1949 »

OK, so I went with the heavy duty buffed wax for the winter to get the chalk off, but I wonder how much UV protectant wax provides. I also did an elastomeric roof coating. How often will I have to coat the fiberglass with wax? I'm a spray painter and after all the buffing work I did, I'm wondering if I should have painted this beautiful 1998 bohemian? Any clues from other fiberglass painters out there as to what grit sand paper is right and if there is a well proven primer and paint that holds up? What do I do with the pin stripes around the fiberglass? Citrus striper?
What is the known wear limit of the original paint job?
I need all the help I can get to take care of Elsa. :wink:
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

If you have room on your property, we put up a Versa Tube. You can enclose it as far as you want to. We drive right into it and in the winter we use tarps to protect

Good luck..
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”