remount drivers seat.

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

ChasOButts

remount drivers seat.

Post by ChasOButts »

Simple Question : Has anyone actually unbolted driver's seat and moved it back a few inches? Thanks in advance. Charlie
grross

Re: remount drivers seat.

Post by grross »

No. but I did move the passenger seat back approx. 4 inches so that I could add a swiveling pedestal to our BF 26RB. There is in adequate space on our drivers pedestal to do the same
2008 27' RBRE V-10
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Be careful with moving the front seats if you have air bags. I think it's against the law to move them.
ramblinbob

Post by ramblinbob »

I could use some more leg room as well if you do this let us know how it went.
ChasOButts

Post by ChasOButts »

Well, I did it. I moved the driver's seat back 3 1/2 inches. I can not explain in words what a difference it made. I feel like I am sitting in a Cadillac Brougham! I have 2001 24 rb with captain's chairs behind driver's seat. It was easy.
I got a 10 dollar Torx tp55 PLUS bit from Amazon. A Torx tp55 ( not PLUS) is easier to borrow or find. Though not the exact bit, it has over a 90% chance of working. Of course the nice *%#}##^%% Ford dealer will rent you a bit for $80 a day. You may can find the PLUS bit for 5 bucks at Pep Boys. Heck, I will mail you mine. This bit will remove the front two screws holding seat mount to floor.
A regular socket will remove the two nuts from the rear.
Move your seat forward and backward to get to these front and rear nuts. When finished, slide seat all the way back.....then
Unplug the two electrical connections at front bottom of seat. I left the rear ( or center) wires plugged up since they are so long.
Lift seat up off of floor....at this point....sit it down again 3 1/2 inches back and test how it feels. This will make you say "WOW" and continue.
Remove the seat and lean it over against couch and passenger seat..out of the way.
The rear two mounts have threaded rods sticking up through floor that must be removed. I luckily put a six sided 11/32” bit on my drill and screwed it up...right out of the floor. It probably could be done with vise grips and time. Heck...saw them off.
Looking under the vehicle, I determined ( your model may be completely different) that 3 1/2 inches comes out just right on certain places underneath. You can see daylight where the original 4 holes were. I marked and drilled the holes from the top with a 1/2 inch bit. Be very careful not to hit a hose or wire underneath. It went through two(2) steel floors unlike the previous holes that went through only one. I repeat....you will most likely drill through two steel floors, separated by a few inches....at least on my year and model BF. I tried to measure and purchased 5 inch bolts, which was a mistake. I wouldn't buy over 4 1/2 " ....maybe even 4 inch ones. You measure yourself.
Buy grade 8.....nuts, bolts, lock washers and several flat washers.....all in grade 8. All 1/2 inch size is my personal recommendation. (3/8 inch bolts were original )When you finish, your seat will be bolted better and stronger than the original! Look to destroy a $20 bill. Test your bolts in the holes.
Next is your decision. You can insert nuts from underneath or from top. If I had it to do over, I would go from top next time. I used a pair of vise grips as my helper on opposite side.
One thing I recommend is to "wallow" out the holes at the top...or use larger bit on top because you are not going to get these bolts to line up perfectly with those four holes in seat mount. This way you have a little movement to wiggle them. After you remount your seat, re-hook electrical connections so you can move seat back and forth to help you with mounting it to floor.
I crawled under vehicle and used "still steel" putty to stop up previous existing rear holes. Anything should work, even from top of floor. On the front two holes, I merely hand screwed the two ”T55” bolts back in.
Now.....TOTALLY enjoy..Also note the space to get by the protruding engine cover has increased! What a nice added bonus! Charlie
fayrankin

Post by fayrankin »

Greetings,
Proud 3 or 4th owner of a 2004 RB 22 BFT. I am glad to find this string. I was thinking my coach had been custom built for a "wee person". Seat also seems a bit high? Any idea why they put the seat so far forward? I think it would push you right through the steering wheel. I am definitely going to find that torx bit and see if I can pick up that badly needed extra few inches.

BTW, have owned several other RV's and knew BF only by reputation but this coach had some good owners and at 65K and 14 years the quality still shows.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”