Looking at buying 2001 Born Free 26RB, an advise?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

KTM 300

Looking at buying 2001 Born Free 26RB, an advise?

Post by KTM 300 »

Hello all and thanks in advance for the advice. I've been looking for a class c for about a month now and just happened to run across a Born Free 26RB yesterday. I had never even heard of them before yesterday. After looking at the unit I started doing some research and found this great site. Now about the RV. It is a 2001 or 2002 26RB. The side entry door is behind the rear axle and it has a couch and two swivel chairs. But I haven't been able to find the matching floor plan anywhere. The seller said it is called the "stair way to heaven" model, has anyone heard of this? Behind the drivers seat there is a big built in stair system and behind the passengers chair there is an end table with three drawers and a tv on top of it. I have looked at all the floor plans and havent found this one.
Ok back to the details. 58,000 miles, needs tires, Onan 4K gen has 127 hours on it, V10, has ultraleather everywere, looks good inside, could use a good cleaning outside. I found one wetspot behind the passenger seat, seems very new, no soft spot yet. I did some searching and it seems a few others have had similar leaks in that area.
So I guess my questions are, Which floor plan does it have, what else should I look for, what do you guys think a good price would be?

Thanks.
bcope01

Re: Looking at buying 2001 Born Free 26RB, an advise?

Post by bcope01 »

Yes, they made a 'stairway to heaven' model at one time. Here is a write-up on it : http://www.rv-news.com/oct2000/cvrpage3.htm

If you want more info, suggest you call Kim in Customer Service at the BF factory: (800) 247-1835

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Welcome to the world of Born Free. That coach sounds interesting. I've not seen that floorplan, specifically. Do you have photos?

Among the general class-c motorhome-buying pubic, Born Free is probably the best-kept secret around. They are a low-production number, custom coach builder located here in Iowa. They were family-owned and operated until just last year, and continue the tradition of craftsmanship and one-off coach building, even though they have several "stock" models in their catalog. Their service department still supports every coach they've ever built, regardless of age, and the craftsmanship on the coach interiors is second to none.

I can't stress the factory support enough. While some coach parts may no longer be available because they've changed the body style a couple of times now, the factory will still bend over backwards to do any work to your coach that needs to be done. They're just great folks... and competent. As Bill (bcope01) said above, Kim (the service manager) is pretty much always available to help you out where ever you may be.

I had an '01 23' rear kitchen model. There aren't many caveats with that year of coach... and of course your big expense buying any used coach will be the condition of the drivetrain. I presume it's on the E450 chassis with the V10? You can do your homework on that online. There aren't any issues to report with the coaches themselves other than the occasional leak, as you've found. And that's not unique to Born Free... you should have the roof seams and through-hulls on any motorhome or trailer roof re-sealed about every eight to ten years. I had mine done last fall at the factory on my '06 32 RQ.

As for price, whatever price you and the seller settle on is a good price. You'll want to figure in that tires should be replaced about every five years, regardless of mileage. At 58k miles and 15 years old, you'll probably also want to replace the shocks.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
KTM 300

Post by KTM 300 »

Thanks for the responses guys. im going to back and make them an offer on Thursday, so wish me luck. Hopefully they take the offer and everything works as it should.
KTM 300

Post by KTM 300 »

Here are a few pics.
Attachments
born free 4.jpg
born free 4.jpg (19.48 KiB) Viewed 13493 times
Born free 1.jpg
Born free 1.jpg (25.13 KiB) Viewed 13493 times
born free 3.jpg
born free 3.jpg (32.93 KiB) Viewed 13493 times
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Nice looking coach! That's a floorplan I've not seen. Did you buy it?
KTM 300

Post by KTM 300 »

Thanks Roger. I haven't bought it yet. I'm going back tomorrow to make an offer. I talked to Kim today and he was very helpful and informative.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Nice looking coach.

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
KTM 300

Post by KTM 300 »

Well, I am officially an born free owner! I brought it home yesterday afternoon. Everything checked out and worked perfectly. Now the fun starts. I have already re caulked the side where the leak is and think I have solved the problem, hopefully. Time will tell. I will be getting new tires next week. Thanks for all the advise.
Drew Kirby
stevek

Post by stevek »

Congrats Drew. Welcome to the "club".
By your pictures, looks really good.
The Stair way to Heaven was all new to me. Pretty neat.. :D
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
bfadmin
Site Admin

Post by bfadmin »

Drew,

Now your next recommended step would be to join our Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club. The cost is only $15/year and you can download an application form from this website.

Bill Hemme (bfadmin-2)
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Website Forum Administrators
(bfadmin-1) Dave Moffat - Primary Administrator
(bfadmin-3) Sandy Perley - Assistant Administrator
(bfadmin-2) Bill Hemme - Backup Administrator
(bfadmin) Email: bfadmin@bornfreervclub.org
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

bfadmin wrote:Drew,

Now your next recommended step would be to join our Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club. The cost is only $15/year and you can download an application form from this website.

Bill Hemme admin-2
Congrats Drew! Welcome aboard!

+1 for Bill's advice.

Where was the leak?

Roger
pwrona

Post by pwrona »

Let me add a belated congrats - been off line a while.

We bought a 2002 26 RSB with approx. 75K mile in September (AND joined the Leap'n Lions!) for $25k and put a little over $12,000 in it before taking it on a couple of long trips. We put sweat equity into replacing mattresses and cleaning, but most of the money went to the professionals at Rush Truck Center in Orlando and 2 nearby Camping Worlds.

For the money we had all mechanical and coach systems serviced - engine oil changed; fuel filter replaced; transmission flushed and serviced with in-line trans filter installed; wheels aligned; engine tuned with new plugs and wires; radiator flushed and treated and new hoses installed; power steering flushed and treated; rear diff fluid changed; various brakes components replaced and brake fluid flushed; front sway bar stabilizer bushing replaced; lp Service, water htr Service, refrig Service, ac Service, batteries replace, new King digital antenna, generator service, all seams sealed, lp alarm replaced, coach detailed, and a lot of minor etcs.

I believe in preventative maintenance and if there was a fluid that could be replaced – it was.

In between trips we start and run the generator for an hour every month, continue to change the oil every few thousand miles, used GoodStuff RV fuel treatments, and Justice Brothers’ radiator, transmission and specialty products for other mechanical systems. Hopefully with maintaining it like we are, we won't have to pile much more cash into it. Our next 3,000 mile trip planned for mid May up through the Midwest.

Enjoy your new addition!

Phil & Lauren Wrona
Mount Dora FL
2002 26' RSB
KTM 300

Post by KTM 300 »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have been very happy with the Born Free so far. The recaulking appears to have stopped the leak and the next thing I did was to get 6 new Michelin tires and change the engine oil. I took it on a 500+ mile trip this past weekend to a motorcycle race and it did great. I was pulling a 6X12 enclosed trailer with 3 dirtbikes in it and three guys on board. I ran about 70/75mph and got 7.6MPG. Not the best but luckily gas is cheap right now. Thanks again for all the info and advise.

Drew Kirby
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

70-75 mph is going to kill your gas mileage. My best gas mileage is at 63-65 mph.

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”