A beeping Norcold error message

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Union Jack

A beeping Norcold error message

Post by Union Jack »

We have owned our 97 Born Free "Elsa" for a year and we have been getting a beep saying the fridge door is not closed ALSO for a year! Swiping a magnet doesn't work. Norcold are less than helpful. A dealer in Arizona wanted to charge $80 and hour to diagnose, another said get a new door. Is there any wisdom out there on this problem?
hindeb

Re: A beeping Norcold error message

Post by hindeb »

I had downloaded the Norcold service manual last year when I was having problems with a cooling unit leak. I looked at the manual and it said to check the interior light and thermistor connection. (It is located near the light in the refrigerator box). If that is OK then try to run a magnet (or magnetized screw driver) along the top of the refrigerator door to activate the reed switch that is on the display control board. I had the parts saved from my old unit so I popped the display board out of the black plastic housing. The reed switch on my unit is located below the "ON-OFF" switch. The switch is a 'normally closed' type that will open the circuit when a magnet is near. I was using a strong magnet and did not have to get very close to open the switch. The service manual also ask if the door was installed correctly and aligned. If the magnet does not work, its possible your reed switch is stuck in the closed position. I have my old one and you are welcome to it if you want.
Good Luck. ("If its not broken, we can probably still fix it")
Bruce & Teresa Hinde
Steamboat Springs, CO
2004 26RB Diesel
2001 Jeep Wrangler

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”