DISH KingDome replacement needed

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

thestoloffs

DISH KingDome replacement needed

Post by thestoloffs »

Since DISH has changed their modulation system from QPSK to 8PSK (don't ask for a technical explanation -- I can, but it'll take an entire semester), my KingDome antenna on the roof is no longer usable for receiving it.

King Controls has suggested that I move to DirectTV or buy an external dome -- Tailgater, Carryout, Anser, Pathway, etc. First, we use DISH for my RV's on-demand subscription, because we are traveling less frequently. Second, our coach is a Mobility unit, which indicates that we now lack the ability to lift and tune-in a 20+ pound portable antenna. That's why we went with automatic antennas for both satellite and OTA (the Sensar Automatic, which itself has been obsoleted in favor of the Rayzar Automatic).

Kim, what dome is BF installing these days?

Has anyone else hit this roadblock yet? What have you done about it?
Marilynn & Gerry Stoloff
Coconut Creek, FL
Former owner of 26' Mobility
thestoloffs

Re: DISH KingDome replacement needed

Post by thestoloffs »

Update from Kim:

Although the factory has switched from Winegard to King Controls for the OTA antenna (Sensar to Jack), they've made the reverse trip -- King to Winegard -- to use their RoadTrip line of dome antennas.

Any comments from the peanut gallery?
Marilynn & Gerry Stoloff
Coconut Creek, FL
Former owner of 26' Mobility
Steve

Re: DISH KingDome replacement needed

Post by Steve »

I installed an HD RF Mogul Sat dish for Dish Network: http://rfmogul.com/eagle_dish_network.html They are built in Salt Lake City. It locks onto the satellite about 3 times faster than our old MotoSat MD500 dish. The longest lock time was about 3 minutes. It stows to less than 9" in height and has a 91cm (36") dish. I mounted it on the rear behind the air conditioner of our 2005 24RB.

Steve

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”