Alaska question

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

CuJo's Pride

Alaska question

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Curt and I are heading to Alaska next year and we are looking for advice on the best time of year to go. We'd like to see the northern lights. Has anyone gone in March or September? I guess the northern lights are best seen in the winter but obviciously Alaska in the winter might be a bit tough (although we are used to winter being from Minnesota:)

Any advise is welcome.

Thanks

Jo
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
harrisgowing

Re: Alaska question

Post by harrisgowing »

Jo, we have been to Alaska in late May and in September and the weather was okay, although in May there is still some snow and it does snow some in late September. The biggest problem is finding open campgrounds, because they tend to open in May and close by mid or the end of September. If the weather is bad we found that a couple even closed earlier than their posted date. I think March would be impossible in a motorhome because of the lack of facilities.
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Did you see any northern lights while you were there?
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

No northern lights in 4 trips, unfortunately. But, in early summer, some mosquitoes the size of small birds!
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

I have been to Alaska 9 times and I generally like to start out from home around early May. That means I'll be in Fairbanks by June 20th for the longest day light of the year. I also like to be in the city of Kenai on the 4th of July for their celebrations. I have never seen the Northern Lights even the one time I went in December.
cmeadows

Post by cmeadows »

My preference is later in the summer but I’d go anytime and enjoy it.

Locals say there are 2 seasons in Alaska—Winter and Construction. We’ve been in June, July and August. For the best scenery, there is more snow on the mountains earlier in the summer. If you go later in the summer the roads will be in better shape and you get to drive on completed road work from earlier in the year.

There are fewer mosquitoes later in the year. We went last August and had no problems with mosquitoes in the daytime. Had some at dusk but not enough to use our Ben’s 100 repellant. The Alaska Highway through the Yukon was a different story—lots of mosquitoes.

We’ve seen the Northern Lights once in four trips—July ’93 heading home on the Alaska Highway between Whitehorse and Watson Lake. We had a spectacular display of the Northern Lights at 1 A.M. that lasted about an hour. It started with a flicker on the horizon and then grew to cover the sky. It was amazing.
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”