Heading to Gulf Shores AL

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Nancy

Heading to Gulf Shores AL

Post by Nancy »

anyone been there have any suggestions on what to see, not see and any place super dog friendly?
2005 26' RSB Casual Elegance
Dallas Baillio

Re: Heading to Gulf Shores AL

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Great Gulf seafood at Felix's on the causeway between Mobile and Spanish Fort. A dog park in Fairhope. Cutesy downtown in Fairhope with a nice pier on Mobile Bay. To the West of Gulf Shores is Fort Morgan. Admiral Farragut, when moving into Mobile Bay during the Civil War said "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead." Good birding site. Also ferry to Dauphin Island another great birding site. Lots of birds that winter in Mexico are passing through now. Gulf Shores and Orange Beach are both tourist towns with great beaches frequented heavily this time of year.

Specific questions? Just ask. I've lived in the area since 1977.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

Thank you SO much.
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

We just got home from a trip that ended in Gulf Shores. We like to stay in Gulf State Park which is huge, has full hookups and very nice paved biking and walking trails. There is also very nice state park beach close by, a large swimming pool, great laundry facility. Ditto to Dallas' suggestion of Fairhope. Enjoy!
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

We are staying at a small RV park....Bay Breeze RV with 4 other friends and another is renting a house 1 mile away. It's a sorta small NOLA Lab Rescue reunion with all our rescued dogs so we were hoping to have places to take them with no problems.
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Nancy, you can access the paved trails from several places and leashed dogs are allowed. They are very nice and mostly shaded if it is hot. Check out bringfido.com under Gulf Shores to find a stretch of beach that is dog friendly, a fenced dog park and a map of the state park trails. There is also a long paved trail along the road that I am pretty sure goes right in front of your campground. We have biked that trail for miles and it was not crowded.
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
Dallas Baillio

Re: Heading to Gulf Shores ALSO

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I lived on Dauphin Island for 10 years. All beach areas are public and dogs are allowed. In contrast to Gulf Shores and Orange Beach DI is quiet and laid back.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Thanks to Judy Harris I checked out the bringfido website and found this--a dog park in Gulf Shores.

http://www.bringfido.com/attraction/cit ... res_al_us/
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Read negative comments about the beach at Fort Morgan. Just so you know those are not oil rigs in the Gulf. They are natural gas rigs. Locals don't like them either. However, they are, in my view, a minor distraction. What I really don't like is that much of the gas is piped to Florida so they can have uncluttered beach views!! NIMBY rules :evil:
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”