E 450 Ford recall

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

robert newby

E 450 Ford recall

Post by robert newby »

if your Born Free is on the 450 chassis you should check to see if it is affected by the Ford recall just announced
BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Any additional information?
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
KTnLen

Post by KTnLen »

This is the most recent recall on Ford vehicles, including the E450, that I found at the NHTSA website: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
FORD / E450 1996-2002

FORD / ECONOLINE 1994-1996

FORD / EXCURSION 2000-2002

FORD / EXPLORER 1998

FORD / F250 1994-2002

FORD / F350 1994-2002

FORD / F450 1994-2002

FORD / F550 1994-2002

FORD / MOUNTAINEER 1998

Type: MULTIPURPOSE PASSENGER VEHICLE
Recall Number: 06V286000
Summary:
ON CERTAIN TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH SPEED CONTROL, GASOLINE OR NATURAL GAS ENGINES, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY OVERHEAT.
Consequence:
OVERHEAT COULD RESULT IN SMOKE, OR BURN AND IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A FUSED WIRING HARNESS INTO THE SPEED CONTROL SYSTEM FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON AUGUST 7, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FORD AT 1-866-436-7332.
Notes:
FORD RECALL NO. 05S28. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

This is an expansion of a 2005 recall for a narrower set of vehicles. If you want vehicle specific info you can go to MyFord.Com and register your vehicle by VIN. They have a function which checks for specific recalls for that VIN.
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I'm so glad to be a member of this Club....as not being the original owner of my BF, I would not have known about the recall from Ford (as I assume they contact the original owners only when there is a 'recall')
Anyway, the Ford website wasn't much help and the other website noted in a previous post wasn't 'working'....so I ended up calling the nearest Ford dealer to find out if my BF is part of the recall....and yes it is. I have a '99 and figured it probably wouldn't be a part of this....However, the dealer asked for the VIN and upon looking it up said 'Yes Ma'am' ... bring it in. He said it only takes about 15 min. to make the 'correction' so I can wait while it's being taken care of.... As I've just gotten back from a week on the coast in Northern Calif. and am leaving again in 2 wks. for Southern Calif. I'm going to have this done before I leave. I'll post my experience if it's out of the ordinary....and a big thanks to those that posted about this ... I wouldn't have known about it otherwise.... 8)
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Char -- say Hi as you pass thru San Luis Obispo -- Bob Newby
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Thanks Bob for the invite but though I think your area is one of the nicest, I don't travel that way to go to Palos Verdes Estates where my daughter lives. I usually take 5 and cut off to go to Bakersfield where I have a favorite RV park I like to go to then I head back to 5 and take 405 (a parking lot at any time of the day) down to Kelly's. I've never traveled 101 south in my RV. I hear that it's a beautiful drive but more rugged than I care to deal with. We were up in Klamath salmon fishing & ended up taking 255 across (instead of 101) to hwy. 5 because there was a big concert in the Redwoods (on 101 south) and we figured that would tie us up for hours....anyway, there was a big fire around 255 and though it was contained and we got through okay...it's a long winding (hair pin curves) and up and down steep grades...that took hours to navigate. Took us almost 12 hours to get to San Jose & as I've never driven that long, I was totally exhausted when I finally arrived home...At this point driving the Grapevine doesn't seem to hold the same 'terror' to me...Anyhow, appreciate your offer...happy travels to you & yours..... 8)
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Charlotte -- if you want to avoid the Grape vine try 101 to Ventura and then 246 over to I-5 -- I go that way all the time -it is a good road --
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Bob...if I'm understanding you correctly...I'd be taking 101 all the way to Ventura from San Jose....that's a long trip with lots of scenery and towns, etc. At that point I might as well stay on 101 to the 405. If I were interested in the sights I agree with you....but my trip (as I travel alone usually) is mainly to spend as much time with my family down there...so traveling by the shortest route is my goal. One of these days I will certainly try the 101 route south as I hear it's really pretty....but I certainly appreciate your input.... 8)
2002 Born Free 24' RB

E 450 Recall

Post by 2002 Born Free 24' RB »

Last week I recieved a notification from Ford that my E450 had a recall on it for the speed control. I called the local Ford dealer to setup an appointment and they told me it would only take 5 minutes to fix and just stop by sometime. Today I stop in to have the necessary work done and when the mechanic went to install the fix, he told me that the speed control on my E450 was different then the one on the recall. The service manager was going to call Ford to see why I had been sent a notice and if anything needed to be done. I was wondering if anyone else ran into this problem with their E450. Mine is a 2001 Ford E 450 V10 gasoline engine.
robert

Post by robert »

I received a letter from Ford. I checked the Ford website and they said to verify with the dealer that they had the part. Called my local dealer and was assured they had the part. I made an appointment for ten am this morning, dropped it off, had some lunch and they called me to say it was fixed.

It gave me an opportunity to take the unit out of storage, run it around for ten to fifteen miles and run the generator. Only bad part of the day was that it was raining and I had to put her back in her stall still wet, with a little road grime. Maybe she will forgive me!

I have a 2002 24RB on a 2002 Ford Chassis.
Nathan Cook

Ford Recall

Post by Nathan Cook »

I too received a letter from Ford (after seeing the information here first) and took my BF24RB in on Tuesday. I didn't even get through a first article in the waiting room magazine before they told me that the job was finished. :)
Nathan
BornFree_n_Now

Ford Recall

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Can anyone tell me where exactly the "FUSED WIRING HARNESS" is placed in the speed control system ~~ specifically, "under the hood" or "under the dash"?

The reason for my question is that our "under the dash" has a lot of aftermarket wiring, which I really hope will remain unmolested by the dealerships’ technician ~~ everything works now, but after wires are pulled and prodded ~~~
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Just had my 'recall' work done today. As others have posted, it only takes 10-15 minutes. However, I stayed with my BF and watched the installation. It's installed under the hood, behind the fuse box. It's a little tight for the installer to do as there's not much room to work in, but it's really a quick fix. The guy told me that the harness has a fuse in it (which I suppose prevents overheating & eventual fire danger). But I'm no mechanic & I'm just repeating what he said about the fuse in the harness. But what was interesting is he told me that if my cruise control doesn't work ( whether now or in the near future), that I should bring my RV back cause there's a switch that they install that fixes that. I don't use my cruise control as a rule, but before I go on my next trip, I'm going to take it out on the highway & give it a try....just to test it. Oh...I have a '99 V10 on the 450 chasis.... Don't know if that matters, but thought I'd mention it just in case it's important.....Oh yes...and the other thing he told me is that it doesn't matter if you use or don't use your cruise control, a fire can still occur....... 8)
Mel Wilbur

Ford recall

Post by Mel Wilbur »

There is a picture of the Fused Jumper at www.ohiolemonlaw.com/safety-recall-5.shtml
Mel & Connie

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”