WISH LIST FOR MY NEXT BORN FREE COACH

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Judy: Hit the "insert" key on your keyboard
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
Judy Harris

Post by Judy Harris »

Larry and Sharon, thank you so much for clearing up that very annoying problem on the computer. Sam, you are my hero! We have about 1,000 square feet of slate that we installed in our "last before the old folks home" house and natural is the best. But, it is a tad heavy for the BF. And, frankly, vinyl is easier, if that is the goal. (And if you have cats, having lived through the demise of two very, very old cats, whom I still miss. Long live Charlotte!)
Judy Harris

Post by Judy Harris »

Sorry, Cinderella, I meant to call you by your proper name. Please excuse the error. (Sam, what kind of a name is that for a self-respecting feline?! Nobody ever subrogates a cat.)
Roadtech

Post by Roadtech »

My wife and I have a 2006 BFT. We picked it up June 1 in Clermont and have put over 5000 miles on it over the summer. We love it. The size is perfect for us, and the layout and quality is the best. Below, I list a few things that would improve it. Some of these are minor things, but some I think would make a major improvement:
1. Bumper mounted rear spare tire.
2. Rear power door locks.
3. Easier way to provide for a table between the sofas. (I have no idea of the best way to do this, but the current tripod mounted table setup is an extreme pain to set up, take down, store, etc.).
4. In the bathroom, remove the part of the sink that goes down to the floor, which would provide some more precious floor space in the bathroom.
5. Put 2nd lower window on the back door (older models had this) to give a little more visibility out the rear.
6. Mount powered speakers on cabinets on each side of TV and run the TV/DVD/CD sound through them.
7. Replace Delta with Winegard TV antenna.
8. Replace phone jack with 12v outlet.
9. Sunken stove with counter top cover (additional counter space when stove is not in use)
Steve W

WISH LIST FOR MY NEXT BORN FREE COACH

Post by Steve W »

Alan & Blanche. A comment re your table in the 2006 BFT. My wife & I have a 2004 with the swivel/pivot table that we love. I understand that Born Free no longer offers said table as so many people complained that it developed a definite slant with continued useage. To date, ours is still highly useable, but we are careful with the amount of weight that we place on the unsupported end. You are right, in that the BFT is a delightful vehicle, a pleasure to drive, and without a doubt, one of the better made rv's on the market. As to our table, when and if it develops a definite tilt, we will either try and replace the table or sell the BFT. We have looked at the new BFTs and simply could not concieve where one would store said table, to say nothing of the hassle of putting it up and taking it down. I have been told by an employee of Born Free that the company had solved the tilt problem but went ahead with the type of table you now have. This does not solve your problem, but thought you might find it interesting.
Brent

Post by Brent »

It would be good if the wiring and TV booster was a heavier weight to allow more versatile use of the coach DC plug. The cab accessory plug is 25 amps, I think the rating (at least on mine) on the coach DC plug is 7 or 8 amps.

If this were heavier an AC TV could be run off of an inverter just plugged into the outlet.
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
mi99amigo

Post by mi99amigo »

Brent, I agree with you, somewhat. The DC plugs are fused at 10 amps, unlike the cab plugs. I tried running a tire inflator off these DC plugs and blew the fuses.

However, the factory installed inverter DOES power up my TV and DVD player no problems. I have installed a flat screen TV, DVD player and Stereo systems, all running off the inverter.
Sab & Ann

Wish List

Post by Sab & Ann »

I wish Ford & Born Free would upgrade their tires to a LT245/75R16 LRE so that my tire pressures can be 45psi front and 60 psi in the rear.
I am currently running 55 psi front and 75 psi in the rear.
Sab & Ann
2000 RB, E450
whemme

WIDER TIRES!

Post by whemme »

Sab and Ann,

Increasing the tire size width by changing from the current tire size LT225/75R16E to LT245/75R16E most likely would require wider steel rims and I am sure it would require these new rims to have a wider offset for the rear duals. If the 245 size tires were installed on the present rims, I am sure the inner sidewalls on the rear dual tires would indeed touch and rub against each other.

Adequate spacing between the rear duals is of engineering concern because of the need for the two sidewalls not to come in contact with each other if one of the tires would happen to deflate. Also, when driving over deep ruts and other objects, the tires sidewalls will temporarily bulge outward and again adequate initial spacing must exist so that the tires do not contact each other. Of course wider rims would cause the inside dual's clearance with suspension components to be less and would cause the outside dual to protrude further outside of the wheel well opening.

As you can see, increasing the tire width could cause a necessary redesign of wheel rims, suspension components, wheel well flaring, etc.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Sab & Ann

Wish List

Post by Sab & Ann »

Other OEM's offer optional upgrades on tires which are engineered to the correct rim, spacing and speeedometer ratios. Why can't Born Free get it from Ford?
I would not want anyone to mount larger tires without consulting the OEM.
Sab & Ann
2000 RB, E450
lassen

Post by lassen »

My wish is for Born Free to offer the overhead twin bed option I saw at the Iowa Rally in the Wolf's coach.
Jack & Jan
2005 24RB
Linda Giuliani

Post by Linda Giuliani »

We saw a twin bed option on a BF at the San Juan Rally last week. Pretty interesting . . . I would jump on that in a second IF I thought I could avoid hitting my head in the cab when I got up (the opening is naturally much smaller). I also liked the tiny ladder that just slides up out of site. I think BF will work with you in providing whatever you want when you order a new coach. They aim to please!
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Jack & Jan, I believe that Born Free will also modify your current coach to the twin bed configuration such as the Wolf's.
Mel & Connie
apackof2

Re: WISH LIST FOR MY NEXT BORN FREE COACH

Post by apackof2 »

Born Free doesn't have Ducted A/C Vents & Ducted Heater Vents?? :shock:
Sam Ryan wrote:Feel free to add to my list:

*Heated & enclosed compartmentalization of holding tanks

*One Living Room Slide -- It can be done........

*Ducted A/C Vents & Ducted Heater Vents......esp. in cabover & bathroom

*Factory Installed Spare Wheel and Tire -- Rear Bumper mount

*Factory Installed full-aluminum Alcoa wheels -- six

*Central vacuum system

*Winegard Batwing TV antenna

*CB radio as standard equipment
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Uh, no. Is that unusual? In my 2004 BFT, the roof air can be directed to the front and rear at the roof line. The furnace has 3 clustered ducts near the floor that can be directed somewhat by their individual deflectors.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”