Ford air conditioner

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Steve kellogg

Ford air conditioner

Post by Steve kellogg »

Need a little help. We have a 2005 24'RB E450 chassis. The cab air conditioner keeps cutting out. It runs for a few minutes then the fan and A/C shut off for a couple of minutes. It just keeps cycling like that. Anyone have any ideas?

Steve Kellogg
mike&linda

Re: Ford air conditioner

Post by mike&linda »

Your description seems to indicate low refrigerant level. Have it checked at a service facility. mike
1990 26' RSB Diesel
cmeadows

Post by cmeadows »

Check the air gap on the compressor clutch.

When this happened to ours, I found the air gap in the compressor clutch gapped too wide. The electromagnetic field didn’t have enough energy to pull in the outside metal disk firmly enough to keep the compressor engaged. On ours it was an easy fix. I removed the nut on the end of the compressor clutch, removed the clutch and the washer behind the clutch. I put a micrometer on the washer and found it to be pretty close to the needed reduction in the air gap. I reinstalled the clutch without the washer and measured the air gap again with a feeler gauge. According to the specs, it was a little too close without the washer but it didn’t drag when the compressor was not engaged. We’ve had perfect A/C since removing the washer—that was over 20k miles ago.

Hope you get it solved,
Chuck
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
Steve kellogg

Post by Steve kellogg »

Well an easy fix recharge the air conditioner. The fan is switching back and forth between the upper vents and floor vents. Thanks for the help everyone

Steve Kellogg
2005 24RB
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Steve kellogg wrote:The fan is switching back and forth between the upper vents and floor vents.
Is this good or bad? Is it switching randomly on its own or are you saying it switches when you select upper or floor?
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”