1996 bf 24rb -gross weight question

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

eddiel

1996 bf 24rb -gross weight question

Post by eddiel »

I have a 1996 24rb and have never towed a car. I would like to tow a jeep wrangler, which weighs about 3500 lbs. Does anyone know what my rv would weigh and if i could legally tow this much weight. When i get the chance i will weigh my rv. Thanks
whemme

Re: 1996 bf 24rb -gross weight question

Post by whemme »

eddiel,

Sorry but no one would know the weight of your particular Born Free except you by having it weighed.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I may be wrong, but it is my opinion that towing a vehicle 4 down doesn't add more weight on your chassis. The weight of the towed vehicle is supported by itself. What I would be concerned about is whether the coach has enough power, the tranny is adequate (does it need a separate cooler), the suspension is adequate, and the hitch is adequate. You'll need a brake controller too.

FYI, I have seen many of your model Born Free towing Jeep Wranglers all over the Colorado mountains at Leap'n Lions RV Club Born Free rallies, and without modification.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
eddiel

Post by eddiel »

Thanks for the reply. I know i need to weigh it, just thought maybe someone had one similar they had already weighed.
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Each model year is somewhat different, and different options can vary the weight. Also, how much stuff you put in can vary the weight. Our 2006 24RB probably weighs about 12,300 or 12,500 lbs. with full gasoline, full water and full propane. We are also pack rats, so we weigh a little over 13,000 lbs. going down the road. Our coach is also on an E450 chassis. Your older coach may be an E350. All this makes a difference.

You should load up your coach as you plan to run it down the road and get it weighed. Then probably call Born Free to see what your combined vehicle weight rating is to see if your coach can pull the extra weight of the Wrangler.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I have read that it is possible to determine the weight of a BF by calculating the equivalent number in Kumquats.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
eddiel

Post by eddiel »

thanks dallas
96rsbowner

Post by 96rsbowner »

i have a 1996 rear side bed 24 ft. i have a sticker on the drivers side door area from dodgen ind. that says gvw 11,500.
So i always figured 12000 for my weight . But having it weighed is best for sure.
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Towed towing has both easy and complex answers. Generally, though, assuming that your '96 24RB has the "heavy-duty" E350 chassis with the 460 V-8 and the E4OD transmission, the drivetrain should be able to handle towing a 3500 lb Wrangler under most normal circumstances, especially if you tow it in a predominantly flat part of the country. Bill is correct in that the weight of the towed doesn't add significantly to the GVWR of the chassis, but does present loaded issues; first and foremost is stopping. You'll need a brake buddy or similar device for the Jeep.

Second though, is the kind of hitch receiver setup you have. Most receiver hitches on the E-series chassis are Class III (or even IV) that can handle 5,000 lb towing and a 500 lb tongue weight. I had an '01 23RK on the E450 chassis that had an extra-long 2" receiver that could only accommodate a Blue-Ox style tow bar that would mount to the motorhome. The custom, in-bumper receiver on the '01 23RK wasn't stout enough to handle nearly that much weight because it was attached to Born-Free installed chassis rail extensions that supported the rear of the coach. I don't recall exactly what the tow rating was, but it was around 2500 lbs or so for towing small cars. I'm sure the factory would be able to tell you how yours is spec'd.

I wanted to tow a 6,000 lb travel trailer with mine, and I took it to a commercial truck frame shop and had the frame and hitch reinforced to handle the kind of weight I wanted it to tow. I towed with it for over two years without issue.

FWIW, now I tow my Wrangler Unlimited with my coach, but my coach has the much heavier Kodiak chassis.

Good luck and please report back on what you find out.

Roger
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”