Restring Shades

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

CuJo's Pride

Restring Shades

Post by CuJo's Pride »

How do you replace the strings on the pleated shades (4 cord night/day) that are top down bottom up with cord the tensioner at both top and bottom of shade?

Last time we restrung them we did it wrong.

Thank

Curt
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
bigdipper

Re: Restring Shades

Post by bigdipper »

I once restrung one pleated shade. It seemed well nigh impossible. If I were to do it again, I'd go to a window shade company who do repairs on domestic shades. That is what local RV dealers do also.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
BobnGail

Post by BobnGail »

Search "restring shades" on this site for numerous posts on this subject including one with a link with diagram on how to restring yourself. Personally, I intend to send one of ours back to manufacturer for rest ringing. See post from Oct 26 2016 by Tahoe:

"called Window Specialties and they still restring your day/night shades and include the new bobbins. Price is not free anymore. Cost is $25 per shade plus shipping plus a 5% credit card fee unless you send a check. Contact info is in the Technical Library section. I'll be sending mine off tomorrow. Turn around time is 5-7 days plus shipping time."
http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... f=18&t=870
Bob n Gail
2005 26RB
Oxford MS
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

I found a great site that has a YouTube video and everything. It's called RV with Tito. This Tito guy seems to know a lot about a lot. I'll let you know how smart he is after we have shade success. Thanks for all your help. We live out in the boonies so taking it someplace is a pain. We are 15 minutes from a Walmart. Ok I compare everything to how close a Walmart is. Lol

Going to win the shade war tonight !!
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
whemme

Post by whemme »

Curt & Jo,

You will find some restringing info in the post titled New Style Adjustable Tensioner Bobbins for Day/Night Shades located in the Technical Library section of this forum.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
David and Susan Bratt

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

Having done this a couple of times, here are a couple of hints. If much of it is still strung, tie on the new string with as tiny a knot as you can make and pull the new string through. Keep the shade collapsed rather than spreading it out. Use a large eye needle (like a yarn needle) that will fit through the few eyelets. It's not fun, but it can be done.
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
karls

Post by karls »

To avoid losing the string when they accidentally detach from the anchor in the window frame I tied in a large circular paper clip that is too large to fit into the bottom channel where the strings go. And that paper clip is also the means of hooking to the anchor.
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

I sent them back to the manufacturer and when returned I installed them and they worked perfect. The strings had broken in both and I concidered doing them myself, but had too my other projects in the works. Cost was more than reasonable and time saved was worth every penny.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
JeffatJacks

Post by JeffatJacks »

I'm posting on this existing thread to alleviate cluttering up the forum with yet another restringing thread.

The shades in our 2004 26RB are mounted within the wood window frame and seem to free float on the cords that are attached to the frame at the top and bottom. I'm assuming that to remove the shades I need to remove the plastic "bobbins at the top and bottom that contain the cords and then tilt the shade out of the frame? Most of the info I have found online show shades that have a bar across the top that is screwed to the frame or attached with clips.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
Attachments
IMG_5773.JPG
IMG_5773.JPG (46.8 KiB) Viewed 6041 times
IMG_5772.JPG
IMG_5772.JPG (35.06 KiB) Viewed 6041 times
2004 Born Free 26 RB
Towing a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
perleys

Post by perleys »

Well I don't know if I did it "right" Jeff, but I removed the whole wood frame including the attached blind and took it inside the house to restring on a big kitchen table. The wooden peg covers have to come off and it is a star screw head but was pretty easy to remove the frame and put it back. Real long screws. This pdf is an assortment of info I gathered before I started. I still have a few more to do. I bought the restringing kit online. Good luck, Sandy
Attachments
Day Night Shades Blind Restringing Born Free.pdf
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 358 times
WardPAW

Post by WardPAW »

Curt,

I have re-strung a couple of our shades. I found the instructions on a web site, but the instructions are also posted on this website, as noted by the administrator.

I used 50# monofilament fishing line instead of shade cord. This suggestion was noted during my Internet search. The repaired shades slide much more easily with the fishing line. Tying the knots is a little more difficult, but worth the challenge.
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel
RV Name: Lion PAW

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”