House Batteries - 6V vs 12V

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

tomzleapin

Re: House Batteries - 6V vs 12V

Post by tomzleapin »

For monitoring my battery status I use a combination digital volt/amp meter that displays battery voltage and charge/discharge current that I purchased on eBay:

link: Combo volt/amp meter

Here's another meter with more features:

link: Amp/AmpHour/Volt Meter
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
Rob

Post by Rob »

I have installed the Trojan batteries also. Very happy with them. I have a 2003 24RB and needed to install the current battery holder instead of my original one.
I called Born Free and they sent me the replacement unit.

Rob and Joan Beery
2003 24 RB
Tuolumne, CA
JeffatJacks

Post by JeffatJacks »

Picked up my pair of Trojan 125s on Saturday. Man those babies are heavy. Luckily my vendor gave me the strap that they temporarily use to move the batteries around. They fit my existing tray ok but when I pulled the tray out to clean it up and repaint it, it was heavily corroded. I ordered a new tray from Kim at the factory today. I'm hoping I will be able to orient the batteries as shared by Bill (bcope01) in his post.

Also, my Progressive Dynamics 3 stage charger shipped from BestConverter.com today. Maybe this weekend I'll have all my power upgrades complete. Still need to decide on a battery monitor however.

Jeff
2004 Born Free 26 RB
Towing a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
JeffatJacks

Post by JeffatJacks »

tomzleapin wrote:For monitoring my battery status I use a combination digital volt/amp meter that displays battery voltage and charge/discharge current that I purchased on eBay:

link: Combo volt/amp meter

Here's another meter with more features:

link: Amp/AmpHour/Volt Meter

Thanks for posting these links. These look like a more simple and cost effective solution for the near term. Where/how did you mount your shunt. Also, what is the power source for your device?

Thanks,

Jeff
2004 Born Free 26 RB
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

The shunt for the meter that I have installs in the negative feed from the battery. I disconnected the negative cable where it bolts to the chassis. I then bolted one side of the shunt to the chassis and bolted the cable to the shunt. I installed the meter near the converter where there is wiring that goes to the battery. One problem with the meter that I have is that it requires an isolated power source to power the meter. The voltage sense line can be connected directly to the battery but power for the meter must come from a source that does not connect to the battery. I wired up a 12 volt wall-wart to power it. The second meter that I linked to does not require an isolated power source which would make it easier to install.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
JeffatJacks

Post by JeffatJacks »

Time for a quick update. I installed the Progressive Dynamics PD4655 last Sunday. A big thank you to Bill Hemme and Bruce & Teresa Hinde for the postings in the Modifications section of the forum. It made the upgrade very much a DIY project. I just took my time and went step by step. Kim at the factory sent me a replacement battery tray so my new batteries and tray will get installed this weekend after I do a thorough cleaning of the battery compartment.

Thanks again everyone.
2004 Born Free 26 RB
TomP

Post by TomP »

I always figured that 2x12v were a good option because if one goes out/bad for some reason, at least you can function on the other one.

My 2 cents
1995 Born Free 24' Rear Side Bed
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

TomP wrote:I always figured that 2x12v were a good option because if one goes out/bad for some reason, at least you can function on the other one.
That would be true if the failure resulted from an internal open - but how often does that happen? More often, when a parallel battery fails it takes out it's mate too. :roll:
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
TomP

Post by TomP »

Good point. Fortunately, I've never had my 12v go out on me but I did have 1 of my 6v go out...and I was SOL until I replaced it.
1995 Born Free 24' Rear Side Bed

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”