Smart Tile Dumb BF Owner

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Smart Tile Dumb BF Owner

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I have just finished installing "smart tile". (Same as but sold by Lowe's under another name.)

To prepare for installation I dropped the range hood to work around it and removed the spice rack over the kitchen sink and the interior window trim. At that point I stopped for the day planning to return to the job the next morning. Got up ready to follow my plan. As I looked at the areas where I had done the preparation work I knew something was amiss. The window had fallen out on the driveway! A sinking feeling set in as I rushed outside the determine the damage. I was much relieved to find the window was still intact and the glass had not broken. The frame was bent as it appeared it took the brunt of the landing. I managed to straighten the window frame enough to get a tight fit when I reinstalled it.

I am relating this experience in the event someone else plans on removing a window. All that holds. the window in place is the inside frame. No clips between the window frame and the.opening that it rest in. No connections between the outside wall and the window.

i'm sure that I could have learned this fact with an Internet search or a call to the factory. For me however, I would never have thought to find out. It seemed so beyond reason that I could not imagine that only the inside frame held the window in place.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
stevek

Re: Smart Tile Dumb BF Owner

Post by stevek »

Thanks for the good advice. :D
You are lucky the glass did not break.
Interesting about the "smart tile" at Lowes. I will have to check it out.
I also saw a "smart tile" at our local Walmart store.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Kevin Mason

Re: Smart Tile Dumb BF Owner

Post by Kevin Mason »

Yes Dallas, thats all that holds the window in place. I'm glad there was no broken glass. While you have the window out, just a recommendation, go ahead and apply new Butyl tape around the window, gives a very good seal and keeps the water out. Good Luck.

Kevin and Erlinda
Ozark, Al

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”